Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

June 16, 2024, 08:00:14 am

Author Topic: TT's Maths Thread  (Read 119422 times)  Share 

TrueTears

• TT
  • Honorary Moderator
  • Great Wonder of ATAR Notes
  • Respect: +667
TT's Maths Thread
« on: November 12, 2009, 05:01:58 pm »
Well yeah, just started doing some reading now, got a few questions, help would be appreciated!

First one:

Let a and b be two integers, not both zero. Then is the set of all integral multiples of . In particular; is the smallest positive number in this set.

What exactly does this theorem mean? I just read the proof, but can't seem to figure out the meaning of it haha
« Last Edit: April 03, 2011, 11:27:30 pm by kamil9876 »
PhD @ MIT (Economics).

Interested in asset pricing, econometrics, and social choice theory.

dcc

• Victorian
  • Part of the furniture
  • Respect: +55
  • School Grad Year: 2008
Re: TT's Maths Thread
« Reply #1 on: November 12, 2009, 05:08:25 pm »
Let a and b be two integers, not both zero. Then is the set of all integral multiples of . In particular; is the smallest positive number in this set.

What exactly does this theorem mean? I just read the proof, but can't seem to figure out the meaning of it haha

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/B%C3%A9zout%27s_identity

TrueTears

• TT
  • Honorary Moderator
« Reply #2 on: November 12, 2009, 05:32:07 pm »
Just a bit stuck in the middle of my proof by contradiction.

1. Show that is not satisfied by any rational p.

Let where and let both not be even.

Thus

This implies the RHS is even no matter what. (Let , since n is an integer then must also be an integer, thus is even)

Now which implies that n is also even. However we said that is non-even, thus this is a contradiction.

Now how do you go about showing n is even?
« Last Edit: November 23, 2009, 05:53:31 pm by TrueTears »
PhD @ MIT (Economics).

/0

• Victorian
  • ATAR Notes Legend
  • Respect: +45
« Reply #3 on: November 12, 2009, 05:34:54 pm »
Are you using Zuckerman's number theory book?

TrueTears

• TT
  • Honorary Moderator
« Reply #4 on: November 12, 2009, 05:36:43 pm »

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/B%C3%A9zout%27s_identity
Thanks.

Are you using Zuckerman's number theory book?
Nah Art and Craft of Problem Solving. I'm reading Number Theory with Algebra first (Cause the book says so lol)
PhD @ MIT (Economics).

Ahmad

• Victorian
  • Part of the furniture
  • *dreamy sigh*
  • Respect: +15
« Reply #5 on: November 12, 2009, 05:45:16 pm »
+1
I'll explain the significance of the theorem, and hopefully that will give you a better idea of what it means and why it's useful.

In basic number theory we tend to use facts which we learn to intuitively accept without proof such as every positive integer being uniquely factorised into prime factors i.e. 15 = 3*5. But being particular as they are, mathematicians require that this be proved. To prove such a result one naturally asks the question, under what assumptions? What can I assume is true about the integers which I can use without proof to derive results such as this.

The key property of the integers which we assume without proof is that any non-empty subset of the positive integers, (such as {5, 100} or {x such that x is a prime number}), has a smallest element in it (5 and 2 respectively). And naturally we give it a hopefully suggestive name:

The Well Ordering Property - Every non-empty subset of the positive integers has a smallest element.

This property seems very obvious right? What isn't quite obvious is how we derive so much using such a simple axiom! But lo and behold this statement is logically equivalent to mathematical induction, meaning they imply each other, I'll leave this as an exercise. So now we have induction too, great!

Divisibility is easily defined, 20 is divisible by 2 because there's an integer which when multiplied by 2 gives 20, with the appropriate generalisation. Primes are also easily defined as positive integers divisible only by 1 and itself, and noting that we normally exclude 1 from being a prime.

Now what we want to do is show that we can factorise any positive integer into primes. If you think about how we normally factor an integer a natural idea which may occur to you is that we can start off with an integer n > 1, if it's prime then we're done, we've written it as a product of primes, otherwise we can write n = pq, with p,q > 1, and furthermore since both p and q are smaller than n we can use an inductive argument to show that each of them can be written as a product of primes, then n = pq can be written as a product of primes. (We can think of 1 as a product of primes, namely as the empty product to get the induction started).

We have the result that a positive integer can be written as a product of primes, but there's a subtlety, how do we know that 15 = 3 * 5 and that the only way to write 15 as a product of primes is as 3*5? In other words, how do we know that the factorisation is unique! How do we go about doing this? Well if 15 = 3 * 5 = p1 * p2 * ... * pn for some primes p1.., then we want to conclude that one of those is a 3, say p1 = 3, then we could divide off by 3 and get 5 = p2 * ... * pn, and we can repeat the same argument to show that one of these primes say p2 must be equal to 5, and dividing off by 5 gives 1 = p3*...*pn, from which we conclude that n must've been 2, and so this statement is really 1 = 1. Then we'd have shown that p1 = 3 and p2 = 5, and so the factorisation was really the same!

But I've been a little sly, because I didn't say how I concluded that some pm, say p1, must be equal to 3. This is in fact the key step to proving unique factorisation, and it is named after Euclid. Euclid's Lemma: if a prime p divides a*b, then p divides a or p divides b. This is where your result comes in, in order to prove Euclid's lemma we first prove a very very useful result called Bezout's identity: there exists integers x and y such that ax + by = gcd(a, b), with gcd(a,b) denoting the greatest common divisor of a and b. It's not obvious why this is useful, or how this might be useful, and unfortunately I don't have the time to motivate it (I'm supposed to be studying for an exam I have tomorrow morning). I'm assuming you read the proof of Bezout's identity, the key step being the well ordering theorem (which can be used to prove the division algorithm with remainder which we all know from grade 3).

Once we have Bezout's identity we're ready to prove Euclid's lemma, which as a reminder states that if a prime p divides ab then p divides a or p divides b. Proof:
If p divides a then we're done! So assume that p doesn't divide a, so that gcd(p, a) = 1, then by Bezout's identity we have ax + py = 1 for some integers x and y. Multiplying both sides by b, gives abx + pby = b, but we know that p divides ab, so that ab = k*p, for some integer k which we can substitute into our equation, giving kpx + pby = b, or p(kx + by) = b, which shows that p must divide b and we're done! This completes our proof of Euclid's lemma and hence our proof of unique factorisation. So we have proved the Fundamental Theorem of Arithmetic that each positive integer can be written uniquely as a product of primes.  :)

(Sorry the ending is kind of not motivated very well, I'm kinda strapped for time atm, also apologise for any typos/errors).

« Last Edit: November 12, 2009, 05:47:00 pm by Ahmad »
Mandark: Please, oh please, set me up on a date with that golden-haired angel who graces our undeserving school with her infinite beauty!

The collage of ideas. The music of reason. The poetry of thought. The canvas of logic.

kamil9876

• Victorian
  • Part of the furniture
  • Respect: +109
« Reply #6 on: November 12, 2009, 05:55:57 pm »
m is even right, meaning that:

for some k

therefore:

so n is even too.

====================================================================================

Another proof that I prefer is to show that p is not a natural number, hence hence

now we can assume a and b have no common factor, so they are composed of different primes, but is composed of the same primes as and same for . (only the powers double in the prime factorization), hence the fraction cannot cancel to a whole number.  This easily generalises to higher powers.
« Last Edit: November 12, 2009, 05:57:57 pm by kamil9876 »
Voltaire: "There is an astonishing imagination even in the science of mathematics ... We repeat, there is far more imagination in the head of Archimedes than in that of Homer."

TrueTears

• TT
  • Honorary Moderator
« Reply #7 on: November 12, 2009, 05:57:33 pm »
hahahaha what an easy step and I missed it!

thanks kamil!
PhD @ MIT (Economics).

kamil9876

• Victorian
  • Part of the furniture
« Reply #8 on: November 12, 2009, 06:30:08 pm »
Yeah this is a common approach in textbooks. But I quite like Gauss' proof of the Fundamental theorem of arithmetic, where he proves Euclid's lemma without even mentioning Bezout's identity :D . In my spare moments where I have fantasized about being a teacher of number theory, I have always wanted to show both approaches to my students :D
« Last Edit: November 12, 2009, 06:33:09 pm by kamil9876 »
Voltaire: "There is an astonishing imagination even in the science of mathematics ... We repeat, there is far more imagination in the head of Archimedes than in that of Homer."

TrueTears

• TT
  • Honorary Moderator
« Reply #9 on: November 12, 2009, 06:41:56 pm »
Amazing Ahmad, thank you so much!

Also:

1. Prove that for

Where do I start with this?

2. The function satisfies if and if . Find
« Last Edit: November 12, 2009, 06:55:17 pm by TrueTears »
PhD @ MIT (Economics).

Ahmad

• Victorian
  • Part of the furniture
  • *dreamy sigh*
« Reply #10 on: November 12, 2009, 06:44:19 pm »
Yeah this is a common approach in textbooks. But I quite like Gauss' proof of the Fundamental theorem of arithmetic, where he proves Euclid's lemma without even mentioning Bezout's identity :D . In my spare moments where I have fantasized about being a teacher of number theory, I have always wanted to show both approaches to my students :D

I'm not sure if I know this one. I'd be delighted if you could enlighten us! :)
Mandark: Please, oh please, set me up on a date with that golden-haired angel who graces our undeserving school with her infinite beauty!

The collage of ideas. The music of reason. The poetry of thought. The canvas of logic.

TrueTears

• TT
  • Honorary Moderator
« Reply #11 on: November 12, 2009, 07:45:46 pm »

Also:

1. Prove that for

I think I got Q 2...

I tried the following:

Consider

Now as we move further down to say

Now a pattern can be seen:

As long as the starting number is even then can be expressed in the form of where X is the number which is even and

We find that and IFF , then is an even number.

Which means every even n, namely , that is below 1000 can be simplified to merely f(1003), which equals 997.

Thus .

I did a few more trials on paper, and generalised that every odd n below 1000 equals 998 :P
« Last Edit: November 12, 2009, 07:47:46 pm by TrueTears »
PhD @ MIT (Economics).

kamil9876

• Victorian
  • Part of the furniture
« Reply #12 on: November 12, 2009, 07:59:04 pm »
I'm not sure if I know this one. I'd be delighted if you could enlighten us!

Ok so here it is, uses some simple results from modular arithmetic.

lemma: if and are two numbers less than a prime , then is not a multiple of .

suppose this is false, then we can find numbers such that each, is a multiply of . Assume is the smallest of these.

is a prime hence it is between two multiples of :

am<p<a(m+1)
0<p-am<a

however (p-am)b=pb-amb=pb-kpm=p(b-km)

hence a multiple of p, so we have found a number(p-am) that is smaller than a that satisfies that condition, a contradiction.

(If fermat could be bothered doing more than writing conjectures in margins then he probably would've used infinite descent here, i reckon)

edit: oh yeah... and now see if you can use this lemma to prove Euclid's lemma.
« Last Edit: December 21, 2009, 08:51:32 pm by kamil9876 »

Ahmad

• Victorian
  • Part of the furniture
  • *dreamy sigh*
« Reply #13 on: November 12, 2009, 08:48:30 pm »
By division algorithm a = p*k1 + m, b = p*k2 + n, p | ab implies p | mn, with both m and n less than p, which implies at least one of m, n is 0, and therefore a multiple of p. :)

TrueTears

• TT
  • Honorary Moderator
« Reply #14 on: November 12, 2009, 09:11:30 pm »

Also:

1. Prove that for

Just random brainstorming for Q 1...

Consider first the perfect squares:

It can be seen that the largest difference between the perfect squares is 1.

Thus for and the difference between them will be smaller than 1.

This implies that IFF n+1 is NOT a perfect square.

kk I'm leaving this question for now, coming back to it later... brain just can't break through it rofl

PhD @ MIT (Economics).