Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

June 16, 2024, 07:46:17 am

Author Topic: What does studying and practicing law actually entail?  (Read 11887 times)  Share 

vexx

• Victorian
  • ATAR Notes Legend
  • Respect: +66
Re: What does studying and practicing law actually entail?
« Reply #15 on: August 30, 2010, 10:11:47 pm »
Electives aren't more complex than compulsory units :)
At Monash you spend a whole semester studying the tort of negligence... there's also criminal law (studying stuff like negligent manslaughter)... we do study a few cases involving medical negligence but not many. There's not a great focus on it, since there's an entire elective subject devoted to it.

You could always sit in on a law lecture :P there's so many students nobody would know you aren't in uni lol. I can get you a timetable if you want.
ooo i seeee.
i'd considering sitting in thanks, but:
- i wouldn't understand it, as it'll be out of context and potentially overwhelming
- monash is ages away and no way to get there especially during a school day (holidays?) still far...
law sounds like it could be sort of interesting, but also sounds horribly boring so i'm afraid to consider it haha. as i love problem-solving+public speaking, but legal issues.errr

><
2010 VCE: psychology | english language | methods cas | further | chemistry | physical ed | uni chemistry || ATAR: 97.40 ||

2011: BSc @ UoM

Y1: biology of cells&organisms | music psychology | biological psychology | secret life of language | creative writing
    || genetics&the evolution of life | biochemistry&molecular biology | techniques of molecular science -.- | mind,brain&behaviour 2

20XX: MEDICINE

excal

• VN Security
  • Victorian
  • ATAR Notes Legend
  • Über-Geek
  • Respect: +21
« Reply #16 on: August 30, 2010, 10:15:23 pm »
LOL. Yeah, could like people post up examples of timetables... on how the electives and subjects work in Uni?.. what would a normal week at Uni be like as a Law student...? I'm hoping to do Law or Commerce/Law at Monash after Year 12! :P

ISN'T like Negligence and Criminal Law etc. covered in Legal Studies 1/2 + 3/4... wouldn't I just be re-learning what I've learnt in Year 11 and 12. Although, in saying that, it probs goes into more detail at Uni level... :)

Cheers.

No.
excal (VCE 05/06) BBIS(IBL) GradCertSc(Statistics) MBBS(Hons) GCertClinUS -- current Master of Medicine candidate
Former Global Moderator

ninwa

• Great Wonder of ATAR Notes
  • Respect: +1021
« Reply #17 on: August 30, 2010, 10:17:39 pm »
If you're talking straight law:
4 subjects - usually 3 hours each (4 hours after week 6, which is when tutorials start) = 12 contact hours a week, upped to 16 contact hours a week when tutes start.

Commerce/law:
Usually 2 commerce 2 law. Don't know what contact hours are like since I don't do it.

You are expected to do ~4-6 hours of personal study for every contact hour in law. And you'll need that time if you plan on reading every single case you are expected to.

You generally do most of the compulsory/core subjects before you tackle electives, as a lot of them have pre-requisities.

ISN'T like Negligence and Criminal Law etc. covered in Legal Studies 1/2 + 3/4... wouldn't I just be re-learning what I've learnt in Year 11 and 12.

Please be joking...
ExamPro enquiries to [email protected]

eeps

• Victorian
  • ATAR Notes Superstar
  • Respect: +343
« Reply #18 on: August 30, 2010, 10:26:10 pm »
If you're talking straight law:
4 subjects - usually 3 hours each (4 hours after week 6, which is when tutorials start) = 12 contact hours a week, upped to 16 contact hours a week when tutes start.

Commerce/law:
Usually 2 commerce 2 law. Don't know what contact hours are like since I don't do it.

You are expected to do ~4-6 hours of personal study for every contact hour in law. And you'll need that time if you plan on reading every single case you are expected to.

You generally do most of the compulsory/core subjects before you tackle electives, as a lot of them have pre-requisities.

ISN'T like Negligence and Criminal Law etc. covered in Legal Studies 1/2 + 3/4... wouldn't I just be re-learning what I've learnt in Year 11 and 12.

Please be joking...

LOL. ok... I was obviously wrong in my assumption and thus, I was joking. :P

THIS is probs a noob question... but... What does it mean by "Contact Hours" and "Tutorials"..?
« Last Edit: August 31, 2010, 05:35:10 pm by EPL.11.4ever. »

vexx

• Victorian
  • ATAR Notes Legend
« Reply #19 on: August 30, 2010, 10:28:21 pm »
^ contact hours is the number of hours spent at uni in tutes/lectures/etc.
tutorials are group disccusion-classroom like learning environments where you are with usually taught by someone in the higher year levels who is going through what you learnt in lectures that week. not sure how it works for law though if you only start this in week 6?
2010 VCE: psychology | english language | methods cas | further | chemistry | physical ed | uni chemistry || ATAR: 97.40 ||

Y1: biology of cells&organisms | music psychology | biological psychology | secret life of language | creative writing
    || genetics&the evolution of life | biochemistry&molecular biology | techniques of molecular science -.- | mind,brain&behaviour 2

eeps

• Victorian
  • ATAR Notes Superstar
  • Respect: +343
« Reply #20 on: August 30, 2010, 10:32:35 pm »
^ contact hours is the number of hours spent at uni in tutes/lectures/etc.
tutorials are group disccusion-classroom like learning environments where you are with usually taught by someone in the higher year levels who is going through what you learnt in lectures that week. not sure how it works for law though if you only start this in week 6?

sweet! Thanks. :)

ninwa

• Great Wonder of ATAR Notes
  • Respect: +1021
« Reply #21 on: August 30, 2010, 10:35:38 pm »
LOL. ok... I was joking. :P

PHEW.
In case you weren't: comparing VCE legal studies to law subjects is like comparing year 7 linear algebra to UMEP/MUEP.

Law tutes are generally taught by those with law degrees. (There's too many of them.)
Tutorial questions generally consist of mini-problems like you'd get in an exam, but only focusing on one area of law per week.

The idea is that you need those extra weeks to work on those problems, especially considering participation in tutes makes up 10% of your overall mark.
(It doesn't seem like much, but my friend missed out on a HD by 3 marks and hadn't gone to a single tute. Imagine if she'd bothered just going to one or two and saying something.)
ExamPro enquiries to [email protected]

lynt.br

• Victorian
  • Forum Leader
  • Respect: +50
« Reply #22 on: August 30, 2010, 11:58:47 pm »
None of my tutes are assessed so a lot of people don't bother going to them. TBH they aren't THAT useful anyway and a lot of the tutors aren't very helpful.

As for contact hours for commerce/law, I have 14.5 hours at the moment (13.5 hours before week 6).

vexx

• Victorian
  • ATAR Notes Legend
« Reply #23 on: August 31, 2010, 12:49:40 am »
None of my tutes are assessed so a lot of people don't bother going to them. TBH they aren't THAT useful anyway and a lot of the tutors aren't very helpful.

As for contact hours for commerce/law, I have 14.5 hours at the moment (13.5 hours before week 6).

14.5hrs? thats pretty good.

i wonder if biomedical science/laws would be intense..
haha 6hours per biomed subjects, first year would be like 21+ hrs ><