Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

June 10, 2024, 11:50:20 am

Author Topic: Low study score, what can I do?  (Read 3916 times)

Fullmethyl Alchemist

• Victorian
  • Adventurer
Low study score, what can I do?
« on: February 13, 2018, 01:05:51 am »
So, you might notice that my account is kind of old. That's because I'm posting for a much younger friend of mine, who is currently starting year 12.

This friend of mine sat VCE Chinese SLA U3+4 last year. The results were:

SACs: B+
Oral: D
Exam: C-

And that gave her a study score <19

We're thinking of getting it reassessed somehow. I think she has already inspected the written exam. The question is, can she get the oral reassessed? Our case for reassessment:
1) There's a big(and I mean big) disparity between her internally assessed oral mark(A-, I believe) and the externally assessed oral mark. I don't think this can be explained by scaling down the cohort, either, because the cohort is pretty strong(biggest Chinese language school in the state).
2) The week before the oral(which was on a Monday), her grandparent passed and she had to fly overseas. She got back the Saturday before the oral. Can we argue extenuating circumstances, or would this have been covered by DES?
3) There's also a big disparity between her written marks and her oral marks in general.
4) She's not Chinese by birth; she was born in Malaysia. She's only done primary 1, 2 and 3 in Chinese. Should she even have sat SLA at all? Shouldn't she have sat SL? And if not, could we argue that the oral examiners were biased against her (accent, cultural background, etc?)

So do we have a case, and what specifically can we do to pursue this?

Also, some venting, because I'm pretty angry about this whole thing.
Spoiler
I personally think that VCE Chinese is actually more unequal that any other LOTE or subject in general. There are way too many native speakers and near-native speakers sitting it, and all the examiners are from Mainland China, which leads them to penalise students from Cantonese/non-Mandarin dialect speaking backgrounds because we tend to have an accent(we don't have this perfect standard Beijing chiang- marks off for pronounciation!).

And also, she came here at such an awkward time; she had to sit SLA even though she wasn't prepared to deal with all these people who came to Australia in Year 9, but she also can't sit EAL instead of English, which is, again, such bullshit! Is she a native English speaker or not, VCAA? Make up your damn mind!

I got put into SLA, too. I knew there was a reason why I ended up dropping it.
B. Engineering @ Monash, 2016 - current

JMSS Class of 2015

LifeisaConstantStruggle

• Forum Obsessive
Re: Low study score, what can I do?
« Reply #1 on: February 13, 2018, 03:59:51 am »
Here's my 2 cents on this issue.
I'm pretty sure you are able to send in an appeal for points 1, 2 and 3, it's perfectly reasonable to do so if you have felt that she was in an unfair situation, and those things do back her up in some way (from that, I'd suggest that she can go for a reassessment, don't worry about it).
For part 4 tho, I personally think that it's kinda iffy to bring it up (anecdotally and from close friends I definitely DO empathise with what she has been through) because there's just no evidence of actual discrimination from assessors.
And to address your take on being a native speaker/eligible for SL issue I don't think it's possible to argue with VCAA on that (your initial 3 points are enough) because they have explicitly set the time a student HAS to be in Australia to be eligible for EAL (trust me, I've only been here for 2 years and I had to send in my extensive report cards a few times to prove that I am eligible for it)
That being said I guess it is possible to specify that she is not from a chinese speaking nation, (PRC, ROC, HK, Macau) not sure if they count SJK(C)s as chinese-medium tho, chances are there have met more people who lodged the same appeal with this reason and got rejected.
Good luck! And don't let this be a barrier to achieve your (her) fullest potential this year.
2018-2020: Bachelor of Actuarial Science (+ Econometrics), Monash
2021: Bachelor of Commerce (Honours), Econometrics & Financial Mathematics, Monash
2022-2023: Work and some soul-searching