Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

June 01, 2024, 09:50:17 pm

Author Topic: Uni advice  (Read 2086 times)  Share 

Maddyv11

• Adventurer
  • Respect: +8
Uni advice
« on: March 19, 2019, 11:17:34 am »
+1
I have just start my first year, first semester of university studying business and accounting.
I know its only been three weeks but I am not really enjoying the actual degree itself and am finding it really boring. I have no motivation to study and am now wondering what I even want to do at Uni and life in general.

Am thinking maybe taking leave, starting next semester with more (hopefully) motivation and then seeing how I find the degree again, or sticking with it and then look at changing next semester.

I have no idea what to do, would really appreciate opinions and past experience from other people.
« Last Edit: March 19, 2019, 11:22:49 am by Maddyv11 »
2018: VCE Completed
2019: Bachelor of Laws (Honours) & Bachelor of Commerce

Ionic Doc

• Forum Leader
  • Respect: +212
Re: Uni advice
« Reply #1 on: March 19, 2019, 11:27:34 am »
I have just start my first year, first semester of university studying business and accounting.
I know its only been three weeks but I am not really enjoying the actual degree itself and am finding it really boring. I have no motivation to study and am now wondering what I even want to do at Uni and life in general.

Am thinking maybe taking leave, starting next semester with more (hopefully) motivation and then seeing how I find the degree again, or sticking with it and then look at changing next semester.

I have no idea what to do, would really appreciate opinions and past experience from other people.

not really got any advice to you, since I'm only in. highschool
but what subjects did you do in high school and were your relatively passionate about accounting and business ...my teachers have mentioned that the first semester is basically also a repeat on year 12 subjects that are related to your course.
also what university do you attend?  :)
2019/2020 - Psychology | Biology | Chemistry | Methods | Further | English
2021 - Science @ Melbourne University

Maddyv11

• Adventurer
« Reply #2 on: March 19, 2019, 12:28:23 pm »
vce Accounting was my favourite subject last year, that’s why I decided to do the accounting degree, and business is something I was interested in and decided to do that. I’m at Monash, the accounting subject is pretty much identical to the VCE course. I was pretty sure that I would like the degree but I’m not enjoying it and now have no clue what I even want to do. I think I should keep going with it and see how I feel at the end of the semester though 🤷🏻‍♀️🤷🏻‍♀️

LifeisaConstantStruggle

• Forum Obsessive
  • Respect: +104
« Reply #3 on: March 19, 2019, 12:37:52 pm »
+3
Hey! I understand that you might be frustrated with what you're learning in uni atm, don't worry, I was in the same position last year as well.
Any Monash Business/Commerce undergrad courses will have a diverse range of core units you have to do. It's a pain but it's there to show you what you might be interested in I guess. If you enjoyed accounting you should probably find the 2nd year accounting units far more enjoyable (like how I enjoyed 2nd year econs/stats unit much more than the first year ones), so don't give up just yet! With Bus and Accounting you might wanna try doing 2nd year acc units next sem, and see if you are okay with them, otherwise you might consider transferring if you don't think it's what you're passionate in. Good luck!
2018-2020: Bachelor of Actuarial Science (+ Econometrics), Monash
2021: Bachelor of Commerce (Honours), Econometrics & Financial Mathematics, Monash
2022-2023: Work and some soul-searching

AngelWings

• ATAR Notes Superstar
  • "Angel wings, please guide me..."
  • Respect: +1425
« Reply #4 on: March 19, 2019, 12:42:30 pm »
+4

Hm... from what I experienced in my own degree (Science) and hear from quite a few others in other faculties, the first semester can be a little boring or really interesting depending on the person. Seems like you got the former, which sucks. Typically things don't become greatly interesting until later on; unfortunately, no degree is spared from having some interesting parts and some boring parts, so sometimes it's okay to feel like you're trudging through mud for a while. For me, the overall degree actually didn't really get interesting until second year, so you're certainly not alone in that aspect. Three weeks at Monash means that you've only really done 1/8th of a year. At this stage, it's actually still really hard to tell if you will properly love the degree you're doing and much of it will be a combination between VCE and new content (because there'll be people who have never done accounting/ business before).

If you're adamant about deferring, I'd recommend you do so before 31st March - the census date for Semester 1, 2019. If you're hoping to transfer next semester, what sort of degree would you prefer to transfer into, may I ask? 

Note: Got beaten by LifeisaConstantStruggle.
Note 2: Try joining the clubs and getting the social aspect of uni life up and running while you have the chance. I found that friends could make all the difference in some units.
VCE: Psych | Eng Lang | LOTE | Methods | Further | Chem                 
Uni: Bachelor of Science (Hons) - genetics
Current: working (sporadically on AN)
VTAC Info Thread

Maddyv11

• Adventurer
« Reply #5 on: March 19, 2019, 03:02:07 pm »
+1
Three weeks at Monash means that you've only really done 1/8th of a year. At this stage, it's actually still really hard to tell if you will properly love the degree you're doing and much of it will be a combination between VCE and new content (because there'll be people who have never done accounting/ business before).

If you're adamant about deferring, I'd recommend you do so before 31st March - the census date for Semester 1, 2019. If you're hoping to transfer next semester, what sort of degree would you prefer to transfer into, may I ask? 

Note: Got beaten by LifeisaConstantStruggle.
Note 2: Try joining the clubs and getting the social aspect of uni life up and running while you have the chance. I found that friends could make all the difference in some units.

True I've spent hardly any time there at all, I should probably stick with it at least until census, or the entire semester

Im looking to move into commerce/law or commerce/arts (I know the law part is really competitive and I'm slightly worried that my academic record is going to suffer for this lack of motivation)

I've joined the clubs and its going well… meeting lots of people :)

K888

• VIC MVP - 2017
  • National Moderator
  • ATAR Notes Legend
  • Respect: +2877
« Reply #6 on: March 19, 2019, 03:44:40 pm »
+3
First semester (and your first year) of uni can be really tricky. Unfortunately at times it just requires a lot of determination to get through but if you feel like it's really not working for you and it's detrimental to your well-being, then deferring or at least having a chat to your unit coordinator(s) could be a way to go :) Adjusting from high school to uni takes time - be kind to yourself during the adjustment period!

I find that when I'm feeling overwhelmed/uninspired/unmotivated by uni, making to do lists helps make sure I don't fall really far behind. It's just a matter of doing something like one uni task, then giving yourself a break/some free time and then doing another task. Self discipline is something you develop over time with practice!