Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

June 18, 2024, 02:54:10 am

Author Topic: Biomed or Science pathway into Med  (Read 577 times)  Share 

Hello132

• Adventurer
  • Respect: +2
Biomed or Science pathway into Med
« on: August 27, 2020, 08:29:30 pm »
Hi,
I was just wondering which of these courses would be most beneficial for post grad med. I.e. which of these are “easier” to maintain a higher GPA/WAM? Which one is more helpful for GAMSAT etc etc

Thanks!

Sine

• Werewolf
  • National Moderator
  • Great Wonder of ATAR Notes
  • Respect: +2103
Re: Biomed or Science pathway into Med
« Reply #1 on: August 27, 2020, 08:43:15 pm »
+6
Hi,
I was just wondering which of these courses would be most beneficial for post grad med. I.e. which of these are “easier” to maintain a higher GPA/WAM? Which one is more helpful for GAMSAT etc etc

Thanks!
Hi! Welcome to AN

This is quite a popular question and been asked countless times around the forum so you should definitely look around to see what has been said in the past.

I don't think there is a consensus answer to this question. However, personally I feel like prep for the GAMSAT is very similar from the two degrees and getting a high GPA is easier in science.

It is difficult to compare the degrees since science can vary dramatically from someone who does mainly biology subjects to someone majoring in pure mathematics. One of the main reasons I think science is easier to score higher is this variety with it allowing students to choose most of their own subjects. In biomed roughly 3 quarters of your degree is automatically chosen for you. Another factor would be that thebiomed cohort tends to be stronger so they make tougher assesment to spread out students.

Hello132

• Adventurer
  • Respect: +2
Re: Biomed or Science pathway into Med
« Reply #2 on: August 27, 2020, 08:46:41 pm »
Ohhh okay thanks for your reply, yeah I’m  currently in the middle of my vtac applications and I’m just unsure which degree to prioritise. I know that with Monash, there’s the 50 spots for biomed students buts that’s quite a small percentage of the whole cohort, so I’m not sure if it’s worth the added pressure and stress of doing a supposedly more difficult and competitive degree
« Last Edit: August 27, 2020, 08:52:26 pm by Hello132 »