Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

June 07, 2024, 11:40:59 am

Author Topic: VCE Psychology Exam Sample Solutions and Discussion 2017  (Read 80620 times)

Globe

• Forum Regular
  • Respect: +11
Re: VCE Psychology Exam Discussion and Questions 2017
« Reply #30 on: November 02, 2017, 01:58:42 pm »

I was tossing up exactly the same thing, guys, so I'm not 100% sure. I think adrenaline would definitely be marked as correct (as it is explicitly mentioned in the relevant SD point), but noradrenaline is a pretty fair answer (in my opinion) too.

Agreed. I think this question (among many) will be raised by many of the teachers that mark the exams when they have their meeting prior to assessing.
2017: | Psychology [41->40] |
2018: | Business Management [46->45] | English [43] | Japanese SL [35->43] | Biology [39->40] | Methods [29->33] |
Atar: 96.55 :)

psychdude

• Adventurer
  • Respect: 0
« Reply #31 on: November 02, 2017, 02:03:29 pm »
I don't know how to feel about that exam lol, a mixture of straightforward  and completely bizzare. The worst were certainly the 5 marker on mice results, the nasty 3 marker on caffeine and the shift work notes which were deceptively difficult IMO.

I think I did well on the MC but hopefully the exam is released soon so I can check. I remember chunking ACC DBD in reading time though for the first 6 haha.

pha0015

• Trendsetter
  • Respect: +8
« Reply #32 on: November 02, 2017, 02:06:31 pm »

b) Disgusting antagonist caffeine question.
Ok, so this is a really weird question, so I'll do my best to answer it, but just reinforcing that there are no guarantees this is correct, so don't freak out if you disagree.

The lock-and-key process of neurotransmission describes how the shape of a neurotransmitter must match the shape of the receptor site on the dendrite, in order for it to be taken up and have any effect (either excitatory or inhibitory) on the post-synaptic neuron. As caffeine is acting as an antagonist for adenosine, it decreases the receptiveness of dendritic receptors on the postsynaptic neuron to receiving adenosine. As a result, adenosine is less likely to be taken up by the postsynaptic neurons and have any effect, either excitatory or inhibitory. If adenosine is unable to attach to the postsynaptic neurons, it will be taken back up by the presynaptic neuron in a process known as reuptake. As a result of being unable to attach to postsynaptic neurons, memory function will be reduced, as adenosine plays a key role in this.

Again, I think this is a very nasty question, so there will probably be many opinions on potential answers. I have just tried to relate it back to what is strictly on the study design as much as possible.

I had a similar answer - minus the reuptake part (despite the voice in my head telling me to put it on paper) - would I lose marks for that?

Globe

• Forum Regular
« Reply #33 on: November 02, 2017, 02:09:27 pm »
I had a similar answer - minus the reuptake part (despite the voice in my head telling me to put it on paper) - would I lose marks for that?

I'm curious to know if antagonists were even mentioned in the study design..
2018: | Business Management [46->45] | English [43] | Japanese SL [35->43] | Biology [39->40] | Methods [29->33] |

pha0015

• Trendsetter
« Reply #34 on: November 02, 2017, 02:09:52 pm »
I don't know how to feel about that exam lol, a mixture of straightforward  and completely bizzare. The worst were certainly the 5 marker on mice results, the nasty 3 marker on caffeine and the shift work notes which were deceptively difficult IMO.

The elephant in the room!
It was all kinds of vague - I thought I was just interpreting it too deeply or too stupidly because half my answers were definitions followed by what I thought was the correct answer.

Definitions don't hurt, right? Since there're so many occasions in which the question doesn't specify that it needs the definition, but it does!

Globe

• Forum Regular
« Reply #35 on: November 02, 2017, 02:11:20 pm »

I think I did well on the MC but hopefully the exam is released soon so I can check. I remember chunking ACC DBD in reading time though for the first 6 haha.

Couldn't sum it up better myself. A series of easy questions followed by questions that made little sense and required a lot of mental effort.

miafevola

• Fresh Poster
« Reply #36 on: November 02, 2017, 02:11:56 pm »
+1
Also will you be uploading the real exam? If so, when will it be uploaded

sagisingareddy

• Adventurer
« Reply #37 on: November 02, 2017, 02:17:02 pm »
Hi guys

there were several weird questions in the exam today!!!! LIKE THAT 5 MARKER ON MICE WHAT THA FRICK, AND THE CAFFEINE 3 MARKER
i also like i mustve messed up the neurohormone one ah even though i put adrenaline but didnt explain properly
the 10 marker was alright i guessss

and my mcq..got kinda difficult too cuz some provided answers were just soo similar to each other and specific, i was like hm damnn..!!   :o
i also know ive lost marks in several other places too i just really hope for 40+ ss eeeek

howey

• Forum Obsessive
  • Respect: +77
« Reply #38 on: November 02, 2017, 02:17:18 pm »
+2
I'm curious to know if antagonists were even mentioned in the study design..

Not anywhere I can see, that's for sure...

"It's hard to beat a person who never gives up" - Babe Ruth

howey

• Forum Obsessive
« Reply #39 on: November 02, 2017, 02:18:33 pm »

No idea, to be truthful, but I think if you got the rest you will do alright on it. I wouldn't stress - I would expect the average mark to be very low on that question!

sagisingareddy

• Adventurer
« Reply #40 on: November 02, 2017, 02:22:22 pm »
in regards to the rat question, was it matched participants or independent groups design

OMG SOMEONE PLEASE ANSWER THIS I WAS SO CONFUSED

i put independant ahhhhhh cuz the mice weren't matched together according to a certain characteristic, and i was like hmm they weren't exacttlyyy. what did yall put????

howey

• Forum Obsessive
« Reply #41 on: November 02, 2017, 02:27:39 pm »
OMG SOMEONE PLEASE ANSWER THIS I WAS SO CONFUSED

i put independant ahhhhhh cuz the mice weren't matched together according to a certain characteristic, and i was like hmm they weren't exacttlyyy. what did yall put????

I personally have said matched participants, as it specifically says the mice were 'matched'. Can see your point though.

paranoidchair

• Adventurer
« Reply #42 on: November 02, 2017, 02:41:53 pm »
Do you guys reckon for the lock-and-key process for caffeine question that saying that caffeine fit into the adenosine receptor site would be paid?
2017: Psychology [47] | History: Revolutions [41]
2018: Chemistry | English Language | Maths Methods | Chinese SL

pha0015

• Trendsetter
« Reply #43 on: November 02, 2017, 02:43:03 pm »

d) Zac's family, including his grandfather, could be a source of stigma, as they may negatively judge him for having a mental health disorder. This may result in him delaying treatment as he doesn't want to be judged (e.g. called 'weak') by his grandfather, who is physically ill and therefore may not sympathise with Zac, meaning he is less likely to go and see a mental health professional.

I said that his low social economic status (due to struggle to take care financially for family) could be a source of stigma, as others would look down on him for being poor. therefore he'd feel embarrassed and ashamed, so it'd be less likely for him to seek help.

Does this answer make sense at all - I swear it does in my head

pha0015

• Trendsetter
« Reply #44 on: November 02, 2017, 02:44:15 pm »
Do you guys reckon for the lock-and-key process for caffeine question that saying that caffeine fit into the adenosine receptor site would be paid?

caffeine isn't a neurotransmitter - it's a stimulant