Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

June 16, 2024, 02:41:07 pm

Author Topic: Studies of Religion I & II Exam Discussion (and solutions!)  (Read 20130 times)

grae

• Fresh Poster
Re: Studies of Religion I & II Exam Discussion (and solutions!)
« Reply #30 on: October 27, 2017, 01:24:17 pm »
I'm trying to see what I got in the MC, what were the other options for Q6? I can't remember if I put the system of kinship. Thanks!

goodguy

• Fresh Poster
« Reply #31 on: October 27, 2017, 01:28:08 pm »
what makes you so sure that 2 was phillipines, as in doing research it seems that china has a larger immigration base(around 10 or so %) in comparison to phillipine (3 to 4%), and if you exclude the buddhists which account for the 2.5% of population, wouldn't there be a larger percentage christian then phillipines?

alekskobs

• Fresh Poster
« Reply #32 on: October 27, 2017, 01:37:29 pm »
Good to know i got a 10/10 for multiple choice in the 1 unit paper bc it was really tricky!!!! I have a question: If I only wrote one booklet in the 20 marker, can i still get a good mark, like at least a 16/20? Or is it impossible?

dancing phalanges

• Forum Leader
« Reply #33 on: October 27, 2017, 01:46:48 pm »
what makes you so sure that 2 was phillipines, as in doing research it seems that china has a larger immigration base(around 10 or so %) in comparison to phillipine (3 to 4%), and if you exclude the buddhists which account for the 2.5% of population, wouldn't there be a larger percentage christian then phillipines?

Hey I just looked it up and 85% of the population of Philippines is Christian vs 2.3% of the Chinese population. While China is a bigger country it looks like Philippines would be right! I put China too unfortunately!
HSC 2017 (ATAR 98.95) - English Advanced (94), English Extension 1 (48), Modern History (94), Studies of Religion 1 (48), Visual Arts (95), French Continuers (92)

Download our free discovery trial paper!

elysepopplewell

• HSC Lecturer
  • Honorary Moderator
  • ATAR Notes Legend
  • "Hey little fighter, soon it will be brighter."
« Reply #34 on: October 27, 2017, 01:51:31 pm »
I even thought the agnostic question in the multiple choice was debatable given they're not like atheists in the fact that they flat out don't believe in transcendent dimension and I think I ended up putting D which I am not convinced by in the slightest

I agree, I did look at that and think "well technically this answer isn't properly correct, but it's the most correct here" so I empathise with that.

I got all but 1 MC correct (Uniting Church dammit!). I did a good deal on totems for kinship but I didn't mention as much terminology as I should've. I also talked about how Aboriginals are trying to revive the vestiges of dying kinship in contemporary times through modern means, such as the Aboriginal and Islander Dance Theatre (any idea as to whether this is relevant and works? :P).

Section 2 was good, Section 3 was pretty good - other than incorporating a few more Buddhist terms, I liked my essay. Overall, surprisingly easy.

Sounds like you did an awesome job! Although the short answer didn't necessarily require you to talk about how they are trying to revive Kinship, if you linked it well I think it suits the response really nicely!

I'm trying to see what I got in the MC, what were the other options for Q6? I can't remember if I put the system of kinship. Thanks!

Question 6: "In Aboriginal Spirituality, responsibility for one's country is primarily established through which of the following?" Corroborree, kinship, enactment of stories through painting and symbols, or maintenance of the site where one was born :)

Good to know i got a 10/10 for multiple choice in the 1 unit paper bc it was really tricky!!!! I have a question: If I only wrote one booklet in the 20 marker, can i still get a good mark, like at least a 16/20? Or is it impossible?

I remember writing a surprisingly low amount for my essay in the HSC exam, in all of my practices I'd written a whole lot more. But it didn't hurt me too badly at all, so it sounds like you could very well also get a band 6 with only one booklet! :)

Heya! Not absolutely positive, I'm fallible too, but I would put down Phillipines on instinct of knowing the huge Christian population there, and then upon further research out of the exam room, I'd agree to what dancing phalanges has said here:

Hey I just looked it up and 85% of the population of Philippines is Christian vs 2.3% of the Chinese population. While China is a bigger country it looks like Philippines would be right! I put China too unfortunately!
Not sure how to navigate around ATAR Notes? Check out this video!

dancing phalanges

• Forum Leader
« Reply #35 on: October 27, 2017, 02:15:39 pm »
Just realised that the Uniting Church question, in theory, was dead easy!!  >:( >:( haha! I knew that I would have to know when it was established to get the answer and therefore it had to always be 1985 as the answer because if it was established in 1962 for example, that would mean it would only rule out A and hence you would have to find out other little details in the stimulus given which would have been impossible. Does anyone understand why I understand now that common sense should have prevailed  there haha!
HSC 2017 (ATAR 98.95) - English Advanced (94), English Extension 1 (48), Modern History (94), Studies of Religion 1 (48), Visual Arts (95), French Continuers (92)

Download our free discovery trial paper!

celia_li0914

• Fresh Poster
« Reply #36 on: October 27, 2017, 02:16:59 pm »
Hi I am pretty sure got question 20 but forgot the question.

elysepopplewell

• HSC Lecturer
  • Honorary Moderator
  • ATAR Notes Legend
« Reply #37 on: October 27, 2017, 02:25:16 pm »
Hi I am pretty sure got question 20 but forgot the question.

Question twenty had two statements, the first one was about life after death, and the second about reasoning. :)

Just realised that the Uniting Church question, in theory, was dead easy!!  >:( >:( haha! I knew that I would have to know when it was established to get the answer and therefore it had to always be 1985 as the answer because if it was established in 1962 for example, that would mean it would only rule out A and hence you would have to find out other little details in the stimulus given which would have been impossible. Does anyone understand why I understand now that common sense should have prevailed  there haha!
I disagree! I don't think it was easy - if you didn't know what year the Uniting Church came to be, you couldn't answer it confidently. The source gave very little clues outside of that it was titled "Murray Uniting Church" - don't beat yourself up! :)

lcamilleri.53

• Trailblazer
« Reply #38 on: October 27, 2017, 02:31:26 pm »
In the religion and peace essay (for Islam and Christianity), after saying how the pillars of Islam (Zakat and Hajj especially) and Christianity's emulation of Christ both help achieve inner peace and world peace, I incorporated how organisations try to do the same. Do you think it was worth attempting to do so?

elysepopplewell

• HSC Lecturer
  • Honorary Moderator
  • ATAR Notes Legend
« Reply #39 on: October 27, 2017, 02:53:15 pm »
In the religion and peace essay (for Islam and Christianity), after saying how the pillars of Islam (Zakat and Hajj especially) and Christianity's emulation of Christ both help achieve inner peace and world peace, I incorporated how organisations try to do the same. Do you think it was worth attempting to do so?

I suppose you could go down this avenue by explaining how the organisations provide an avenue for individuals to bridge inner peace and world peace!

Jonah_B_Seagull

• Fresh Poster
« Reply #40 on: October 27, 2017, 05:22:57 pm »
What was Question 20's question? I can't remember it now but I am pretty sure I put Both false for both of the Statement 1 / Statement 2 Questions. :-/

Gully_Andreasen

• Fresh Poster
« Reply #41 on: October 27, 2017, 06:29:13 pm »
Is there a copy of the paper yet??

elysepopplewell

• HSC Lecturer
  • Honorary Moderator
  • ATAR Notes Legend
« Reply #42 on: October 27, 2017, 07:54:41 pm »
Is there a copy of the paper yet??

You'll have to check the NESA website - it takes about two days usually for it to appear there :)

dannoabdelnour

• Adventurer
  • School: Mount Carmel Catholic College
  • School Grad Year: 2017
« Reply #43 on: October 27, 2017, 08:23:10 pm »
don't agree with Q8 or Q6

mjorfian

• Forum Regular
  • School: macarthur girls high school
  • School Grad Year: 2017
« Reply #44 on: October 27, 2017, 08:48:13 pm »
THAT WAS REALLY TRICKY MP but i'm glad i didn't change my answers for them bc i think i got most! i loved the short answers (both 5 and 15s) but idk how i did in the essays! for the bioethics question i wasn't that prepared (i only had a general idea and had used your notes for it) but i think  did okay. i had to make up a couple of scholars but I remembered other textual references to support my argument of pikuach nefesh as the overriding law in bioethics which ultimately led to loving your neighbours as people took sympathetic approaches to dealing with such issues. For peace i could have done better but I had only 25 minutes?? For some reason I couldn't absorb the multiple choice quickly as I would usually and I needed the time to think about it! I still managed to smash out 5 pages though as the question was generally pretty easy. My christianity argument was that adherents reach inner peace by emulating the life of jesus (ie. he led a life of prayer and was a fan of reconciliation / forgiving and forgiveness) and I used a Mark quote there and a John one to cover the gospels and my examples were individual prayer and communal prayer at a church as a means of reaching inner peace and then used a bridging quote to show that one must be peaceful to others with the turn your cheek to the other side quote from Jesus. Here i used NCCA act for peace organisation, briefly touching on world peace. For judaism i used the idea of keeping up halachaic obligations in home / family life and relationships in general in achieving inner peace. I used the concept of the shalom aleichom greeting (peace be unto you) and one or two Isaiah quotes (again, I expected to use more but it just didn't happen, and I completely forgot about other quotes that I have used bc i was in a rush!! AGHH) and also the shabbat practices as a day of rest for individuals to reach a tranquil and harmonious state of mind which works as a bit of a double fold bc it also develops relationship with God. Then i linked it to world peace with an organisation. IDK If it came through on paper though, I feel like I messed up some phrasing :( Do you guys think I've done okay enough? I'm stressing if I'll be able to make a band 6 with those essays but I am ranked 1 in SOR 2 so I'm not sure