Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

June 16, 2024, 10:54:42 am

Author Topic: [split] Discussion of Christian denominations  (Read 2760 times)  Share 

Poet

• MOTM: JUN 18
  • Part of the furniture
  • Love. ~she/they
  • Respect: +2790
[split] Discussion of Christian denominations
« on: May 28, 2018, 07:24:44 pm »
Ever heard of the Christadelphians (the denomination/cult/whateveryouwannacallit I was brought up in)?
Hell yeah.
Wooaahh I literally can't talk to you anymore (if I was part of my fam's belief system). According to the denomination/cult/whateveryouwannacallit I was brought up in, your theology is fundamentally flawed.
I was brought up getting told you guys were a cult and a wrong cult at that.
Oh, this could be fun.
« Last Edit: May 28, 2018, 08:16:09 pm by heids »
Thoughts are only thoughts.
They are not you. You do belong to yourself,
even when your thoughts don't.

Dealing with Year 12 - Put Your Mental Health at the Forefront
A Little Guide to Healthy Eating

heids

• Supreme Stalker
  • Honorary Moderator
  • ATAR Notes Superstar
  • Respect: +1632
Re: Re: Do you have a niche area of knowledge?
« Reply #1 on: May 28, 2018, 07:50:05 pm »
Hell yeah.
Wooaahh I literally can't talk to you anymore (if I was part of my fam's belief system). According to the denomination/cult/whateveryouwannacallit I was brought up in, your theology is fundamentally flawed.
Oh, this could be fun.

Hahahaha what group were you brought up in?  This intrigues me.
VCE (2014): HHD, Bio, English, T&T, Methods

Uni (2021-24): Bachelor of Nursing @ Monash Clayton

Work: PCA in residential aged care

clovvy

• Forum Obsessive
  • Respect: +44
Re: [split] Discussion of Christian denominations
« Reply #2 on: May 28, 2018, 07:53:37 pm »
Hell yeah.
Oh, this could be fun.

I suspect a non-denominational or a protestant type? I was brought up Catholic by my mom (yeah my family is divided, only my mom is actually Catholic)... I did renounce my Catholic faith at some point and choose to take protestanism or non-denominational but it gets hellish from there... so I did renounce my faith altogether, story is complicated and too personal to share in forums like this

insanipi edit: Fixed thread title ;D
« Last Edit: May 28, 2018, 08:37:40 pm by insanipi »
2018 HSC: 4U maths, 3U maths, Standard English, Chemistry, Physics

Poet

• Part of the furniture
  • Love. ~she/they
« Reply #3 on: May 28, 2018, 07:56:47 pm »
Hahahaha what group were you brought up in?  This intrigues me.
I suspect a non-denominational or a protestant type? I was brought up Catholic by my mom (yeah my family is divided, only my mom is actually Catholic)... I did renounce my Catholic faith at some point and choose to take protestanism or non-denominational but it gets hellish from there... so I did renounce my faith altogether, story is complicated and too personal to share in forums like this
On the money. Veeery strong Baptist. So, Protestant Christian. But, like, pretty extreme.
You know, Father, Son and Holy Spirit are one? And anyone who says otherwise are banished?

edit: oh, and on that note, I know basically any Christian song you can throw at me. :3
« Last Edit: May 28, 2018, 08:37:51 pm by insanipi »

technodisney

• MOTM: AUG 2018
  • Forum Obsessive
  • Master Procrastinator
  • Respect: +456
« Reply #4 on: May 28, 2018, 08:03:40 pm »
Ever heard of the Christadelphians (the denomination/cult/whateveryouwannacallit I was brought up in)?

I just googled and read most of the wikipedia page on Christadelphians (I have never heard of them until 10 minutes ago).

I fail to see how it could be a cult. As far as I can tell they just reject a few of the concepts in the bible saying they were lost in translation. As a person who has grown up in a christian household, both grandpas being pastors and currently going to church multiple times a week with strong beliefs, yeah I may not agree with some of the beliefs but I don't see how that means you are a cult and "evil".

TLDR: How are you classified as a cult?
« Last Edit: May 28, 2018, 08:38:02 pm by insanipi »
My Informatics 3/4 SAT Guide

Methods, BusMan, EngLang, Informatics, VET IT
technodisney's VCE Journal
Cert IV Live Production and Technical Services RMIT (City Campus)
technodisney's journey into Live Theatre
The Disney Nerd needs to get fit

The more you like yourself, the less you are like anyone else, which makes you unique. ~ Walt Disney

Poet

• Part of the furniture
  • Love. ~she/they
« Reply #5 on: May 28, 2018, 08:11:00 pm »
I just googled and read most of the wikipedia page on Christadelphians (I have never heard of them until 10 minutes ago).

I fail to see how it could be a cult. As far as I can tell they just reject a few of the concepts in the bible saying they were lost in translation. As a person who has grown up in a christian household, both grandpas being pastors and currently going to church multiple times a week with strong beliefs, yeah I may not agree with some of the beliefs but I don't see how that means you are a cult and "evil".

This. In a more rigid area of Christianity, anyone who rejects some of the fundamental concepts found in the Holy Scriptures (like denying the common opinion that God is 'three in one' as Christadelphians are apparently doing) is classified as following a belief system of their own making, and thus, they are classified as a minor 'cult', at least where I grew up. Cults aren't always dark and full of mass killings, just a small sect with particular beliefs.
Fascinating concept. We should really make a separate thread, though.
Or I'll just explain it to you at school tomorrow lol
« Last Edit: May 28, 2018, 08:38:11 pm by insanipi »

heids

• Supreme Stalker
  • Honorary Moderator
  • ATAR Notes Superstar
« Reply #6 on: May 28, 2018, 08:11:25 pm »
You know, Father, Son and Holy Spirit are one? And anyone who says otherwise are banished?

religious off-topic
Oh yeah, so it's the Trinity that's the primary dividing factor as per usual.

For once I agree with my upbringing on this topic; if I were to believe the Bible, the Trinity simply doesn't make any sense, and it's so well established historically that it only came in as a politically-driven idea a couple of hundred years after Jesus's death. Like, I can't even see where it would come from as a concept in the Bible.

The Christadelphians' other unique doctrines/theology don't all make sense to me.

But since
a) I have no idea whether to believe in God/the Bible at all, and
b) I don't see why believing different things on that is important as there's really very little actual distinction,
I don't really care lol.

The differences are deeper than that; a lot of things are done differently almost for the sake of being different from other churches.  It's exclusive too, as with various other niche groups, definitely no ecumenism and no out-of-christadelphian dating or whatever.

But yeah, no one inside this denomination calls it a cult.  Only those outside. I can't see that christos are evil, no matter how much I disagree with a lot of it.

Though the length of denomination name is pretty evil and should be banned.
« Last Edit: May 28, 2018, 08:38:21 pm by insanipi »

clovvy

• Forum Obsessive
  • Respect: +44
« Reply #7 on: May 28, 2018, 08:22:24 pm »
edit: oh, and on that note, I know basically any Christian song you can throw at me. :3

Heard of Joshua Aaron (well he is a messianic jew anyway)? The world of the abrahamic religion is just too much for me
« Last Edit: May 28, 2018, 08:38:32 pm by insanipi »
2018 HSC: 4U maths, 3U maths, Standard English, Chemistry, Physics

peterpiper

• Forum Obsessive
  • ppp
  • Respect: +257
« Reply #8 on: May 28, 2018, 08:23:17 pm »

Yeah, I agree. Whoever thought of the name should be fired immediately.
2017: VCE COMPLETED

heids

• Supreme Stalker
  • Honorary Moderator
  • ATAR Notes Superstar
« Reply #9 on: May 28, 2018, 08:27:36 pm »
+2
Yeah, I agree. Whoever thought of the name should be fired immediately.

Obligatory recital I've learnt from the age of three or so: "you know Philadelphia? It means brothers in love or brotherly love, phila = love and delphia = brothers in the Greek.  So we're 'brothers in Christ', geddit? No, not Christian dolphins. Christian brothers*."

*I accidentally typed brothe4s. Is that a way of censoring 'brothels'?
« Last Edit: May 28, 2018, 08:31:30 pm by heids »

technodisney

• Forum Obsessive
  • Master Procrastinator
« Reply #10 on: May 28, 2018, 08:37:26 pm »
This. In a more rigid area of Christianity, anyone who rejects some of the fundamental concepts found in the Holy Scriptures (like denying the common opinion that God is 'three in one' as Christadelphians are apparently doing) is classified as following a belief system of their own making, and thus, they are classified as a minor 'cult', at least where I grew up. Cults aren't always dark and full of mass killings, just a small sect with particular beliefs.
Fascinating concept. We should really make a separate thread, though.
Or I'll just explain it to you at school tomorrow lol

Haha yeah. Just explain it to me tomorrow. Will probably be best. As I have like a million questions about this. haha.

The differences are deeper than that; a lot of things are done differently almost for the sake of being different from other churches.  It's exclusive too, as with various other niche groups, definitely no ecumenism and no out-of-christadelphian dating or whatever.

But yeah, no one inside this denomination calls it a cult.  Only those outside. I can't see that christos are evil, no matter how much I disagree with a lot of it.

The page I read didn't mention those elements of exclusivity. That is interesting. I think I'm gonna read up on them a bit more. In a year I might have a knowledge on cults as this sort of stuff is actually very interesting to me. haha

I think I just made a big mess deleting and reposting this post. I think i've fixed it up now though . (I hope)

The more you like yourself, the less you are like anyone else, which makes you unique. ~ Walt Disney

heids

• Supreme Stalker
  • Honorary Moderator
  • ATAR Notes Superstar
« Reply #11 on: May 28, 2018, 08:39:02 pm »
+2
The page I read didn't mention those elements of exclusivity.

Heaven forbid I date a Baptist or Anglican or SDA or JW or Lutheran or Greek Orthodox or Catholic or United Churcher or Pentecostal!   Gotta go the whole hog and inbreed as much as possible.

PhoenixxFire

• VIC MVP - 2018
  • Honorary Moderator
  • ATAR Notes Legend
  • They/them/theirs
  • Respect: +3102
« Reply #12 on: May 28, 2018, 08:39:25 pm »
As someone who grew up entirely without religion, this entire thread is fascinating. I always wondered if they were supposed to be the same person but apparently it depends who you ask 🤷‍♀️
2019: B. Environment and Sustainability/B. Science @ ANU
2020: Just Vibing
2021: B. Paramedicine/B. Nursing @ ACU Canberra

technodisney

• Forum Obsessive
  • Master Procrastinator
« Reply #13 on: May 28, 2018, 08:44:54 pm »
+1
Heaven forbid I date a Baptist or Anglican or SDA or JW or Lutheran or Greek Orthodox or Catholic!   Gotta go the whole hog and inbreed as much as possible.

I just find that whole idea of being that restrictive stupid. In my view we should love everyone as equal regardless of Gender, Sexuality, Beliefs or anything else. And that includes not taking control of other peoples lives deciding what they can and can't do in the end it is their lives and we can't be the judge only god is, I have no right to be able to make judgements based off of peoples decisions.

As someone who grew up entirely without religion, this entire thread is fascinating. I always wondered if they were supposed to be the same person but apparently it depends who you ask 🤷‍♀️

Yeah religion gets confusing like that. Everyone has a slightly different belief system even in the same church, I am pretty firm in my own beliefs but i'm open to hearing what other people believe as well, not to judge but to increase my knowledge.

Poet

• Part of the furniture
  • Love. ~she/they
« Reply #14 on: May 28, 2018, 08:48:47 pm »
Heaven forbid I date a Baptist or Anglican or SDA or JW or Lutheran or Greek Orthodox or Catholic or United Churcher or Pentecostal!   Gotta go the whole hog and inbreed as much as possible.
But... I was gonna propose...
tbh walking into a Pentecostal church the week after walking into a Presbyterian one was the best moments of my life.
Yep! Almost like someone wrote a book that's been translated and re-translated to oblivion and everyone disagrees. But why would anyone think that?? ::)

Denominations make some sense, but also none at all.