Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

May 23, 2024, 10:34:18 pm

Author Topic: "inequality" in the homepage  (Read 14020 times)  Share 

brendan

"inequality" in the homepage
« on: February 12, 2008, 02:20:16 pm »
"It should be clear by now that the VCE system, unfortunately, is troubled by the problem of inequality between students from differing socio-economic areas of society. The vast gap separating the top and bottom schools ensures that there are able, willing and motivated students who are being left behind, struggling at the bottom."

Why is inequality a problem?

enwiabe

• Putin
  • ATAR Notes Legend
  • Respect: +529
Re: "inequality" in the homepage
« Reply #1 on: February 12, 2008, 02:29:14 pm »
Inequality in opportunites, resources, etc. which translates into inequality in final marks. Btw, brendan, this is exactly what I mean - arguing for the sake of arguing.

brendan

« Reply #2 on: February 12, 2008, 02:31:21 pm »
Inequality in opportunites, resources, etc. which translates into inequality in final marks. Btw, brendan, this is exactly what I mean - arguing for the sake of arguing.

Dude it was a question. Inequality isn't the problem its mediocre schools. You could very well increase equality by making everyone equally stupid. Yet who would say that is desireable? If there were some government policy that would reduce the resources of those at the top without affecting the resources of anyone else, would you want the government to flip this switch? If you were aiming at reducing inequality you would.
« Last Edit: February 12, 2008, 02:34:32 pm by brendan »

enwiabe

• Putin
  • ATAR Notes Legend
« Reply #3 on: February 12, 2008, 02:33:47 pm »
Yeah, a loaded question. Nice.

brendan

« Reply #4 on: February 12, 2008, 02:34:58 pm »
Yeah, a loaded question. Nice.

"Why is inequality a problem" is a loaded question? haha. It was you that said "problem of inequality" not me. I just asked why is it a problem.

enwiabe

• Putin
  • ATAR Notes Legend
« Reply #5 on: February 12, 2008, 02:36:12 pm »
Extremely loaded. You were just about ready to launch into your libertarian, free market spiel. :-/ Brendan, my advice to you is to pick your battles. You may not agree with everything but that doesn't mean that everything needs a battle. You should pick them wisely, otherwise you just sound belligerent.

brendan

« Reply #6 on: February 12, 2008, 02:39:35 pm »
Let's summarise:

You said "the problem of inequality"

I asked: "Why is inequality a problem?"

Then you say: "Extremely loaded. You were just about ready to launch into your libertarian, free market spiel. :-/ Brendan, my advice to you is to pick your battles. You may not agree with everything but that doesn't mean that everything needs a battle. You should pick them wisely, otherwise you just sound belligerent."

enwiabe

• Putin
  • ATAR Notes Legend
« Reply #7 on: February 12, 2008, 02:42:03 pm »
You think I don't know where that was headed? You've argued about this so many times in the forum, in IRC, on MSN and that's the path you take every time. If I didn't impugn the motives behind your question there, that's exactly what would have happened.

But, in the interests of letting this thread die. You win, Brendan. :) I don't know exactly what you've won or what for but... you have persuaded me. :D

EDIT: Oh nice edit there, Brendan... making your argument after this thread. See? Argument. Every time you post brendan, it's in an argument. See if that doesn't say something about you.
« Last Edit: February 12, 2008, 02:43:34 pm by enwiabe »

Collin Li

• VCE Tutor
  • Victorian
  • ATAR Notes Legend
  • Respect: +17
« Reply #8 on: February 12, 2008, 09:47:44 pm »
Inequality isn't the problem - the problem is the low standard set by public schools. Our goal is to lift standards all across the board, as these resources are accessible by all.

Nick

• Victorian
  • Forum Leader
  • Respect: +6
« Reply #9 on: February 12, 2008, 09:54:25 pm »
I'm wondering why a separate thread was needed given that enwiabe set up a thread specifically for "VCE notes constructive criticism".
Bachelor of Arts (Psychology) @ The University of Melbourne

Collin Li

• VCE Tutor
  • Victorian
  • ATAR Notes Legend
« Reply #10 on: February 12, 2008, 09:59:52 pm »
How can you be against "libertarian, free market spiel" as you call it when the introduction message mentions VCE Notes as the "free market solution"?

I don't understand why you are so quick to defend yourself when the question is so tame.

enwiabe

• Putin
  • ATAR Notes Legend
« Reply #11 on: February 12, 2008, 10:03:52 pm »
It's not being 'against' it at all. I'm just saying that that would have been the spiel into which he'd have launched as soon as I'd answered the question in a manner that went against the ideal. As I said, it was a LOADED question indicative of his wanting to start that argument.

costargh

« Reply #12 on: February 12, 2008, 10:08:00 pm »
There's nothing wrong with saying that their is inequality in education and I know what Dan is saying. He's just saying that this site should be free to everyone to access regardless of socio-economic background and I applaud him for the idea.

Collin Li

• VCE Tutor
  • Victorian
  • ATAR Notes Legend
« Reply #13 on: February 12, 2008, 10:10:38 pm »
I applaud the idea but the goal is not to reduce inequality - the goal is to have resources available for as many people as possible. That is what brendan was getting at, and that is all there is. He was not trying to start an argument. You shouldn't jump to conclusions. It's hardly "libertarian." It's just rational to point out that our goal is to improve everybody, rather than say we are trying to squish the top and bottom tiers together.

enwiabe

• Putin
  • ATAR Notes Legend
« Reply #14 on: February 12, 2008, 10:59:46 pm »
Actually the primary goal *is* to reduce inequality. The inequality is between resources and opportunities. This site gives EVERYBODY A+ resources as opposed to just private schools in the past. That, sir, is bridging the inequality gap. This site would not help very many private schoolers, I've gotta say. I hardly needed any help on BoS or any extra notes outside of school simply because my own school provided them bountifully. Unfortunately, Joe Bloggs from Wangaratta didn't get what I had, and this site rectifies that.