Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

May 23, 2024, 06:47:48 pm

Author Topic: Message from a VCE2005 student...  (Read 7109 times)  Share 

sjcvde05

• Victorian
  • Adventurer
  • Respect: 0
Message from a VCE2005 student...
« on: November 03, 2007, 09:34:37 pm »
Good luck everyone ;)

I was in your position 2 years ago, during 2005.

I got the ENTER i wanted and got into the degree that i wanted: good ending.

Just wanna let you all know, university is MUCH harder than Year 12.

Im doing a double Business degree @ swinburne, and when i flick through my Business Management year 12 book i laugh at how simple the info in it is. What I learnt in my first 3-4 lectures in the core Business subject @ uni covered everything from year 12 Business Management.

Dont stress too much about your ENTERs. Just enjoy these exams. You need to understand that there are more students that dont care about their ENTER scores then the ones that do.

I enjoyed year 12 alot. In fact, too much. I JUST got into my desired degree by 0.05  :D

But it was all worth it.

For the record, my RAW results were:
Greek - 44
ESL - 36 (around there)
Legal Studies - 34
Business - 33
Further Maths - 33 (around there)
IPM - 27

ENTER: 75.05 (I had predicted I'd get 75.00 :)

maxleng

• Victorian
  • Forum Obsessive
« Reply #1 on: November 03, 2007, 09:47:15 pm »
uni may be harder but no way is the workload the same? ive heard uni is a massive bludge, depends what your doing i guess..

Pencil

• Victorian
  • Forum Leader
  • Respect: +3
« Reply #2 on: November 03, 2007, 09:48:37 pm »
Quote from: "maxleng"
uni may be harder but no way is the workload the same? ive heard uni is a massive bludge, depends what your doing i guess..

vce is not that hard. And there is not a very big workload

sjcvde05

• Victorian
  • Adventurer
« Reply #3 on: November 03, 2007, 09:52:01 pm »
The way uni works is: 4 subjects per semester, and in most cases there is an exam for each.
The reason why uni is harder is because its so different to year 12, that you bludge during the year (even when you say you wont) and come exam time, you gotta study for at least 20-30 hours per subject.
Also, the assignments are complicated as hell. They require alot of reading and research and you need to cite everything. References for EVERYTHING!

For example, an assignment that was due last week required 4000 words and 15 references.

And with uni, if you fail your exam you fail the subject (in most cases). Even if you average 100% going into the exam, if you get 49% in it, you fail it. (They wont pass you even if its 1% away from a pass - in most cases).

When you guys are in your 2nd or 3rd year of uni and look at these year 12 exams, you will laugh at how easy they are...

maxleng

• Victorian
  • Forum Obsessive
« Reply #4 on: November 03, 2007, 09:54:31 pm »
Quote from: "goosefraba"

vce is not that hard. And there is not a very big workload

i hope your being sarcastic, or u must be one of those 'naturally smart' people... ofcourse its hard and ofcourse thers a big work load and most people will find it that way

for me year 12 has been the most work ive ever done and i think ever will. no way will i be working as hard as i was during the year in uni.. i just need to pass so minimum effort ftw

Pencil

• Victorian
  • Forum Leader
  • Respect: +3
« Reply #5 on: November 03, 2007, 09:58:15 pm »
i hope your being sarcastic, or u must be one of those 'naturally smart' people... ofcourse its hard and ofcourse thers a big work load and most people will find it that way

for me year 12 has been the most work ive ever done and i think ever will. no way will i be working as hard as i was during the year in uni.. i just need to pass so minimum effort ftw

no and no. Maybe I just do subjects where the workload is less? Or maybe I'm just massively slack.

edit: nahh i still don't think it's that hard. it's just school

sjcvde05

• Victorian
  • Adventurer
« Reply #6 on: November 03, 2007, 09:59:45 pm »

for me year 12 has been the most work ive ever done and i think ever will.

Im sure it has. I doubt per-year 12 had anything challenging

Collin Li

• VCE Tutor
  • Victorian
  • ATAR Notes Legend
  • Respect: +17
« Reply #7 on: November 03, 2007, 10:29:13 pm »
It's true. University is harder than VCE. Getting over the 50% mark is not as easy as it was in VCE. The only difference is that you don't need to get a "50" in all your subjects. If anything, you're only aiming for H1, anything above 80%. Other than that, anything above 50% is fine.

University is harder, and if you think it's going to be a bludge, you're deluded. You can bludge through it, but you won't get great marks.

rustic_metal

« Reply #8 on: November 03, 2007, 10:32:45 pm »
im currently in year 11 (one 3/4) and the workload is barely noticible. in order of most to least demanding, my years went somthing like this (considering im accelerated so i missed year 9):

Year 8
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
Year 11
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
Year 10
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
Year 7

Defiler

« Reply #9 on: November 03, 2007, 10:42:08 pm »
Quote from: "coblin"
University is harder, and if you think it's going to be a bludge, you're deluded. You can bludge through it, but you won't get great marks.

Of course it isn't a bludge, and of course it is 'harder' - as in the content and standards are far more difficult. I guess the main argument about year 12 being particularly difficult is the pressure to get a certain ENTER and whatnot... it isn't that the content is particularly hard to master.

Collin Li

• VCE Tutor
  • Victorian
  • ATAR Notes Legend
« Reply #10 on: November 03, 2007, 10:44:44 pm »
Yeah, that's particularly where VCE gets hard. However, I think people underestimate university. The rate at which you must learn material in university is a new field game, compared to VCE. In maths you're doing an entire topic in a week compared to VCE where you cover 6-8 major topics over the whole year.

maxleng

• Victorian
  • Forum Obsessive
« Reply #11 on: November 03, 2007, 10:46:54 pm »
Quote from: "goosefraba"

no and no. Maybe I just do subjects where the workload is less? Or maybe I'm just massively slack.

edit: nahh i still don't think it's that hard. it's just school

by hard i mean getting A+'s as Defiler said the content isnt really hard, but its maintaing that 'perfection' to loose as little marks as possible which is hard

Collin Li

• VCE Tutor
  • Victorian
  • ATAR Notes Legend
« Reply #12 on: November 03, 2007, 10:57:30 pm »
by hard i mean getting A+'s as Defiler said the content isnt really hard, but its maintaing that 'perfection' to loose as little marks as possible which is hard

Once you've done that in VCE, it becomes an inherent ability almost. I find I'm getting great scores in university without busting my guts to achieve "perfection" but simply because I understand the material.

I think those that put in a lot for their VCE learn a great ability, and that is the ability to be accurate.

rustic_metal

« Reply #13 on: November 03, 2007, 11:00:26 pm »
Quote from: "coblin"
Yeah, that's particularly where VCE gets hard. However, I think people underestimate university. The rate at which you must learn material in university is a new field game, compared to VCE. In maths you're doing an entire topic in a week compared to VCE where you cover 6-8 major topics over the whole year.

vce maths is so slow..

Odette

« Reply #14 on: November 04, 2007, 07:49:45 am »
Well to be honest I won't mind going that extra mile in university, because I'll be doing subjects which I actually enjoy, rather than subjects that I had to choose because our school doesn't offer that many subjects.
I'll be honest here, year 12 is a bit of a bludge for me, I'm able to complete everything on time, get decent marks, and still be able to do other things. Maybe that's just me, but that's just my experience.