Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

June 16, 2024, 09:12:56 pm

Author Topic: VCE Maths Methods Exam 1 Discussion and Solutions  (Read 51655 times)

Bri MT

• VIC MVP - 2018
  • Administrator
  • ATAR Notes Legend
  • invest in wellbeing so it can invest in you
  • Respect: +3677
Re: VCE Maths Methods Exam 1 Discussion and Solutions
« Reply #90 on: November 08, 2017, 04:59:22 pm »
I think that last question should not be included as the x-intercept of the tangent was clearly not at x=1, as suggested by the answer to part c).

It's one thing to have graphs not drawn to scale but to have an important aspect such as an intercept to be drawn incorrectly is too far imo

As much as many people are frustrated (including me), and I'm not an expert on VCAA I highly doubt that they will scrap the question entirely.
In any event, it is out of our control.We all should've just forced ourselves to continue anyway

tchaikno6

• Trailblazer
  • Respect: 0
« Reply #91 on: November 08, 2017, 05:01:16 pm »
+3
btw for the people that were saying that the gradient is undefined at the point (1,0). Whilst this is true, the question said that a triangle was made so that 90 degrees was formed between the two lines. And it happened that this was a tangent. Therefore at the point (1,0), whilst there is no specific gradient, you can still have an unlimited amount of tangents at that point. This is stretching definitions a bit though maybe. And i think that the diagram was inaccurate cause it was meant to represent a bunch of cases for theta, not just 45 degrees. Hope this might clear up any confusion

fatcakes

• Fresh Poster
« Reply #92 on: November 08, 2017, 05:04:27 pm »
If i got 34/40 in exam 1 and lose only a few marks in exam 2, say around 5 marks what study score would i be looking at, i'd say my sac scores are average in a school with a fairly strong cohort and our sacs scale up by quite a fair bit

LifeisaConstantStruggle

• Forum Obsessive
  • Respect: +104
« Reply #93 on: November 08, 2017, 05:13:45 pm »
If i got 34/40 in exam 1 and lose only a few marks in exam 2, say around 5 marks what study score would i be looking at, i'd say my sac scores are average in a school with a fairly strong cohort and our sacs scale up by quite a fair bit

I had a friend who got almost the same score last year (33/40 exam 1) (75-6/80 exam 2) and she got a 41, her GA scores were (A+ A A+) though, so yeah.
2018-2020: Bachelor of Actuarial Science (+ Econometrics), Monash
2021: Bachelor of Commerce (Honours), Econometrics & Financial Mathematics, Monash
2022-2023: Work and some soul-searching

Bri MT

• VIC MVP - 2018
  • Administrator
  • ATAR Notes Legend
« Reply #94 on: November 08, 2017, 05:27:36 pm »
btw for the people that were saying that the gradient is undefined at the point (1,0). Whilst this is true, the question said that a triangle was made so that 90 degrees was formed between the two lines. And it happened that this was a tangent. Therefore at the point (1,0), whilst there is no specific gradient, you can still have an unlimited amount of tangents at that point. This is stretching definitions a bit though maybe. And i think that the diagram was inaccurate cause it was meant to represent a bunch of cases for theta, not just 45 degrees. Hope this might clear up any confusion

Interesting ideas, my point of contention is that AC is indicated on the graph as having a positive y-intercept. Given that the angle existed for 45 degrees to 90 degrees, this intercept could have only moved further down by changing the angle from 45 degrees. There is absolutely no reason for them to show this as having a positive y-intercept when answers obtained by algebraic manipulation could only produce a negative intercept.

**Not trying to argue with you, just interested in your response

girgle

• Fresh Poster
« Reply #95 on: November 08, 2017, 05:37:04 pm »

I had a friend who got almost the same score last year (33/40 exam 1) (75-6/80 exam 2) and she got a 41, her GA scores were (A+ A A+) though, so yeah.

I'm in a similar boat, however if i full mark exam 2 or lose only 2 or 1 mark which i probably won't, but if I did, are there any chances of being pulled up to a higher study score?

LifeisaConstantStruggle

• Forum Obsessive
  • Respect: +104
« Reply #96 on: November 08, 2017, 06:17:47 pm »
I'm in a similar boat, however if i full mark exam 2 or lose only 2 or 1 mark which i probably won't, but if I did, are there any chances of being pulled up to a higher study score?

Absolutely yeah :) that's why your hopes are not over. Yet.
2018-2020: Bachelor of Actuarial Science (+ Econometrics), Monash
2021: Bachelor of Commerce (Honours), Econometrics & Financial Mathematics, Monash
2022-2023: Work and some soul-searching

mtDNA

• Trendsetter
  • Respect: +55
« Reply #97 on: November 08, 2017, 06:32:48 pm »
+1
Because of that last question, I’m assuming that the A+ band will be lower than previous years (maybe 35/40). It’s just frustrating to study for a subject, only to be plagued with silly mistakes in an arguably easy/moderate exam  :’(
At my school, I think only a handful of the top students, including myself, had a max of ~37. So imo I doubt the A+ cut off will be >37, since that last question really threw all of us off, as well as a portion of the state looking at AN and FB (in saying that, they won’t take it out as that was the main differentiating question). So to all the people who are upset about their performance, just notice that we still have 44% of the study score left!

P.s. Is it still possible to get a mid 40 raw with a low A+ for E1(I reckon I got 33/34 lowest and 37/38 highest out of 40 - SACs are around 100, and I’m rank 1)?

Tutoring by ATAR Notes - learn more!

ATAR: 99.20
Biomedicine (Unimelb): 2018-2020
Doctor of Medicine (Unimelb): 2021-2024

blehblop

• Adventurer
« Reply #98 on: November 08, 2017, 06:37:11 pm »
+1
Is it true that you need 6a to be right, in order to get 6b right (since it says hence). I accidentally used the general formula in part a. But for part b i did it exactly like the provided solutions. I honestly can't afford to lose another 2 marks.

messi10

• Trailblazer
« Reply #99 on: November 08, 2017, 06:39:08 pm »
Because of that last question, I’m assuming that the A+ band will be lower than previous years (maybe 35/40). It’s just frustrating to study for a subject, only to be plagued with silly mistakes in an arguably easy/moderate exam  :’(
At my school, I think only a handful of the top students, including myself, had a max of ~37. So imo I doubt the A+ cut off will be >37, since that last question really threw all of us off, as well as a portion of the state looking at AN and FB (in saying that, they won’t take it out as that was the main differentiating question). So to all the people who are upset about their performance, just notice that we still have 44% of the study score left!

P.s. Is it still possible to get a mid 40 raw with a low A+ for E1(I reckon I got 33/34 lowest and 37/38 highest out of 40 - SACs are around 100, and I’m rank 1)?
what would an A cutoff be you reckon???

Steve252

• Forum Regular
« Reply #100 on: November 08, 2017, 07:17:14 pm »
How do you guys think the last question will be marked considering the various mistakes with the questions itself?
What are the chances of scrapping the question from the exam by giving marks to those who attempted the question?

Jiggleling

• Adventurer
« Reply #101 on: November 08, 2017, 07:20:58 pm »
Just a query, the last question since (1,0) was an endpoint and hence gradient would be undefined how can you find a tangent. Even if it was defined it clearly was not (1,0) as point B did not intersect with the functions x-intercept. Also if it did, then BC wouldn't be a tangent as it would have intersected the function once at B and again shown on the graph? How can this be explained?
(Posted in other thread too)

hk9191

• Adventurer
« Reply #102 on: November 08, 2017, 07:22:12 pm »
Estimate on a study score with B,B+B+??

uhoh

• Forum Regular
  • Respect: +1
« Reply #103 on: November 08, 2017, 07:29:03 pm »
Is it true that you need 6a to be right, in order to get 6b right (since it says hence). I accidentally used the general formula in part a. But for part b i did it exactly like the provided solutions. I honestly can't afford to lose another 2 marks.

Me too!! But I did general soln for only the 1st bracket in a
I used that solved the 2nd bracket on b to get the same ans

Bri MT

• VIC MVP - 2018
  • Administrator
  • ATAR Notes Legend
« Reply #104 on: November 08, 2017, 07:40:36 pm »
Just a query, the last question since (1,0) was an endpoint and hence gradient would be undefined how can you find a tangent. Even if it was defined it clearly was not (1,0) as point B did not intersect with the functions x-intercept. Also if it did, then BC wouldn't be a tangent as it would have intersected the function once at B and again shown on the graph? How can this be explained?
(Posted in other thread too)

Look a couple of posts above yours

How do you guys think the last question will be marked considering the various mistakes with the questions itself?
What are the chances of scrapping the question from the exam by giving marks to those who attempted the question?

I have expressed my unhappiness with the question (for a different reason than most of you) and know that I won't be getting full marks.
This is why I think I'm fairly unbiased when I say this: I think it would be more unfair of VCAA to scrap the question than to keep it. There are people who sunk time into that question and got an answer. These people should have their work and their understanding rewarded.
Lots of the questions tested basic skills, not conceptual understanding & ability to link concepts together. People who are good at conceptual understanding and linking deserve to have that shown in their exam marks.
I think that in the examiners report VCAA will tell us "students are reminded that graphs are not drawn to scale"     while some of us interpreted this differently than how it would be used in that sense, I highly doubt that VCAA will scrap the question, and whatever they choose to do will be decided by people with more experience in methods & maths in general than us.
The exam is done, just make sure that everything from today is learning experience for tomorrow.