Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

June 11, 2024, 10:23:57 pm

Author Topic: JMSS 2021 Entry  (Read 114163 times)  Share 

010000studyhard

• Forum Regular
  • Respect: 0
Re: JMSS 2021 Entry
« Reply #480 on: September 03, 2020, 08:42:30 pm »
Also, for the people who have done their interview. Did you do a group with a 1 on 1.
Also how long did it take total time for the full session to complete?

shaneshano

• Fresh Poster
« Reply #481 on: September 03, 2020, 08:45:29 pm »
Also, for the people who have done their interview. Did you do a group with a 1 on 1.
Also how long did it take total time for the full session to complete?
pretty sure first interviews start tmr

010000studyhard

• Forum Regular
« Reply #482 on: September 03, 2020, 08:56:03 pm »
 ;D

ihavenolife:(

• Trendsetter
« Reply #483 on: September 03, 2020, 09:16:26 pm »
Hahah thank you. honestly I thought I did horrendous but here are some tips I wish I had before my interview:

-   Try to prepare yourself for general questions that they may ask you, for example ‘why do you want to go to jmss’ although don’t write a paragraph and memorize these answers just write dot points so you don’t get stuck when they ask you. Memorizing premade answers makes you look automated and not genuine. They are looking for students who genuinely have a passion for science and also have other interests beyond school not just people who are really smart.
-   They also ask some pretty random questions so be careful of your answers to those. You don’t need to know everything about the topic of the question to answer it, just get what you know and run with it.
-   Always talk good about your current school and make sure you have a list of reasons why you like your current school. < I sorta messed up this question cos I got caught off guard and couldn’t think of anything other than having supportive friends hahah. (talk about opportunities you have at your school and your teachers)
-   If you notice that you are getting really nervous and start mumbling, catch yourself and think about what you say before you say it. If you don’t think about what you want to say before you answer the question your going to mumble and not make sense to the interviewer/s .
-   Also the teachers that interview you are really nice, try to make the conversation seem less like an interview/interrogation and more like a casual conversation (you don’t need to sound like a dictionary just talk like you normally would to a teacher at you school)
-   Ask questions at the end of the interview (I would recommend 3-5), write a list of questions you have and go over the school website to find things you can ask them about. Referring to their website shows that you really care and did your research.
-   I recommend watching https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XUQ6RpAgci0 (even though it not specifically for jmss i think it helps)
-   SMILEEEE 😊 your good vibes will radiate onto the teachers hahah

Umm I think that’s it, if you have any other questions just ask, but Good Luck to all of you, you can do it!!
(damn this is really long hahah sorry)

Thank you so much for taking the time to help!
no

aaron6785

• Trendsetter
« Reply #484 on: September 04, 2020, 08:52:15 am »
good luck everyone doing their interviews today!

Hellothisisme

• Forum Regular
« Reply #485 on: September 04, 2020, 09:08:34 am »
Ok about the interviews (I just finished mine), there is nothing to stress about and you can’t really prepare for the questions they give you but if you are really passionate about science it shouldn’t be a problem. There are some general questions and some random ones - I’m not going to tell you exactly what but along the lines of ‘If you had 1 million dollars what would you do?’. Those type of things. There are two people interviewing you - one takes notes and the other asks questions - altogether there are around 6 questions.
There isn’t a group part and it only runs for 10 minutes (or shorter depending on how you answer the questions) I talked a lot.
Good luck!   :)

Anon_909093032

• Adventurer
« Reply #486 on: September 04, 2020, 09:10:15 am »
Hahah thank you. honestly I thought I did horrendous but here are some tips I wish I had before my interview:

-   Try to prepare yourself for general questions that they may ask you, for example ‘why do you want to go to jmss’ although don’t write a paragraph and memorize these answers just write dot points so you don’t get stuck when they ask you. Memorizing premade answers makes you look automated and not genuine. They are looking for students who genuinely have a passion for science and also have other interests beyond school not just people who are really smart.
-   They also ask some pretty random questions so be careful of your answers to those. You don’t need to know everything about the topic of the question to answer it, just get what you know and run with it.
-   Always talk good about your current school and make sure you have a list of reasons why you like your current school. < I sorta messed up this question cos I got caught off guard and couldn’t think of anything other than having supportive friends hahah. (talk about opportunities you have at your school and your teachers)
-   If you notice that you are getting really nervous and start mumbling, catch yourself and think about what you say before you say it. If you don’t think about what you want to say before you answer the question your going to mumble and not make sense to the interviewer/s .
-   Also the teachers that interview you are really nice, try to make the conversation seem less like an interview/interrogation and more like a casual conversation (you don’t need to sound like a dictionary just talk like you normally would to a teacher at you school)
-   Ask questions at the end of the interview (I would recommend 3-5), write a list of questions you have and go over the school website to find things you can ask them about. Referring to their website shows that you really care and did your research.
-   I recommend watching https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XUQ6RpAgci0 (even though it not specifically for jmss i think it helps)
-   SMILEEEE 😊 your good vibes will radiate onto the teachers hahah

Umm I think that’s it, if you have any other questions just ask, but Good Luck to all of you, you can do it!!
(damn this is really long hahah sorry)
What is an example of a random question

idontknowmate

• Trailblazer
« Reply #487 on: September 04, 2020, 09:13:11 am »
heyyyy
first of all thankq so much for helping us all out , i am pretty sure the questions are different depending on the day.
So there is no group interview but only a single interview ?

EggBoiRules

• Adventurer
« Reply #488 on: September 04, 2020, 09:14:50 am »
heyyyy
first of all thankq so much for helping us all out , i am pretty sure the questions are different depending on the day.
So there is no group interview but only a single interview ?
no one knows, first interviews are at 10.10, and year 10 & 11 may be different

idontknowmate

• Trailblazer
« Reply #489 on: September 04, 2020, 09:18:03 am »
no interviews started at 8:50 and there are already people done (look up ^)

Hellothisisme

• Forum Regular
« Reply #490 on: September 04, 2020, 09:19:24 am »
 I’m pretty sure I was one of the first. It is only a one on one interview but there’s nothing to stress over. I’m sure you will all do fine - I didn’t have much time to prepare but I still think I did pretty good.
I’ll be happy to answer any general questions but I won’t say exactly what they asked.
« Last Edit: September 04, 2020, 09:21:14 am by Hellothisisme »

ihavenolife:(

• Trendsetter
« Reply #491 on: September 04, 2020, 09:23:19 am »
I’m pretty sure I was one of the first. It is only a one on one interview but there’s nothing to stress over. I’m sure you will all do fine - I didn’t have much time to prepare but I still think I did pretty good.
I’ll be happy to answer any general questions but I won’t say exactly what they asked.

What does your last name start with?
no

EggBoiRules

• Adventurer
« Reply #492 on: September 04, 2020, 09:23:34 am »
how long do the inteview go for, also does anyone remeber the year level size?

idontknowmate

• Trailblazer
« Reply #493 on: September 04, 2020, 09:25:32 am »
the jmss year 10 year level has 200 students
Also did they ask you the general questions ( examples : why do you want to go jmss ? what can you give the school ? did you like your old school?) the typical questions pretty much

OPJonaflash

• Adventurer
« Reply #494 on: September 04, 2020, 09:26:52 am »
Ok about the interviews (I just finished mine), there is nothing to stress about and you can’t really prepare for the questions they give you but if you are really passionate about science it shouldn’t be a problem. There are some general questions and some random ones - I’m not going to tell you exactly what but along the lines of ‘If you had 1 million dollars what would you do?’. Those type of things. There are two people interviewing you - one takes notes and the other asks questions - altogether there are around 6 questions.
There isn’t a group part and it only runs for 10 minutes (or shorter depending on how you answer the questions) I talked a lot.
Good luck!   :)
Wdym you by you cant prepare for it? surely they ask you about your passion in science and why you want to come to jmss