Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

May 24, 2024, 05:09:43 am

Author Topic: Advice/WhatToDo/WhatNot for 1st year UNI ppl  (Read 14392 times)  Share 

dejan91

• Victorian
  • Forum Leader
  • Without risk, there is no adventure.
  • Respect: +7
Re: Advice/WhatToDo/WhatNot for 1st year UNI ppl
« Reply #15 on: February 04, 2010, 02:02:38 pm »
However if you are going to Monash and are a girl (or a Scottish guy...), do not, I repeat, DO NOT ever EVER wear a dress or a skirt unless it's long and heavy.

Don't say I didn't warn you.

Lol is it because Monash tends to be a windy place (hence why you recommended "long and heavy")?

Oh, and probably the best way to act, dress, etc etc is to be yourself, because at the end of the day the friends you make are going to be the one's who accept you as the person you are.
When I get sad, I stop being sad, and be AWESOME instead. True story.

jejak

• Victorian
  • Forum Obsessive
  • sudo make me a sandwich
  • Respect: +1
« Reply #16 on: February 04, 2010, 02:18:59 pm »
Best advice I can give re: this - there will always be someone, most likely a lot of people, who will be smarter than you at uni. Don't let it discourage you. Marks aren't the be all end all.

Also, university standards are a lot higher than high school. For example, a 76 is a very very good score (upper end of Distinction) while in high school it probably would only have been a B or something. So don't compare your uni marks with your high school standards.

Thanks for the info re: university standards - I will bear that in mind. Unfortunately my course at ANU requires an HD average to avoid academic probation, but at least I now know which range of scores are considered "very very good" etc.

On the "there will always be someone smarter than you" - yes, I realise that logically this must be the case. Usually I don't beat myself up about it - it just takes some effort to stay in the right mindset. Thanks though.
2008: Biology |
2009: Literature | Indonesian SL | Chinese SL | Methods | Chemistry |
ENTER: 99.65

ReVeL

• Victorian
  • Forum Leader
  • Respect: +3
« Reply #17 on: February 04, 2010, 03:43:06 pm »
However if you are going to Monash and are a girl (or a Scottish guy...), do not, I repeat, DO NOT ever EVER wear a dress or a skirt unless it's long and heavy.

Don't say I didn't warn you.

Lol is it because Monash tends to be a windy place (hence why you recommended "long and heavy")?

Haha I was wondering what this comment meant too.. But yeah that makes sense. Guess theres a lot left to the imagination at Monash haha..
||  2008 VCE Graduate  ||  BCom @ UoM [Accounting & Finance Majors] - Completing 3rd year  ||

ninwa

• Great Wonder of ATAR Notes
  • Respect: +1021
« Reply #18 on: February 04, 2010, 04:18:03 pm »

Haha I was wondering what this comment meant too.. But yeah that makes sense. Guess theres a lot left to the imagination at Monash haha..

Yes >_> it's perpetually windy at Clayton... the Menzies building is a giant wind tunnel
ExamPro enquiries to [email protected]

rhjc.1991

• Victorian
  • Forum Obsessive
  • Respect: +23
« Reply #19 on: February 04, 2010, 04:47:15 pm »

Yes >_> it's perpetually windy at Clayton... the Menzies building is a giant wind tunnel

Reminds me of what happened at my Adelaide interviews ... the girl in charge asked, on behalf of interviewers, for all girls wearing skirts to keep their legs together because it had caused a problem the week before and the interviewers were complaining.

True story

Eriny

• The lamp of enlightenment
  • Honorary Moderator
  • ATAR Notes Superstar
  • Respect: +100
« Reply #20 on: February 04, 2010, 05:21:10 pm »
I rock up to uni in jeans, t-shirt and jacket. Lots of people seem to be constantly having a contest called 'who is the most indie?' and it looks like they got dressed in their grandmother's dark closet. If you like that sort of thing, then that's acceptable too.

ninwa

• Great Wonder of ATAR Notes
  • Respect: +1021
« Reply #21 on: February 04, 2010, 05:30:08 pm »
then that's acceptable too.

no it's not
ExamPro enquiries to [email protected]

dejan91

• Victorian
  • Forum Leader
  • Without risk, there is no adventure.
  • Respect: +7
« Reply #22 on: February 04, 2010, 06:56:32 pm »
I saw a guy at Melbourne Uni wearing flowerprint fisherman pants (and drinking goon..)
When I get sad, I stop being sad, and be AWESOME instead. True story.

TrueLight

• Victorian
  • ATAR Notes Superstar
  • Respect: +9
« Reply #23 on: February 04, 2010, 09:57:36 pm »

lol yep!! i was just going to mention that
« Last Edit: February 04, 2010, 09:59:11 pm by TrueLight »
http://www.campaignforliberty.com

Completed Bachelor of Science. Majored in Immunology and Microbiology.

“Who controls the past, controls the future. Who controls the present, controls the past.”
George Orwell, 1984.

"Terrorism is the best political weapon for nothing drives people harder than a fear of sudden death."
Adolf Hitler

“The bigger the lie, the more inclined people will be to believe it”
Adolf Hitler

"Beware the leader who bangs the drums of war in order to whip the citizenry into a patriotic fervor, for patriotism is indeed a double-edged sword. It both emboldens the blood, just

QuantumJG

• Victorian
  • Part of the furniture
  • Applied Mathematics Student at UoM
  • Respect: +82
« Reply #24 on: February 04, 2010, 10:10:56 pm »
Uni sounds really scary
I know!! I'm terrified. Not so much the academic side, but more how to conduct yourself in academic and social situations. And what kinds of standards and formats you're expected to maintain.

Just be yourself at uni. In social situations try to be out going and in academic situations 'DO NOT' question something they have said that seems to challenge them, my friend did this and had an epic fail. Also in tutes don't answer questions all the time, but make sure you contribute so you actually get something out of a tutorial.

Actually, on a very superficial point: if someone could weigh in on the dress code, that would be awesome. I'm assuming it's just casual, not smart-casual (whatever that means). But I need info, info!

Go in what ever you want to. But please DO NOT come in a suite as you look pretentious. On hot summer days I will go in a T-Shirt and shorts, normal days t-shirt or long sleave shirt and jeans and in winter I will wear a jacket, long sleave shirt and jeans.

But my friend is trying to make a trend where on a particular day, once every year he comes in a suit (He is doing Actuarial studies) and I'll find out the day and come in a suit. Mind you he had a lot of people looking at him weirdly, but it should still be fun.

Mind you I have seen people wearing the Mexican sombreros and all the other Mexican attire come into my programming lecture to sing "the Mexican dance" during prosh week.  
2008: Finished VCE

2009 - 2011: Bachelor of Science (Mathematical Physics)

2012 - 2014: Master of Science (Applied Mathematics/Mathematical Physics)

2016 - 2018: Master of Engineering (Civil)

Semester 1:[/b] Engineering Mechanics, Fluid Mechanics, Engineering Risk Analysis, Sustainable Infrastructure Engineering

Semester 2:[/b] Earth Processes for Engineering, Engineering Materials, Structural Theory and Design, Systems Modelling and Design

Edmund

• Dr. Ruler Snapper
  • Victorian
  • Part of the furniture
  • Respect: +95
« Reply #25 on: February 04, 2010, 10:19:46 pm »
Raymond Priestley at UoM is also pretty windy too...
2007-2008 VCE ATAR 90.15
2009-2011 BSc (Unimelb)
2012-2015 DDS (Unimelb)

Booksale: Drugs That Shape Society, Forests in a Global Context

minilunchbox

• Victorian
  • Part of the furniture
  • Respect: +6
  • School Grad Year: 2010
« Reply #26 on: February 04, 2010, 10:24:19 pm »
Raymond Priestley at UoM is also pretty windy too...

It was so windy on Open Day last year. We just stood there because we couldn't even move against the wind so we had to wait for it to pass.
2011-13: Bachelor of Science (Pharmacology) @ University of Melbourne

QuantumJG

• Victorian
  • Part of the furniture
« Reply #27 on: February 04, 2010, 10:25:03 pm »
I saw a guy at Melbourne Uni wearing flowerprint fisherman pants (and drinking goon..)

Yeah that's pretty common.

Soon you'll see people wearing stuff from Woodstock and smoking joints. In my engineering workshop I can remember asking my group if the people running it would be okay with me eating my lunch, I turn around and see someone drinking a beer.

There can be quite a few weirdo's on campus.

Semester 1:[/b] Engineering Mechanics, Fluid Mechanics, Engineering Risk Analysis, Sustainable Infrastructure Engineering

Semester 2:[/b] Earth Processes for Engineering, Engineering Materials, Structural Theory and Design, Systems Modelling and Design

*ryan777*

• Victorian
  • Forum Leader
  • Respect: +2
« Reply #28 on: February 04, 2010, 10:45:31 pm »

Soon you'll see people wearing stuff from Woodstock and smoking joints. In my engineering workshop I can remember asking my group if the people running it would be okay with me eating my lunch, I turn around and see someone drinking a beer.

wtf....to think most of these ppl had to get 90+ for these courses.....
2010: Bachelor of Economics @ Monash University - Clayton
Sem1: Priciples of Accounting/Finance, Principles of Microeconomics, Business Statistics, Japanese 5
Sem2: Intro to Financial Accounting, Corporate Finance, Principles of Macroeconomics, Japanese 6

QuantumJG

• Victorian
  • Part of the furniture
« Reply #29 on: February 04, 2010, 10:55:06 pm »

wtf....to think most of these ppl had to get 90+ for these courses.....

Lol!

That is what I thought.