Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

June 05, 2024, 06:25:31 pm

Author Topic: VCE Legal Studies Question Thread  (Read 611134 times)  Share 

werdna

• Victorian
  • ATAR Notes Superstar
  • Respect: +287
Re: VCE Legal Studies Question Thread
« Reply #315 on: February 05, 2011, 04:42:42 pm »
So you're saying that the question is asking whether executive power = ability to make decisions about which laws get passed?

If so, that's pretty strange.. executive power hasn't been covered in the section before the question.

werdna

• Victorian
  • ATAR Notes Superstar
« Reply #316 on: February 05, 2011, 04:52:08 pm »
Hmm and also strange that the answer may be 'no' because generally speaking, executive power is the power that the Queen/her representatives have in administering and policing the law.. which I guess would also mean having the ability to make decisions about which laws get passed and which don't?

burbs

• Victorian
  • Part of the furniture
  • Fuck da police - Aristotle
  • Respect: +227
« Reply #317 on: February 05, 2011, 06:26:44 pm »
Its probably asking to you respond about responsible govt. etc. GG is just a figurehead most of the time, just there for royal assent.

eeps

• Victorian
  • ATAR Notes Superstar
  • Respect: +343
« Reply #318 on: February 05, 2011, 09:16:20 pm »
The term 'executive' or 'executive government' refers to the group of people who administer, carry out and enforce (execute) the laws made by parliament. The Constitution confers executive power on the Governor-General, representing the Queen, and on ministers appointed by the Governor-General. The ministers, their leader being the Prime Minister, form the Executive Council, a body that meets with the Governor-General and gives advice on the exercise of executive power. Hope that helps.

werdna

• Victorian
  • ATAR Notes Superstar
« Reply #319 on: February 05, 2011, 09:48:01 pm »
The term 'executive' or 'executive government' refers to the group of people who administer, carry out and enforce (execute) the laws made by parliament. The Constitution confers executive power on the Governor-General, representing the Queen, and on ministers appointed by the Governor-General. The ministers, their leader being the Prime Minister, form the Executive Council, a body that meets with the Governor-General and gives advice on the exercise of executive power. Hope that helps.

Yeah, I know that... ;) But the question:

In the Constitution, the executive power is vested in the Queen. Does this mean that the Queen makes decisions about what laws should be passed? Explain.

Came up at the start of the chapter. That is, executive power was not discussed in the section the questions were testing our knowledge on. But I think the wording of the question was a bit unclear. I think it's asking whether the definition of 'executive power' is the Queen's ability to make decisions about what laws should be passed.

ech_93

• Victorian
  • Forum Obsessive
  • Respect: +6
« Reply #320 on: February 05, 2011, 10:45:56 pm »
I find that question really odd. The statement and the actual question don't seem right together! :/
To me, they are talking about different concepts, its a strange question. Especially because you said that the book hasn't discussed executive power yet...
ATAR aim: 90+
2012- ???

werdna

• Victorian
  • ATAR Notes Superstar
« Reply #321 on: February 05, 2011, 10:48:52 pm »
I find that question really odd. The statement and the actual question don't seem right together! :/
To me, they are talking about different concepts, its a strange question. Especially because you said that the book hasn't discussed executive power yet...

Yeah.. exactly. ;D I've already skipped the question, so thanks for all your help everyone!

Zafaraaaa

• Victorian
  • Forum Obsessive
  • Respect: +7
  • School Grad Year: 2011
« Reply #322 on: February 07, 2011, 01:13:54 am »
Help pleaseee :)

"Explain how the role and structure of the Senate provides for responsible Government" [4 marks]

"The Australian Parliamentary system consists of a number of checks and balances. The most important of these is the separation of powers." Do you agree? Justify your decision. [8 marks] (btw, can someone please tell me how to go about with these higher mark questions?)

thank you so much in advance :D
"Be kind, for everyone you meet is fighting a hard battle" -Plato

eeps

• Victorian
  • ATAR Notes Superstar
  • Respect: +343
« Reply #323 on: February 07, 2011, 06:28:52 pm »
As for your second question, read this. The first 3 posts on that page relate to your question; I asked that exact same question a while ago! chrisjb helped me out there. It's not a complete answer, just a way of tackling the question.

Help pleaseee :)

"Explain how the role and structure of the Senate provides for responsible Government" [4 marks]

I would say something along the lines of; the Senate provides for a Responsible government, as its' main role is to review legislation to improve Bills with amendments or to defeat unwise legislation. In this way, it ensures that any bill passed by the government (Government bill)/House of Representatives is appropriate/responsible. The structure of the Senate also provides for a Responsible government as it represents the interest of the states - equal representation; 12 from each state, and 2 from each territory. If citizens are not satisfied with the role of some senators, they won't be re-elected.

It's by no means the greatest answer, just my shot at answering the question. It's a different question. I'm not really sure how to relate the structure of the Senate to Responsible government though. =[ Someone else can probably give a better answer than me.

werdna

• Victorian
  • ATAR Notes Superstar
« Reply #324 on: February 07, 2011, 07:39:36 pm »
You've sort of touched on it EPL. The Senate's primary role is to review, amend or reject legislative bills that have been passed by the lower house. In this way, senators are able to draw out any inconsistencies or discrepancies and bring these matters to the forefront of the public's minds. Thus, the Senate ensures that members of parliament/HOR are responsible and accountable for their own actions and the decisions of their government department. The Senate has equal representation, as EPL said, and so each state and territory is held accountable and answerable to the community for their actions.

This line:

The structure of the Senate also provides for a Responsible government as it represents the interest of the states - equal representation; 12 from each state, and 2 from each territory.

Doesn't really relate to responsible government.. it is more so representative government you're talking about.

Zafaraaaa

• Victorian
  • Forum Obsessive
« Reply #325 on: February 07, 2011, 07:50:20 pm »
Ohhh thanks guys! :D

schnappy

• Victorian
  • Forum Leader
« Reply #326 on: February 07, 2011, 08:01:02 pm »
It also acts as a tool for political parties to riggle their way into power *cough*greens*cough*.

Zafaraaaa

• Victorian
  • Forum Obsessive
« Reply #327 on: February 08, 2011, 08:42:01 pm »
Please help :):)

The Victorian Law Reform commission recommended that abortion should be removed as an offence under the 'Crimes Act 1958' when performed by a qualified medical practitioner. Describe the process that would be used by parliament to change the law.

[Is that the whole reviewing and debating of the legislation to bring about a change in it? I'm confused :/]

btw, thanks!

flash36

« Reply #328 on: February 08, 2011, 09:17:47 pm »
I assume they're asking for you to outline the legislative process with regard to the passing of an Amending Act. Odd question though.

Zafaraaaa

• Victorian
  • Forum Obsessive
« Reply #329 on: February 08, 2011, 09:52:09 pm »
LOL tell me about it :/ But thanks anyway :)