Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

October 11, 2026, 03:22:56 pm

Author Topic: IS THIS RIGHT? I THINK ITS WRONG?  (Read 18953 times)  Share 

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

sillysmile

  • Victorian
  • Forum Leader
  • ****
  • Posts: 644
  • :>
  • Respect: +11
Re: IS THIS RIGHT? I THINK ITS WRONG?
« Reply #45 on: October 31, 2010, 05:54:59 pm »
0
I couldn't find my textbook, I apologize...
haha, I haven't used it in about 2 or 3 months.
2010: Biology 37+   Literature 25+    Physical ed 36+   Psychology 44+
ATAR: 80+ and I will be happy.
2011: Psychological science @LaTrobe (bundoora campus)

"Wrinkles should merely indicate where smiles have been"-- Mark Twain

Slumdawg

  • Victorian
  • Part of the furniture
  • *****
  • Posts: 1531
  • Respect: +65
Re: IS THIS RIGHT? I THINK ITS WRONG?
« Reply #46 on: October 31, 2010, 05:55:57 pm »
0
so the antecedent is just the stimulus presented before the response in CC?

Antecedent is only used in terms of operant conditioning not classical.

It is just the "trigger" for the response. So the antecedent with the puzzle box is the actual box (as being contained inside a box made the cat want to get out) and the lever I'd assume...
2010 ATAR: 98.35 - Psychology [50] Media Studies [47] 
2011-'13: Bachelor of Biomedicine [Neuroscience Major] at Melbourne Uni 
2014-'17: Doctor of Medicine (MD) at Melbourne Uni 


Spreadbury

  • Victorian
  • Forum Leader
  • ****
  • Posts: 787
  • Respect: +12
Re: IS THIS RIGHT? I THINK ITS WRONG?
« Reply #47 on: October 31, 2010, 05:56:42 pm »
0
the UCS is just a stimulus that elicits a naturally occurring, automatic response (the UCR)... it's not reinforcement.
Bachelor of Laws, Deakin

sillysmile

  • Victorian
  • Forum Leader
  • ****
  • Posts: 644
  • :>
  • Respect: +11
Re: IS THIS RIGHT? I THINK ITS WRONG?
« Reply #48 on: October 31, 2010, 05:57:34 pm »
0
I don't want to start another argument, but the UCS is not a reinforcer of any kind.
while it sounds silly :P, my textbook says that it is a reinforcer...
I must maintain that it sounds silly...

because the UCS must be associated with CS in order for the CR to consistently recur. (otherwise the CR will become extinguished)
« Last Edit: October 31, 2010, 05:59:42 pm by sillysmile »
2010: Biology 37+   Literature 25+    Physical ed 36+   Psychology 44+
ATAR: 80+ and I will be happy.
2011: Psychological science @LaTrobe (bundoora campus)

"Wrinkles should merely indicate where smiles have been"-- Mark Twain

jinny1

  • Victorian
  • Part of the furniture
  • *****
  • Posts: 1328
  • .carpe diem
  • Respect: +105
  • School: Melbourne Dental School
Re: IS THIS RIGHT? I THINK ITS WRONG?
« Reply #49 on: October 31, 2010, 05:57:56 pm »
0
I get you shilayli06...

my problem is in my A+ book... tells me CC is characterized by antecedents events, while it speaks nothing of antecedents in OC...

pg. 61
:D :) ;D :D :) ;D :D :) ;D :D :) ;D :D :) ;D :D :) ;D                               

Slumdawg

  • Victorian
  • Part of the furniture
  • *****
  • Posts: 1531
  • Respect: +65
Re: IS THIS RIGHT? I THINK ITS WRONG?
« Reply #50 on: October 31, 2010, 05:58:26 pm »
0
I couldn't find my textbook, I apologize...
haha, I haven't used it in about 2 or 3 months.
The heinemann textbook doesn't have the ABC model in it, just checked again.
2010 ATAR: 98.35 - Psychology [50] Media Studies [47] 
2011-'13: Bachelor of Biomedicine [Neuroscience Major] at Melbourne Uni 
2014-'17: Doctor of Medicine (MD) at Melbourne Uni 


sillysmile

  • Victorian
  • Forum Leader
  • ****
  • Posts: 644
  • :>
  • Respect: +11
Re: IS THIS RIGHT? I THINK ITS WRONG?
« Reply #51 on: October 31, 2010, 06:00:25 pm »
0
I couldn't find my textbook, I apologize...
haha, I haven't used it in about 2 or 3 months.
The heinemann textbook doesn't have the ABC model in it, just checked again.
oh, well I must have learnt that somewhere else then :S
2010: Biology 37+   Literature 25+    Physical ed 36+   Psychology 44+
ATAR: 80+ and I will be happy.
2011: Psychological science @LaTrobe (bundoora campus)

"Wrinkles should merely indicate where smiles have been"-- Mark Twain

jinny1

  • Victorian
  • Part of the furniture
  • *****
  • Posts: 1328
  • .carpe diem
  • Respect: +105
  • School: Melbourne Dental School
Re: IS THIS RIGHT? I THINK ITS WRONG?
« Reply #52 on: October 31, 2010, 06:00:54 pm »
0
guys if i wrote in an exam...

" In CC, the reinforcer/reinforcement/stimulus is presented before the response, whereas in OC, the reinforcer/reinforcement/stimulus is presented after the response"

would i be correct??

thats all im kinda worried about
:D :) ;D :D :) ;D :D :) ;D :D :) ;D :D :) ;D :D :) ;D                               

sillysmile

  • Victorian
  • Forum Leader
  • ****
  • Posts: 644
  • :>
  • Respect: +11
Re: IS THIS RIGHT? I THINK ITS WRONG?
« Reply #53 on: October 31, 2010, 06:03:10 pm »
0
guys if i wrote in an exam...

" In CC, the reinforcer/reinforcement/stimulus is presented before the response, whereas in OC, the reinforcer/reinforcement/stimulus is presented after the response"

would i be correct??

thats all im kinda worried about
hahahaha, man this has become incredibly confusing and insane...
2010: Biology 37+   Literature 25+    Physical ed 36+   Psychology 44+
ATAR: 80+ and I will be happy.
2011: Psychological science @LaTrobe (bundoora campus)

"Wrinkles should merely indicate where smiles have been"-- Mark Twain

Slumdawg

  • Victorian
  • Part of the furniture
  • *****
  • Posts: 1531
  • Respect: +65
Re: IS THIS RIGHT? I THINK ITS WRONG?
« Reply #54 on: October 31, 2010, 06:03:52 pm »
0
I get you shilayli06...

my problem is in my A+ book... tells me CC is characterized by antecedents events, while it speaks nothing of antecedents in OC...

pg. 61
Yep I just checked it then. The definition of antecedent in general is "a thing or event that precedes another". So you could substitute "proceeding" with that sentence in A+ notes to avoid confusion.

I also see they've referred to CC and the ABC model which is strange because it was devised by Skinner who is best known for operant conditioning and I've always been taught that ABC model = operant. I guess you could use it for classical conditioning but I wouldn't, it gets too confusing and it was originally intended to be used to explain operant conditioning no classical..
2010 ATAR: 98.35 - Psychology [50] Media Studies [47] 
2011-'13: Bachelor of Biomedicine [Neuroscience Major] at Melbourne Uni 
2014-'17: Doctor of Medicine (MD) at Melbourne Uni 


Spreadbury

  • Victorian
  • Forum Leader
  • ****
  • Posts: 787
  • Respect: +12
Re: IS THIS RIGHT? I THINK ITS WRONG?
« Reply #55 on: October 31, 2010, 06:04:05 pm »
0
guys if i wrote in an exam...

" In CC, the reinforcer/reinforcement/stimulus is presented before the response, whereas in OC, the reinforcer/reinforcement/stimulus is presented after the response"

would i be correct??

thats all im kinda worried about

for operant condtitioning do not say that the "stimulus" is presented after the response, say "reinforcement (and/or) punishment," try to be specific. and for classical conditioning say "the CS (and/or) UCS is presented before the response" and you should be golden. I would steer clear of saying 'reinforcement' for Classical conditioning as i've never come across it being used for CC
Bachelor of Laws, Deakin

jinny1

  • Victorian
  • Part of the furniture
  • *****
  • Posts: 1328
  • .carpe diem
  • Respect: +105
  • School: Melbourne Dental School
Re: IS THIS RIGHT? I THINK ITS WRONG?
« Reply #56 on: October 31, 2010, 06:04:25 pm »
0
we shud call up Glockmeister :P
:D :) ;D :D :) ;D :D :) ;D :D :) ;D :D :) ;D :D :) ;D                               

Spreadbury

  • Victorian
  • Forum Leader
  • ****
  • Posts: 787
  • Respect: +12
Re: IS THIS RIGHT? I THINK ITS WRONG?
« Reply #57 on: October 31, 2010, 06:05:26 pm »
0
we shud call up Glockmeister :P

he doesn't like answering the Glock-phone. and if you show up at the Glock-cave he's always drunk and angry (inside joke anyone?)
Bachelor of Laws, Deakin

Slumdawg

  • Victorian
  • Part of the furniture
  • *****
  • Posts: 1531
  • Respect: +65
Re: IS THIS RIGHT? I THINK ITS WRONG?
« Reply #58 on: October 31, 2010, 06:05:53 pm »
0
I couldn't find my textbook, I apologize...
haha, I haven't used it in about 2 or 3 months.
The heinemann textbook doesn't have the ABC model in it, just checked again.
oh, well I must have learnt that somewhere else then :S
Yer I only know it cos my teacher randomly explained it from the top of her head.. Guessing it's from the old study design or something..
2010 ATAR: 98.35 - Psychology [50] Media Studies [47] 
2011-'13: Bachelor of Biomedicine [Neuroscience Major] at Melbourne Uni 
2014-'17: Doctor of Medicine (MD) at Melbourne Uni 


sillysmile

  • Victorian
  • Forum Leader
  • ****
  • Posts: 644
  • :>
  • Respect: +11
Re: IS THIS RIGHT? I THINK ITS WRONG?
« Reply #59 on: October 31, 2010, 06:06:48 pm »
0
we shud call up Glockmeister :P

he doesn't like answering the Glock-phone. and if you show up at the Glock-cave he's always drunk and angry (inside joke anyone?)
haha true..
2010: Biology 37+   Literature 25+    Physical ed 36+   Psychology 44+
ATAR: 80+ and I will be happy.
2011: Psychological science @LaTrobe (bundoora campus)

"Wrinkles should merely indicate where smiles have been"-- Mark Twain