Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

June 16, 2024, 04:26:57 pm

Author Topic: Studies of Religion I & II Exam Discussion (and solutions!)  (Read 20131 times)

elysepopplewell

• HSC Lecturer
  • Honorary Moderator
  • ATAR Notes Legend
  • "Hey little fighter, soon it will be brighter."
Re: Studies of Religion I & II Exam Discussion (and solutions!)
« Reply #45 on: October 27, 2017, 08:58:08 pm »
don't agree with Q8 or Q6

What did you get for them? And how did you go in the short answer about kinship?

THAT WAS REALLY TRICKY MP but i'm glad i didn't change my answers for them bc i think i got most! i loved the short answers (both 5 and 15s) but idk how i did in the essays! for the bioethics question i wasn't that prepared (i only had a general idea and had used your notes for it) but i think  did okay. i had to make up a couple of scholars but I remembered other textual references to support my argument of pikuach nefesh as the overriding law in bioethics which ultimately led to loving your neighbours as people took sympathetic approaches to dealing with such issues. For peace i could have done better but I had only 25 minutes?? For some reason I couldn't absorb the multiple choice quickly as I would usually and I needed the time to think about it! I still managed to smash out 5 pages though as the question was generally pretty easy. My christianity argument was that adherents reach inner peace by emulating the life of jesus (ie. he led a life of prayer and was a fan of reconciliation / forgiving and forgiveness) and I used a Mark quote there and a John one to cover the gospels and my examples were individual prayer and communal prayer at a church as a means of reaching inner peace and then used a bridging quote to show that one must be peaceful to others with the turn your cheek to the other side quote from Jesus. Here i used NCCA act for peace organisation, briefly touching on world peace. For judaism i used the idea of keeping up halachaic obligations in home / family life and relationships in general in achieving inner peace. I used the concept of the shalom aleichom greeting (peace be unto you) and one or two Isaiah quotes (again, I expected to use more but it just didn't happen, and I completely forgot about other quotes that I have used bc i was in a rush!! AGHH) and also the shabbat practices as a day of rest for individuals to reach a tranquil and harmonious state of mind which works as a bit of a double fold bc it also develops relationship with God. Then i linked it to world peace with an organisation. IDK If it came through on paper though, I feel like I messed up some phrasing :( Do you guys think I've done okay enough? I'm stressing if I'll be able to make a band 6 with those essays but I am ranked 1 in SOR 2 so I'm not sure

It was a tricky multiple choice section! But by the sounds of everything else, it sounds like you did an excellent job. You've been able to relay everything clearly to me in one big paragraph here so I'm sure it transferred on paper well :)
Not sure how to navigate around ATAR Notes? Check out this video!

mary123987

• Forum Regular
« Reply #46 on: October 27, 2017, 09:10:56 pm »
Hey Elyse thanks for your work! i completed the SORII exam and find it to be a very nice exam that ultimately came from the syllabus! quite frankly i was surprised as in the past i've seen alot of trippy questions which cause you to grapple with the question. I felt the essays were very straightword I loved the religion and peace question! but the only think i reckon may have let me down was the multiple choice like a few were just plain simple but others got me . I tried looking at your solutions but quite frankly i cant seem to remember my answers . What mark raw do you think will give a band 6 . Again thankyou
HSC : Chemistry l Physics l Studies of Religion 2 l English advanced l 2 Unit Maths l

*INTERESTED IN TUTORING ? FEEL FREE TO PM ME.
I'M OFFERING TUTORING FOR PHYSICS ,CHEMISTRY , STUDIES OF RELIGION 2 AND 2 UNIT MATHS
REGARDS*

elysepopplewell

• HSC Lecturer
  • Honorary Moderator
  • ATAR Notes Legend
« Reply #47 on: October 27, 2017, 09:20:23 pm »
Hey Elyse thanks for your work! i completed the SORII exam and find it to be a very nice exam that ultimately came from the syllabus! quite frankly i was surprised as in the past i've seen alot of trippy questions which cause you to grapple with the question. I felt the essays were very straightword I loved the religion and peace question! but the only think i reckon may have let me down was the multiple choice like a few were just plain simple but others got me . I tried looking at your solutions but quite frankly i cant seem to remember my answers . What mark raw do you think will give a band 6 . Again thankyou

That's great Mary! I tend to agree with you, I think the questions were very kind although there were some very difficult MC options in there!
I really am not sure about what raw mark would give a band 6, it's hard to say. But a lot of people are saying things very similar to you about the exam - overall friendly with a few MC hiccups. So i don't expect anything spectacular in terms of alignment. I'm so glad to hear you think you went well, and thank you for your kind words, you're welcome :)

mjorfian

• Forum Regular
  • School: macarthur girls high school
  • School Grad Year: 2017
« Reply #48 on: October 27, 2017, 09:38:46 pm »

It was a tricky multiple choice section! But by the sounds of everything else, it sounds like you did an excellent job. You've been able to relay everything clearly to me in one big paragraph here so I'm sure it transferred on paper well :)

genuinely hope so! thanks elyse! And by the way the only reason I could do well for the 5 marker and remember to specify things was because of your lectures and the multiple number of times that you emphasised what the markers were looking for hahaha. I hadn't even revised for Ab spirituality that much but everything just flooded back :D so thank you for that <3

elysepopplewell

• HSC Lecturer
  • Honorary Moderator
  • ATAR Notes Legend
« Reply #49 on: October 27, 2017, 09:46:44 pm »
genuinely hope so! thanks elyse! And by the way the only reason I could do well for the 5 marker and remember to specify things was because of your lectures and the multiple number of times that you emphasised what the markers were looking for hahaha. I hadn't even revised for Ab spirituality that much but everything just flooded back :D so thank you for that <3

This has made my day, it really has :) thank YOU!

mary123987

• Forum Regular
« Reply #50 on: October 27, 2017, 09:53:18 pm »
That's great Mary! I tend to agree with you, I think the questions were very kind although there were some very difficult MC options in there!
I really am not sure about what raw mark would give a band 6, it's hard to say. But a lot of people are saying things very similar to you about the exam - overall friendly with a few MC hiccups. So i don't expect anything spectacular in terms of alignment. I'm so glad to hear you think you went well, and thank you for your kind words, you're welcome :)
Fair enough . Your awesome!
HSC : Chemistry l Physics l Studies of Religion 2 l English advanced l 2 Unit Maths l

*INTERESTED IN TUTORING ? FEEL FREE TO PM ME.
I'M OFFERING TUTORING FOR PHYSICS ,CHEMISTRY , STUDIES OF RELIGION 2 AND 2 UNIT MATHS
REGARDS*

Primallis

• Adventurer
« Reply #51 on: October 28, 2017, 07:39:44 am »
@elyse can you please explain to me how the first statement in Q10 for the MC was false on the SOR Exams?

By non-aboriginals observing kinship groups within the aboriginal spirituality, wouldn't a bond of understanding for their link to the land, their responsibilities and the wider Aboriginal community emerge since it's one of the three pivotal areas of the spirituality? It helps to lead to the process of reconciliation and gain a greater connection as to the Aboriginal Spirituality and how it functions?
Current Subjects (2017):
Economics: 92
Legal Studies: 91
Modern History: 95
Advanced English: 90
Extension English: 46
Extension History: 47
Studies of Religion I: 48
2016: Mathematics: 84

ATAR: 97.8

elysepopplewell

• HSC Lecturer
  • Honorary Moderator
  • ATAR Notes Legend
« Reply #52 on: October 28, 2017, 08:15:39 am »
@elyse can you please explain to me how the first statement in Q10 for the MC was false on the SOR Exams?

By non-aboriginals observing kinship groups within the aboriginal spirituality, wouldn't a bond of understanding for their link to the land, their responsibilities and the wider Aboriginal community emerge since it's one of the three pivotal areas of the spirituality? It helps to lead to the process of reconciliation and gain a greater connection as to the Aboriginal Spirituality and how it functions?

If the word "kinship" was replaced with "reconciliation" then the statement would be completely correct. But, kinship is the full system of Indigenous Australian societal structure and to my understanding it's very rare for a non-Indigenous person to be a part of this (I have met one man in the Blue Mountains once who took us on a tour, and he wasn't Indigenous but had spent his life contributing to Indigenous rights and understanding, so he was accepted in this system). By understanding kinship, non-Indigenous Australians can learn more about Indigenous Australians. But kinship does not necessarily create a "bond" between Indigenous and non-Indigenous Australians. Perhaps it might be a wonderful side product, but it isn't the purpose nor any of the main benefits of kinship, which is why I believe the answer is false.