Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

June 01, 2024, 05:40:03 pm

Author Topic: Accounting Tips  (Read 37357 times)  Share 

LFTM

• Victorian
  • Part of the furniture
  • Respect: +1
Re: Tips for Accounting in 2011
« Reply #15 on: November 16, 2010, 01:16:50 am »
Are other schools still using that book? apparently my schools changing. Isnt there a new study design?

eeps

• Victorian
  • ATAR Notes Superstar
  • Respect: +343
« Reply #16 on: November 16, 2010, 07:40:34 am »
The Accounting study design is changing in 2012 - schools are getting ready for the change I suppose.
« Last Edit: November 16, 2010, 07:46:25 am by EPL.11.4ever. »

eeps

• Victorian
  • ATAR Notes Superstar
« Reply #17 on: November 16, 2010, 05:39:46 pm »
If any future Accounting students wants past exam papers, try these links:

http://vcenotes.com/forum/index.php/topic,32238.0.html

http://vcenotes.com/forum/index.php/topic,29148.0.html

http://vcenotes.com/forum/index.php/topic,29670.0.html

That should be more than enough for people to do when it comes to revising.

Best of Luck! =P

Furbob

• Victorian
  • Part of the furniture
  • diagnosed with poo brain
  • Respect: +184
« Reply #18 on: November 16, 2010, 05:44:40 pm »
wow you guys are pretty helpful :O

do you recommend trying to do the Cambridge book and Neville Box? or will Cambridge alone suffice?
I dont think I will do both but I just want to hear opinions of those who have - worth doing?

hmm I think I will try to do as many Cambridge chapters as I can during the holidays, going to the Accounting section of this forum is making me itch to start unit 3 now :D but I should wait till this exam week is over

okie-dokes, I think I will get my hands on Exambuster this hols
2011 : English | Accounting | MM CAS | Further | Japanese | MUEP Japanese
2012 : BA(Japanese&Chinese)/BComm @ Monash Clayton

eeps

• Victorian
  • ATAR Notes Superstar
« Reply #19 on: November 16, 2010, 05:55:22 pm »
If anything try and get both, you don't necessarily have to do every exercises in both textbooks, but there may be some content in the Cambridge textbook which isn't in the Neville Box textbook and vice versus. In hindsight, I only had the Cambridge textbook and didn't use any other - I would try two different textbooks. If one textbook is unclear on something, in most likelihood the other with have a better explanation.

hmm I think I will try to do as many Cambridge chapters as I can during the holidays, going to the Accounting section of this forum is making me itch to start unit 3 now :D but I should wait till this exam week is over

That's a good idea. By the way, if people want answers/solutions to the Cambridge exercises - it's on VN somewhere - if you can't find it, tell me and I'll post them. =P

eeps

• Victorian
  • ATAR Notes Superstar
« Reply #20 on: November 16, 2010, 07:35:39 pm »
Another tip..

How to study for Accounting SACs:

This was probably the thing that stumped me at first. My first Accounting SAC for Unit 3 was horrible due to the fact that I wasn't sure how to study for it. IMO the best way, is to refer to the exercises in your specified textbook/look over your summary notes/ask your teacher for the previous years SACs regarding the topic(s) being tested.

If your teacher doesn't give/won't you previous years SACs - then most likely, the questions will come from certain bits in previous exam papers (i.e. VCAA and other companies) OR from the Cambridge SACs (which I have already mentioned).

Remember, if you don't get the result you want for your SACs, DON'T STRESS. SACs count for less as a proportion, then the Unit 3 and 4 exams do - the exams count for more ultimately.
« Last Edit: November 16, 2010, 08:28:11 pm by EPL.11.4ever. »

Furbob

• Victorian
  • Part of the furniture
« Reply #21 on: November 16, 2010, 08:49:07 pm »
hmm for 1/2 Outcomes I usually wrote notes out when students were doing exercises since I'd usually try to get the chapter done before, so when the teacher explained it could reinforce what I did before and then a few days before the Outcome
I would type the notes to get a final 'refreshment' of what I wrote before.

It seems to work for me since I've had only A+'s this year, expect on 2 occasions where I got high A's *dies a little in the inside*

not to mention that my class only has 6 students and majority are ESL so I usually end up answering the teacher's questions all the time which makes me feel a bit guilty for "hogging" the their precious study-opportunities :(

PS. It's also motivational to have a good teacher, makes you want to work for the teacher so you gain their trust/they believe in you.
It was probably because I told him that if I didn't get a 40+ for next year, I'd cry and saw off my right leg  :crazy2:
« Last Edit: November 16, 2010, 08:58:31 pm by Furbob »

eeps

• Victorian
  • ATAR Notes Superstar
« Reply #22 on: November 16, 2010, 08:56:08 pm »
In that case, if you are getting A+'s now, you don't need to take my advice. =P

Obviously whatever you're doing now is working, hence you're getting A+'s. Just make sure you maintain your work ethic into next year.

not to mention that my class only has 6 students and majority are ESL so I usually end up answering the teacher's questions all the time which makes me feel a bit guilty for "hogging" the their precious study-opportunities :(

LOL out of the 22 or so students that are/were in my class this year, 17 students are Asian (including myself!). The popularity with Accounting and ESL students is that, it's a subject that requires basic english skills and not much writing (just theory) + it's mainly maths.

Furbob

• Victorian
  • Part of the furniture
« Reply #23 on: November 16, 2010, 09:03:46 pm »
well im half-asian/eurasian, so technically there's no full-whites in our class at all :P
Usually I write to rote-learn answers or the wording in the Cambridge book so I have "templates" in my head to make me sound like I know my stuff when I write + knowledge from Cambridge book

and yes I have the answers for the 3/4 book as well :D

PS. haha, at the start of the year my Accounting teacher asked everyone why they chose Accounting and the ESL students mainly said that "my parents said Accounting = practical subject = good job/career" I kid you not  :o
« Last Edit: November 16, 2010, 09:05:52 pm by Furbob »

eeps

• Victorian
  • ATAR Notes Superstar
« Reply #24 on: November 16, 2010, 09:09:40 pm »
well im half-asian/eurasian, so technically there's no full-whites in our class at all :P
Usually I write to rote-learn answers or the wording in the Cambridge book so I have "templates" in my head to make me sound like I know my stuff when I write + knowledge from Cambridge book

and yes I have the answers for the 3/4 book as well :D

LOL you seem better prepared than I was at this stage last year (going from Year 10 to 11). So far much of my advice that I have given, you seem to already know. =P You'll be the new Accounting guru/whiz-kid next year.
« Last Edit: November 16, 2010, 09:44:27 pm by EPL.11.4ever. »

eeps

• Victorian
  • ATAR Notes Superstar
« Reply #25 on: November 17, 2010, 04:20:45 pm »
Other handy tips...

Revision lectures:

This topic has divided opinions, though personally I found going to lectures were quite useful (going to 1 or 2 should do). It's good to listen to someone other than your own teacher, to consolidate what you already know. The likes of TSSM and TSFX offer lectures right before the actual exam - as well as VU and other various companies. The more expensive ones generally provide notes as well, though you don't need to go to the expensive ones - any lecture with Neville Box (Chief Assessor of Accounting) in it, will be sufficient.

Exams:

When it comes to the practice exams, gradually build up the amount of exams you do prior to the actual day. I tended to leave the VCAA exams till last, since they were the ones most relevant. I wouldn't say there is a set degree of difficulty with exams - each person will find one exam easier than the other and so on. Have days off in-between doing practice exams, the worst thing is to be burnt out before the actual exam. =\

Other/FAQs:

- Accounting generally only scales by 1 or 2 max - more likely 1.

This is due to the fact that Accounting is seen as a relatively straightforward subject and the students who do Accounting are generally "average-good" students, resulting in a scale up of 1.

- The exam(s) has no effect on your SAC grade/mark.

The exam is an individual grade which you receive - hence, it's a separate GA (General Assessment) and has no bearing whatsoever on your SACs. One's SAC grade only changes depending on how well your cohort performs (i.e. people doing Accounting 3/4 in your school). Though the exception being is that, if your exam grades does in fact reflect what you've been getting on SACs, then it's not moderated.

Once again, Best of Luck Accounting students for the forthcoming year! =)

Furbob

• Victorian
  • Part of the furniture
« Reply #26 on: November 17, 2010, 04:56:31 pm »
haha what about the lecture with Andrew Simmons? (author of Cambridge Accounting)
what are those lecture notes like? just a stack of printed pages clipped together with questions and any lecture tips?

you seem so revved to help the students for next year :D

eeps

• Victorian
  • ATAR Notes Superstar
« Reply #27 on: November 17, 2010, 05:07:25 pm »
haha what about the lecture with Andrew Simmons? (author of Cambridge Accounting)
what are those lecture notes like? just a stack of printed pages clipped together with questions and any lecture tips?

I don't know about Andrew Simmons' notes - I know he had a pre-Accounting exam lecture at Monash University before the Unit 4 exam, though I didn't go. I'd assumed his notes would be good, considering how good the Cambridge textbook is.

As to your other point, I just try to help out and give back to VN - seeing as all the other subjects have "Tips for ____" and extensive sticky threads, I thought I'd help the Accounting students - having done it this year. Looking at the Chemistry and English boards and so on, they are much more detailed than the Accounting board, hence I thought I'd add to this board. Also, Accounting was my main focus for this year, hence, I thought I'd share my tips - which may be of use to students.

P.S. If anyone still wants to buy my Accounting books, no one has offered as of yet. =P

eeps

• Victorian
  • ATAR Notes Superstar
« Reply #28 on: November 17, 2010, 09:30:17 pm »
Since some people are requesting it... here are some of my notes, I made at the beginning of this year. They are pretty noob, I thought - though anyone feel free to use it! =P

I'll post them up gradually.
« Last Edit: November 17, 2010, 09:32:12 pm by EPL.11.4ever. »

davyp3

• Victorian
  • Forum Obsessive
  • Respect: +1
« Reply #29 on: November 17, 2010, 09:38:01 pm »

From what i've heard and read, Anthony Simmons is one of the best lecturers available. I would definately recommened seeing Neville Box for free at VU which is essentially the same as every other lecture he does.

Neville Box and Anthony Simmons are the ones to go to