Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

June 17, 2024, 03:11:20 am

Author Topic: Relationship between school/cohort/rank and ATAR?!  (Read 958 times)  Share 

KingTings

• MOTM: JULY 19
  • Forum Regular
  • "I'll do it later.."
  • Respect: +15
Relationship between school/cohort/rank and ATAR?!
« on: April 28, 2018, 12:49:54 am »
Hello forum!  :)
So, I'm still in my preliminary year but I can't help but think how my school ranking, cohort and personal rank can affect my results and ATAR.
Last year my school ranked around 312, with fairly large cohorts (over 100 in a lot of subjects) and some unmotivated students. And, for me, I feel like it's near impossible to gain a top 5 rank in my cohort due to some incredibly smart and talented kids.
If I maintained, say, top 15, how would my results be affected (by school, cohort and rank) if they were around mid-high band 5's?
I currently do english adv, 2u maths, physics, chem, business studies and economics.
Also am trying my hardest to stay on path for my goal of a 95+ ATAR.
HSC 2019
Business Studies - Economics - Physics - English Adv. - Maths Adv.

ATAR:
Aim = 92+, Actual = 97.1 ;D

jamonwindeyer

• Honorary Moderator
  • Great Wonder of ATAR Notes
  • The lurker from the north.
  • Respect: +3108
Re: Relationship between school/cohort/rank and ATAR?!
« Reply #1 on: April 28, 2018, 01:18:31 am »
+4
Hey there!! Super quick two parts answer:

1 - You can absolutely get a 95+ ATAR, or a 99+ ATAR, or whatever you are aiming for. Your school won't restrict you at all. If you want 95+ though, you are going to need at least a few Band 6 results, no sugarcoating it. Work hard to push yourself into that range!

2- This is how it all works ;D

KingTings

• MOTM: JULY 19
  • Forum Regular
  • "I'll do it later.."
  • Respect: +15
Re: Relationship between school/cohort/rank and ATAR?!
« Reply #2 on: May 02, 2018, 03:41:36 pm »
Hey there!! Super quick two parts answer:

1 - You can absolutely get a 95+ ATAR, or a 99+ ATAR, or whatever you are aiming for. Your school won't restrict you at all. If you want 95+ though, you are going to need at least a few Band 6 results, no sugarcoating it. Work hard to push yourself into that range!

2- This is how it all works ;D

Cool to see how marks and atar is aligned. I actually came first in a couple subjects so far, so my confidence is slowly rising. Definitely need to work harder to achieve those band 6's though.
Thank you!!
HSC 2019
Business Studies - Economics - Physics - English Adv. - Maths Adv.

ATAR:
Aim = 92+, Actual = 97.1 ;D