Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

June 16, 2024, 03:33:25 pm

Author Topic: Does anyone know which courses are the most competitive in Vic?  (Read 7154 times)  Share 

vexx

• Victorian
  • ATAR Notes Legend
Re: Does anyone know which courses are the most competitive in Vic?
« Reply #15 on: August 05, 2010, 08:13:38 pm »
:(
that means i have just about 0 chance.
biomed for me
or science (8

well clearly you still have chance.. just need a good umat !!!!
yay for science, (better than biomed!)
2010 VCE: psychology | english language | methods cas | further | chemistry | physical ed | uni chemistry || ATAR: 97.40 ||

2011: BSc @ UoM

Y1: biology of cells&organisms | music psychology | biological psychology | secret life of language | creative writing
    || genetics&the evolution of life | biochemistry&molecular biology | techniques of molecular science -.- | mind,brain&behaviour 2

20XX: MEDICINE

Michael0007

• Victorian
  • Forum Regular
« Reply #16 on: August 06, 2010, 12:16:56 am »
biomed for me
or science (8

Isn't Biomed advantageous for those who're doing the GAMSAT later?

vexx

• Victorian
  • ATAR Notes Legend
« Reply #17 on: August 06, 2010, 12:26:44 am »
biomed for me
or science (8

There is no advantage doing biomed over science if you do in science first year chem&bio, and then some physics (either uni or private study year 12 course)
2010 VCE: psychology | english language | methods cas | further | chemistry | physical ed | uni chemistry || ATAR: 97.40 ||

Y1: biology of cells&organisms | music psychology | biological psychology | secret life of language | creative writing
    || genetics&the evolution of life | biochemistry&molecular biology | techniques of molecular science -.- | mind,brain&behaviour 2

happyhappyland

• Victorian
  • Forum Leader
« Reply #18 on: August 06, 2010, 08:56:57 pm »
biomed for me
or science (8

There is no advantage doing biomed over science if you do in science first year chem&bio, and then some physics (either uni or private study year 12 course)

I reckon science would be even better... more freedom and u get to do that physics for the gamsat during first year... ur subjects in year 1 would be chem bio physics + breadth.  and bio is very similiar to year 12 course.
2011: Bachelor of Science (Melbourne)

Russ

• Honorary Moderator
  • Great Wonder of ATAR Notes
« Reply #19 on: August 06, 2010, 09:01:49 pm »
I reckon science would be even better... more freedom and u get to do that physics for the gamsat during first year... ur subjects in year 1 would be chem bio physics + breadth.  and bio is very similiar to year 12 course.

This is the first year biomed syllabus (+ calc and stats).

But yeah, there is really no difference between them.

vexx

• Victorian
  • ATAR Notes Legend
« Reply #20 on: August 06, 2010, 09:08:42 pm »

This is the first year biomed syllabus (+ calc and stats).

But yeah, there is really no difference between them.

but the physics for biomedicine subject if trying to relate to science requires the full year of physics (as life physics or whatever its called requires the first semester of physics)

Russ

• Honorary Moderator
« Reply #21 on: August 06, 2010, 09:18:14 pm »
Eh? It's standalone, you do it if you didn't do high school physics. If you did then you do the other one, it's only 1 semester either way.

Mulan

« Reply #22 on: August 06, 2010, 10:55:56 pm »
if you get 99+ as and ATAR wouldnt you be clearly in and not need to do a GAMSAT for melb?
if i got 99+ i think id pick science at melbourne cause you're guarenteed in med anyways and if you change your mind that you dont want to do med anymore within the 3 yrs, science offers a lot more other choices for graduate courses.
and doesnt doing MD at melbourne sound way better than ding MBBS at monash, even if it's a 2 yr diffrence? and its right next to royal melbourne hospital which in my opinion is better than monash hospital X]
...and good city location.

But if i got under 99 and above say 97 then i would choice biomed cause it sounds more medical :) than science.

vexx

• Victorian
  • ATAR Notes Legend
« Reply #23 on: August 06, 2010, 11:15:26 pm »
Eh? It's standalone, you do it if you didn't do high school physics. If you did then you do the other one, it's only 1 semester either way.

oh sorry i meant the science version requires 1 year as it requires the first unit to do life physics (or whatever its called).

Hutchoo

• Victorian
  • ATAR Notes Superstar
  • Mate.
« Reply #24 on: August 06, 2010, 11:21:06 pm »
Jeesh, seeing things like this makes me doubt if I'll ever do medicine :'( such a hard decision to think about what stuff you're interested in :F

Russ

• Honorary Moderator
« Reply #25 on: August 08, 2010, 01:37:23 pm »
if you get 99+ as and ATAR wouldnt you be clearly in and not need to do a GAMSAT for melb?

If you want a full fee place, yes. If you want a CSP place, sit the GAMSAT.

and doesnt doing MD at melbourne sound way better than ding MBBS at monash, even if it's a 2 yr diffrence? and its right next to royal melbourne hospital which in my opinion is better than monash hospital X]

Oh god, don't pick based on MD vs. MBBS, there's pretty much no difference in accreditation. But yeah, there are half a dozen hospitals right around UoM...I was at a clinic at RCH and the guy said "yeah we get all the melbourne students through here on rotations". But either way there's a guaranteed internship, which is your goal.

Although now that I think about it, I was reading some stuff on AMSA about the guarantee no longer existing :S

shinny

• VN MVP 2010
  • Honorary Moderator
  • ATAR Notes Legend
  • School: Melbourne High School
  • School Grad Year: 2008
« Reply #26 on: August 08, 2010, 01:46:40 pm »
if i got 99+ i think id pick science at melbourne cause you're guarenteed in med anyways and if you change your mind that you dont want to do med anymore within the 3 yrs, science offers a lot more other choices for graduate courses.

But if i got under 99 and above say 97 then i would choice biomed cause it sounds more medical :) than science.

Yeh, the MD/MBBS distinction won't make much of a difference. They just took the American title really. As for the hospitals, Monash does have Monash Medical Centre nearby which is still a good hospital, but they've also got the Alfred which is universally recognised the best teaching hospital in Victoria, as well as Cabrini which is a private hospital. While UoM has a wide range of quality hospitals (Royal Melbourne, Royal Children's, Royal Women's, St. Vincents, Austin etc.), I guess Monash has less quantity, but higher quality. Monash is also better if you would prefer having a suburban hospital (Box Hill, Dandenong, Moorabin etc.) rather than needing to trek to the city every single day.
MBBS (hons) - Monash University

YR11 '07: Biology 49
YR12 '08: Chemistry 47; Spesh 41; Methods 49; Business Management 50; English 43

ENTER: 99.70

Mulan

« Reply #27 on: August 08, 2010, 02:02:11 pm »
ohhhhh.
yea i reckon people doing MBBS are smarter than those who will do MD.
But i just think the ones who went melb will come out and get better jobs still?
i dunno, just my opinion. i dont know much about this stuff.
bleh med looks too hard anyways, im gonna be a biomedical engineer :)))
oh! but after doing work experience at a hospital...surgery looks like an awesome job...

Russ

• Honorary Moderator
« Reply #28 on: August 08, 2010, 02:06:15 pm »

How on earth did you jump to this conclusion..?

But i just think the ones who went melb will come out and get better jobs still?

Potentially, but it won't be based on the fact that they come from Melbourne. University discrimination isn't as prevalent in medicine as it is in, say, engineering. Also, ugh surgery, could never do that :S

Mulan

« Reply #29 on: August 08, 2010, 02:08:23 pm »

How on earth did you jump to this conclusion..?

Potentially, but it won't be based on the fact that they come from Melbourne. University discrimination isn't as prevalent in medicine as it is in, say, engineering. Also, ugh surgery, could never do that :S

UHH cause most smart people who wanna do med sit the UMAT? ionno XD
why never surgery? :O