Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

June 10, 2024, 06:37:27 pm

Author Topic: A few queries  (Read 844 times)  Share 

darren94

A few queries
« on: December 11, 2010, 11:37:51 pm »
I have two main questions for University, even though I'm only going into Year 12 next year :)
1) Can I become a Psychologist through a Bachelor of Arts ; In Melbourne University? What job possibilities / Career pathways are opened through a bachelor of arts at Melbourne?
2) I'm pretty easygoing, and I've ALWAYS wondered, is it easy to make friends at University on a general level (Are people accepting)?

Thanks!

Russ

• Honorary Moderator
  • Great Wonder of ATAR Notes
  • Respect: +661
Re: A few queries
« Reply #1 on: December 12, 2010, 08:46:02 am »
You need further study but a BA is an introductory pathway with the right major. In terms of other career options...erm...teaching sound good?

People will be nice to you, yes.

QuantumJG

• Victorian
  • Part of the furniture
  • Applied Mathematics Student at UoM
  • Respect: +82
« Reply #2 on: December 12, 2010, 09:28:48 am »
I have two main questions for University, even though I'm only going into Year 12 next year :)
1) Can I become a Psychologist through a Bachelor of Arts ; In Melbourne University? What job possibilities / Career pathways are opened through a bachelor of arts at Melbourne?
2) I'm pretty easygoing, and I've ALWAYS wondered, is it easy to make friends at University on a general level (Are people accepting)?

Thanks!

You can do psychology through bachelor of arts, as for becoming a psychologist you need to do some graduate degree. For me a BSc in mathematical physics is only the start of becoming a physicist.

I found it much more easier to find friends at uni than at high school.
2008: Finished VCE

2009 - 2011: Bachelor of Science (Mathematical Physics)

2012 - 2014: Master of Science (Applied Mathematics/Mathematical Physics)

2016 - 2018: Master of Engineering (Civil)

Semester 1:[/b] Engineering Mechanics, Fluid Mechanics, Engineering Risk Analysis, Sustainable Infrastructure Engineering

Semester 2:[/b] Earth Processes for Engineering, Engineering Materials, Structural Theory and Design, Systems Modelling and Design

zomgSEAN

• Victorian
  • Forum Obsessive
  • goon <3
  • Respect: +1
« Reply #3 on: December 12, 2010, 12:13:26 pm »

Thanks!

I plan on doing BA next year :)

The answer is yes; it is a suitable pathway for becoming a qualified psychologist.

The first step, is to undertake the APAC-accredited Psychology major offered within an Arts degree at UoM. (3 years)

Then, you must complete a fourth year of honors in Psychology. To be accepted into this program/course you must have a pretty high GPA, to my knowledge. (1 year)

OR

Alternatively, you can complete a post-graduate diploma of psychology, instead of honors. (1 year)

After this fourth year of psychology, you then must enter into a post-graduate psychology degree - Masters or PhD. (2 years)

Then, you meet the requirements for registration as a psychologist in Australia.
arts arts arts arts arts arts arts
Psychology Major at UoM - Resident of St. Hilda's College
Awarded PhD(Honours) in Beer on 23/2/11
objective immorality does not exist