Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

June 05, 2024, 11:33:24 am

Author Topic: Essay writing/text response  (Read 4953 times)  Share 

Nick

• Victorian
  • Forum Leader
  • Respect: +6
Essay writing/text response
« Reply #15 on: November 30, 2007, 05:46:44 pm »
Quote from: "rustic_metal"
I'm with BA22 on this one.

Fair enough.

Believe me though, If you're after a 38+ study score, adopting a revision program of simply critiquing writing and reading notes won't even get you close to achieving your desired score.

Some of your best work can emerge in the last few weeks, making it a highly beneficial exercise. Don't estimate the power of putting in some intense work in the weeks leading up to the exam.
Bachelor of Arts (Psychology) @ The University of Melbourne

BA22

Re: Essay writing/text response
« Reply #16 on: December 01, 2007, 09:11:14 am »
That's your experience though Nick. We can no longer provide evidence via our own experiences really as the fundamental nature of the course has changed. Quality, consistent essays come from quality, consistent effort. Do not under estimate the impact of a revised exam structure

joshuamorgan

« Reply #17 on: December 03, 2007, 09:50:30 pm »
Thanks guys for the tips, I wasn't aware this thread was still active which is why I haven't replied. I'll definitely take those into mind and put in as much effort as possible (as I want to achieve the best I possibly can), as in the past I've only put in the bare minimum (and walked away with B/B+ average).

Eriny

• The lamp of enlightenment
  • Honorary Moderator
  • ATAR Notes Superstar
  • Respect: +100
« Reply #18 on: December 04, 2007, 05:58:13 am »
Agreed that consistency is the key, not just with English but with any subject. But, practise essays in the weeks leading up to the exam won't hurt. Ideally by then they will serve as ways to finetune your responses as well as time management.

I think you can also help develop greater depth in your responses by picking out a random page in one of your texts, read it, and ask what does the writer do and why? This is probably more Lit related, but it could be a useful excercise. Why does the writer talk about the plant in the corner of the room? Do they adopt a tone? Do they use language in an interesting way? Do the characters talk in a certain way? Just keep asking why and find your own answer (or if you can't, discuss it with others).