Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

October 10, 2026, 10:35:01 am

Author Topic: 2010 EXAM THOUGHTS  (Read 80111 times)  Share 

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

jsher098

  • Victorian
  • Trendsetter
  • **
  • Posts: 142
  • Respect: +1
Re: WHAT. A. SHIT. EXAM
« Reply #75 on: November 12, 2010, 06:55:19 pm »
0
If it does turn out to be POLC I'm gonna rage, especially if it's a part of the study design

In terms of the question, it was something along the lines of:

Identify 2 management functions, and apply a strategy to each in order to help overcome the problems that have occursd as a result of decreasing customers...
Nar it will be OPs/HR AND POLC. They'll accept all of them as a "strategy" fits into all of them. It would just be harder to discuss it in terms of POLC, planning would have been alright though.

No... you cannot discuss anything to do with POLC. Management functions (marketing, finance, hr, operations...) will be accepted and nothing else. POLC= management roles... not management functions. And by the way look at the study design, there was a change and this year you had to SPECIFICALLY know about the management functions .
This in included in the study design: 'typical management functions in LSO's including operations, finance, human resources, marketing and research and development'
So they will not accept POLC

Slumdawg

  • Victorian
  • Part of the furniture
  • *****
  • Posts: 1531
  • Respect: +65
Re: WHAT. A. SHIT. EXAM
« Reply #76 on: November 12, 2010, 06:59:04 pm »
0
If it does turn out to be POLC I'm gonna rage, especially if it's a part of the study design

In terms of the question, it was something along the lines of:

Identify 2 management functions, and apply a strategy to each in order to help overcome the problems that have occursd as a result of decreasing customers...
Nar it will be OPs/HR AND POLC. They'll accept all of them as a "strategy" fits into all of them. It would just be harder to discuss it in terms of POLC, planning would have been alright though.

No... you cannot discuss anything to do with POLC. Management functions (marketing, finance, hr, operations...) will be accepted and nothing else. POLC= management roles... not management functions. And by the way look at the study design, there was a change and this year you had to SPECIFICALLY know about the management functions .
This in included in the study design: 'typical management functions in LSO's including operations, finance, human resources, marketing and research and development'
So they will not accept POLC

Well if there was a change in SD then that's understandable. Who knows what they'll accept though. I wouldn't rule anything out just yet.
2010 ATAR: 98.35 - Psychology [50] Media Studies [47] 
2011-'13: Bachelor of Biomedicine [Neuroscience Major] at Melbourne Uni 
2014-'17: Doctor of Medicine (MD) at Melbourne Uni 


jayna

  • Guest
Re: WHAT. A. SHIT. EXAM
« Reply #77 on: November 12, 2010, 07:04:37 pm »
0
If it does turn out to be POLC I'm gonna rage, especially if it's a part of the study design

In terms of the question, it was something along the lines of:

Identify 2 management functions, and apply a strategy to each in order to help overcome the problems that have occursd as a result of decreasing customers...
Nar it will be OPs/HR AND POLC. They'll accept all of them as a "strategy" fits into all of them. It would just be harder to discuss it in terms of POLC, planning would have been alright though.

No... you cannot discuss anything to do with POLC. Management functions (marketing, finance, hr, operations...) will be accepted and nothing else. POLC= management roles... not management functions. And by the way look at the study design, there was a change and this year you had to SPECIFICALLY know about the management functions .
This in included in the study design: 'typical management functions in LSO's including operations, finance, human resources, marketing and research and development'
So they will not accept POLC

+1
Thank god. Theres no way it can be POLC. Study design doesnt even suggest anything about strategies in management ROLES. Only in Functions. I was confused at first but then it came to me.
Can i still get a 49 with 63/65???huh?

_avO

  • Victorian
  • Part of the furniture
  • *****
  • Posts: 1915
  • Respect: +15
Re: WHAT. A. SHIT. EXAM
« Reply #78 on: November 12, 2010, 07:13:01 pm »
0
I think I completely got the structures question wrong, 2 marks off the last one because I only mentioned like 4 pressures so hopefully I can still get the A+ cutoff

poor effort VCAA
2011-2014: Bachelor of Commerce/Economics @ Monash Clayton

jsher098

  • Victorian
  • Trendsetter
  • **
  • Posts: 142
  • Respect: +1
Re: WHAT. A. SHIT. EXAM
« Reply #79 on: November 12, 2010, 07:13:17 pm »
0
If it does turn out to be POLC I'm gonna rage, especially if it's a part of the study design

In terms of the question, it was something along the lines of:

Identify 2 management functions, and apply a strategy to each in order to help overcome the problems that have occursd as a result of decreasing customers...
Nar it will be OPs/HR AND POLC. They'll accept all of them as a "strategy" fits into all of them. It would just be harder to discuss it in terms of POLC, planning would have been alright though.

No... you cannot discuss anything to do with POLC. Management functions (marketing, finance, hr, operations...) will be accepted and nothing else. POLC= management roles... not management functions. And by the way look at the study design, there was a change and this year you had to SPECIFICALLY know about the management functions .
This in included in the study design: 'typical management functions in LSO's including operations, finance, human resources, marketing and research and development'
So they will not accept POLC

+1
Thank god. Theres no way it can be POLC. Study design doesnt even suggest anything about strategies in management ROLES. Only in Functions. I was confused at first but then it came to me.
Can i still get a 49 with 63/65???huh?
Think most would've done awfully on this... management functions question if you discussed POLC you lose all marks and then last question if you focus on kotters you would've lost at least 7/8 marks... so I think 63/65 could just about be a 50.
A+ cut off will probably be 52/65 or something around there...
I think say getting 58-59/65 with a good SAC ranking would get you high 40's

jsher098

  • Victorian
  • Trendsetter
  • **
  • Posts: 142
  • Respect: +1
Re: WHAT. A. SHIT. EXAM
« Reply #80 on: November 12, 2010, 07:15:39 pm »
0
I think I completely got the structures question wrong, 2 marks off the last one because I only mentioned like 4 pressures so hopefully I can still get the A+ cutoff

poor effort VCAA
For the last question it was enough to mention 2 driving and restraining forces specific to the case study but it required a long general opening explaining (generic) driving and restraining forces and how organisations need to ensure driving forces outnumber restraining and then give generic examples of each.... then you would need to introduce the issue and provide specific forces related to the change issue ... so if you left out the generic introduction I think that would cost you 4-5 marks...
5 marks for general for forces
5 marks for relating to case study- this is what teacher told me

_avO

  • Victorian
  • Part of the furniture
  • *****
  • Posts: 1915
  • Respect: +15
Re: WHAT. A. SHIT. EXAM
« Reply #81 on: November 12, 2010, 07:17:04 pm »
0
I still can't believe how much they emphasised on the functions (OM and HR) and the theories.. so many questions. Basically 50% of the course was on the exam instead of 95%+

I think I completely got the structures question wrong, 2 marks off the last one because I only mentioned like 4 pressures so hopefully I can still get the A+ cutoff

poor effort VCAA
For the last question it was enough to mention 2 driving and restraining forces specific to the case study but it required a long general opening explaining (generic) driving and restraining forces and how organisations need to ensure driving forces outnumber restraining and then give generic examples of each.... then you would need to introduce the issue and provide specific forces related to the change issue ... so if you left out the generic introduction I think that would cost you 4-5 marks...
5 marks for general for forces
5 marks for relating to case study- this is what teacher told me
I wrote the intro on change management, privatisation then went on to link the issue with my example (QR national/Queensland government <- wrote most at this part) and mentioned overall 4 forces.
2011-2014: Bachelor of Commerce/Economics @ Monash Clayton

_avO

  • Victorian
  • Part of the furniture
  • *****
  • Posts: 1915
  • Respect: +15
Re: WHAT. A. SHIT. EXAM
« Reply #82 on: November 12, 2010, 07:19:28 pm »
0
and I mentioned 'motivation', 'competitiveness' and 'satisfaction' a heap of times :/
2011-2014: Bachelor of Commerce/Economics @ Monash Clayton

jayna

  • Guest
Re: WHAT. A. SHIT. EXAM
« Reply #83 on: November 12, 2010, 07:21:22 pm »
0
I think I completely got the structures question wrong, 2 marks off the last one because I only mentioned like 4 pressures so hopefully I can still get the A+ cutoff

poor effort VCAA
For the last question it was enough to mention 2 driving and restraining forces specific to the case study but it required a long general opening explaining (generic) driving and restraining forces and how organisations need to ensure driving forces outnumber restraining and then give generic examples of each.... then you would need to introduce the issue and provide specific forces related to the change issue ... so if you left out the generic introduction I think that would cost you 4-5 marks...
5 marks for general for forces
5 marks for relating to case study- this is what teacher told me
This gives me confidence. Didnt mention Kotter in my exam. was worried about that. and yeah was jking about the 63/65 thing. In reality i have no idea what im going to get could be between 49/65 to 65/65. Exam was weird and i guess it depends on every other kid who does BM in the state.

On a side note, Where the hell is Burberry? Mustve destroyed the exam. :)

studying_hard

  • Victorian
  • Forum Obsessive
  • ***
  • Posts: 224
  • Respect: +1
Re: WHAT. A. SHIT. EXAM
« Reply #84 on: November 12, 2010, 07:21:56 pm »
0
what 2 structures did we all use. i used vertical specialisation and matrix structure. would that be correct?

jayna

  • Guest
Re: WHAT. A. SHIT. EXAM
« Reply #85 on: November 12, 2010, 07:23:16 pm »
0
what 2 structures did we all use. i used vertical specialisation and matrix structure. would that be correct?
Depends how you justify it.

accaz

  • Victorian
  • Adventurer
  • *
  • Posts: 16
  • Respect: 0
Re: WHAT. A. SHIT. EXAM
« Reply #86 on: November 12, 2010, 07:23:38 pm »
0
it was okay the only question i'm not sure with is the management style and structure..did every1 say consultative and geographical stucture?

hmm never heard of a consultative structure before. The only ones I've ever learned are vertical, horizontal, functional, divisional/geographical and matrix structure.


consultative isn't right.. as they needed to make a fast decision.. it is an autocratic style that has centralised control, and one- way communication and decision making is alone. It is a situational approach.. as it isnt evident what style they used, but in the circumstances a quick decision needed to be made

_avO

  • Victorian
  • Part of the furniture
  • *****
  • Posts: 1915
  • Respect: +15
Re: WHAT. A. SHIT. EXAM
« Reply #87 on: November 12, 2010, 07:23:50 pm »
0
i said the same as you (vertical spec/bureaucratic) and horizontal(flat/mentioned matrix structure) but shiit forgot to talk about division/exports/expansion

it was okay the only question i'm not sure with is the management style and structure..did every1 say consultative and geographical stucture?

hmm never heard of a consultative structure before. The only ones I've ever learned are vertical, horizontal, functional, divisional/geographical and matrix structure.

consultative isn't right.. as they needed to make a fast decision.. it is an autocratic style that has centralised control, and one- way communication and decision making is alone. It is a situational approach.. as it isnt evident what style they used, but in the circumstances a quick decision needed to be made

What did u guys write to get the 5 marks? I had no idea so I just wrote all the characteristics, positives and negatives :/
« Last Edit: November 12, 2010, 07:26:19 pm by _avO »
2011-2014: Bachelor of Commerce/Economics @ Monash Clayton

studying_hard

  • Victorian
  • Forum Obsessive
  • ***
  • Posts: 224
  • Respect: +1
Re: WHAT. A. SHIT. EXAM
« Reply #88 on: November 12, 2010, 07:24:04 pm »
0
what 2 structures did we all use. i used vertical specialisation and matrix structure. would that be correct?
Depends how you justify it.
of course but they could have been used?

jayna

  • Guest
Re: WHAT. A. SHIT. EXAM
« Reply #89 on: November 12, 2010, 07:25:45 pm »
0
what 2 structures did we all use. i used vertical specialisation and matrix structure. would that be correct?
Depends how you justify it.
of course but they could have been used?
Pretty much any structure could be used. I used Geographic Division one, because the q, mentioned extending operations overseas. And another one. cant remember atm lol/ :uglystupid2: