Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

June 16, 2024, 06:17:00 pm

Author Topic: VCE Accounting Question Thread!  (Read 383459 times)  Share 

abcdqdxD

• Part of the furniture
  • Respect: +57
Re: VCE Accounting Question Thread!
« Reply #615 on: April 07, 2013, 06:04:20 pm »
Had my answer all written out then abc steals it lol.

Sorry!

Sach1_K

« Reply #616 on: April 07, 2013, 06:11:38 pm »

itsdanny

• Victorian
  • Trendsetter
  • Respect: 0
« Reply #617 on: April 12, 2013, 08:38:29 pm »
Hi everyone,

Can I ask why you cannot say that a discount expense is an expense that is in the form of a decrease in Bank? Why is it a decrease in Debtors Control? i.e. when we receive less money from our debtors (due to the discount), aren't we receiving less cash and thus Bank should decrease? What's the concept behind understanding why this cannot be the case and that the correct answer is Debtors Control.

It’s just a little perplexing to understand because when a receipt from a debtor (who has been entitled to a discount for early payment) is recorded in the CRJ, the Debtors Control column amount stays the same (because you have to clear the total amount), but it is the Bank column amount that decreases (as less cash is received by the business). Any comments on this to further expand my insight onto this would be greatly appreciated, thanks.

abcdqdxD

• Part of the furniture
« Reply #618 on: April 12, 2013, 09:19:02 pm »
+1
Hi everyone,

Can I ask why you cannot say that a discount expense is an expense that is in the form of a decrease in Bank? Why is it a decrease in Debtors Control? i.e. when we receive less money from our debtors (due to the discount), aren't we receiving less cash and thus Bank should decrease? What's the concept behind understanding why this cannot be the case and that the correct answer is Debtors Control.

It’s just a little perplexing to understand because when a receipt from a debtor (who has been entitled to a discount for early payment) is recorded in the CRJ, the Debtors Control column amount stays the same (because you have to clear the total amount), but it is the Bank column amount that decreases (as less cash is received by the business). Any comments on this to further expand my insight onto this would be greatly appreciated, thanks.

Bank may be affected in the long term, but discount expense has no IMMEDIATE impact on bank, but it does have an immediate impact on debtors control (your debtors owe you less). But yes, I fully understand where you are coming from :P

itsdanny

• Victorian
  • Trendsetter
« Reply #619 on: April 12, 2013, 10:59:24 pm »
Bank may be affected in the long term, but discount expense has no IMMEDIATE impact on bank, but it does have an immediate impact on debtors control (your debtors owe you less). But yes, I fully understand where you are coming from :P

Excellent. Thank you abcdqdxD  :)

Also, may I ask what would be the best way to explain why GST does not affect the valuation of a stock (whether it may be a purchase or a sale)? I've seen a few explanations for this and they seem quite distinct, what would be the best approach on answering this?

abcdqdxD

• Part of the furniture
« Reply #620 on: April 13, 2013, 11:45:00 am »
GST is not a future economic benefit to the entity

think about it this way:

value of stock control - represents future economic benefit expected from selling the stock within 12 months etc.etc.

however, the GST figure does not represent a future economic benefit to the firm hence must not be included in the valuation of stock

unfamila

• Victorian
  • Trendsetter
  • Lad
  • Respect: +1
  • School Grad Year: 2013
« Reply #621 on: April 20, 2013, 09:11:29 pm »
Any tips for balance day adjustments?
They're so confusing :o

abcdqdxD

• Part of the furniture
« Reply #622 on: April 20, 2013, 09:46:56 pm »
Any tips for balance day adjustments?
They're so confusing :o

use your fingers to count months :P

and I guess just do heaps of them (it's kind of like maths)

Which part are you struggling with the most?

jono88

• Victorian
  • Trendsetter
« Reply #623 on: April 20, 2013, 10:18:05 pm »
Draw a timeline of what is occurring. Trust me it helps :)

unfamila

• Victorian
  • Trendsetter
  • Lad
  • Respect: +1
« Reply #624 on: April 20, 2013, 10:20:08 pm »
the question i had trouble with  went over 2 years and they changed how many months they paid in advance the the price of rent went up throughout . And a timeline may help, but I may be pushed for time.

abcdqdxD

• Part of the furniture
« Reply #625 on: April 21, 2013, 03:18:22 pm »
Draw a timeline of what is occurring. Trust me it helps :)

Drawing a timeline was confusing for me :P

I guess I did do a mini timeline (not super detailed).. just need to find what works for you as everyone is different

flyhighx

• Victorian
  • Trailblazer
« Reply #626 on: April 25, 2013, 10:53:26 pm »
Hi,
Can someone  please explain to me in full detail of "why do we produce a Adjusted Gross Profit as well as a Gross Profit Number?"
Thanks

abcdqdxD

• Part of the furniture
« Reply #627 on: April 25, 2013, 11:32:23 pm »
+1
adjusted gross profit helps identify the firm's performance in its management of its stock, e.g. a high amount of stock losses (and therefore a low adj GP figure compared to GP) suggests the firm needs to improve its management of stock. if stock is broken, do we need better trained staff? if we are oversupplying stock to customers, do we need managers to be more vigilant? are we miscounting our stocktakes? etc. etc.

flyhighx

• Victorian
  • Trailblazer
« Reply #628 on: May 02, 2013, 08:58:56 pm »
Can someone please complete this question?
During the year ended 30 June 2012 ,Black's electronics paid $32,300 in wages . At 30 June 2012, $600 were still owing (memo 19). The balance sheet at 30 June 2011 showed accrued wages of $450. The next date for payment of wages is 7 July 2012 when $2000 will be paid to employees (chq 721)
1. calculate wages expense for year ended 30 June 2012

Sach1_K

« Reply #629 on: May 02, 2013, 09:15:10 pm »
Can someone please complete this question?
During the year ended 30 June 2012 ,Black's electronics paid $32,300 in wages . At 30 June 2012, $600 were still owing (memo 19). The balance sheet at 30 June 2011 showed accrued wages of $450. The next date for payment of wages is 7 July 2012 when $2000 will be paid to employees (chq 721)
1. calculate wages expense for year ended 30 June 2012
Assuming when it says 32,300 in wages it means wages in general including accrued. So shouldn't it be 32,300 - 450(previous periods accrued wages) and + 600(wages incurred not paid)? So altogether 32,450. This is just the way I interpreted the question I could be (probably) wrong.
And if wages meant just wages expense it would be just 32,300+600.