Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

June 17, 2024, 10:39:15 am

Author Topic: UMEP + 4 VCE subjects next year?  (Read 3752 times)  Share 

boysenberry

• Victorian
  • Forum Obsessive
  • Respect: +1
UMEP + 4 VCE subjects next year?
« on: November 18, 2009, 01:37:26 pm »
Hi everybody. I'm interested in doing UMEP Psychology and I have done VCE Psychology (year 12) this year. I want to do five VCE subjects in total along with UMEP Psychology. However, my school has told me that I must do five VCE subjects next year, knowing that I've already done Psychology this year even if I were do be accepted for UMEP. Though I think I forgot the reason why I have to do five VCE subjects. I think it has to do with me being considered a full-time student and the money that I receive from the government. Or something about it being school policy. If it's the former, is there any way I would be able to only do four VCE subjects along with the extension UMEP subject? Any thoughts?

jerry

• Victorian
  • Trailblazer
Re: UMEP + 4 VCE subjects next year?
« Reply #1 on: November 18, 2009, 01:50:16 pm »
I had the same problem with my school too.

My school told me that 4 subjects was the minimum (I wanted to do three at school + MUEP) to be classified as a full time student
(same reason as you mentioned, funding)

So, I think, its more of a "school" policy.

If it is a school policy, maybe you could try to convince them that there is no point in doing 7 subjects.

hard

« Reply #2 on: November 18, 2009, 02:59:34 pm »
just do one subject that you wont attend, wont care and pretend it does not exist.

minilunchbox

• Victorian
  • Part of the furniture
  • Respect: +6
  • School Grad Year: 2010
« Reply #3 on: November 18, 2009, 06:12:29 pm »
I'm (hopefully) doing 4 subjects + UMEP and one of my friends is doing 3 subjects + a LOTE out of school next year. You could just pick up a subject and then drop it after a few weeks and complain about workload or something.
2011-13: Bachelor of Science (Pharmacology) @ University of Melbourne

boysenberry

• Victorian
  • Forum Obsessive
« Reply #4 on: November 18, 2009, 08:46:15 pm »
yeah, your school might say you have to do 5 but if you fail there's not much they can do

Fail? You can't really fail a year 12 subject can you? And if I try to do this, it might not look good on my record and universities my rethink their ideas of taking me in for whatever course. Are you sure this is a wise idea?

appianway

« Reply #5 on: November 18, 2009, 08:51:34 pm »
It'll be on your transcript, but it won't be used in the calculation of the ENTER, and hence universities won't give it a second thought.

boysenberry

• Victorian
  • Forum Obsessive
« Reply #6 on: November 18, 2009, 09:46:49 pm »
Does anybody think it's worth to try for my sixth VCE subject? It might act as good back-up just incase if I somehow stuff up the exams and SACs for one of my subjects.

I guess I could also just go for outcomes for the subject. Is this worth considering? Would it broaden my tertiary course options? How can doing six VCE subjects and a UMEP subject be beneficial?

bekkchyeah

« Reply #7 on: November 19, 2009, 11:05:38 am »
Any thoughts?

i did 2 subjects in year 11 and in year 12 i did 5 vce subjects + muep so worst comes to worst, its not hard to deal with. (:

humph

• Victorian
  • Part of the furniture
  • Respect: +16
« Reply #8 on: November 19, 2009, 01:25:14 pm »
I had a friend do 3 VCE subjects and UMEP in year 12 (he did two 3/4s in year 11 as well).
VCE 2006
PhB (Hons) (Sc), ANU, 2007-2010
MPhil, ANU, 2011-2012
PhD, Princeton, 2012-2017
Research Associate, University College London, 2017-2020
Assistant Professor, University of Virginia, 2020-

Feel free to ask me about (advanced) mathematics.

periwinkle

« Reply #9 on: November 19, 2009, 01:32:59 pm »
I had a friend do 3 VCE subjects and UMEP in year 12 (he did two 3/4s in year 11 as well).
tempt him here! I'd enjoy being on a forum with him again :)

boysenberry

• Victorian
  • Forum Obsessive
« Reply #10 on: November 19, 2009, 06:07:03 pm »
Any thoughts?

i did 2 subjects in year 11 and in year 12 i did 5 vce subjects + muep so worst comes to worst, its not hard to deal with. (:

Out of curiosity what MUEP subject did you do?

Did you want to do 5 vce subjects in year 12? Or did your school make you do them?

physics

• Victorian
  • ATAR Notes Superstar
  • Its anna :D
  • Respect: +65
« Reply #11 on: November 19, 2009, 07:06:13 pm »
it took me ages to convince my treacher to let me take on 4 subjects...and they have these conditons.*
lol.conditions apply *
HELP ME GRADUATE!
If you know anyone pregnant let me know :)

My youtube channel:
http://www.youtube.com/Fairytailslilangel

bekkchyeah

« Reply #12 on: November 20, 2009, 04:14:48 pm »
Any thoughts?

Out of curiosity what MUEP subject did you do?

Did you want to do 5 vce subjects in year 12? Or did your school make you do them?

I did MUEP Maths and I did spesh, physics, biol, chem and literature this year. My school has a policy about having to do 5 subjects in year 12 even if you have already done year 12 subjects, but it didnt matter anyway because I wanted to do 5 anyway (I didnt think I would even get into enhancement :P)