Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

June 16, 2024, 04:30:08 pm

Author Topic: 3 l inearquestions and need some advice please!  (Read 4328 times)  Share 

hello_kitty

• Victorian
  • Forum Obsessive
  • Respect: 0
3 l inearquestions and need some advice please!
« on: February 20, 2011, 05:16:00 pm »
For a question like:   y – 6 = -1/4(x+5)
Is it better to multiply the 4 onto the L.H.S OR expand the brackets??

Silly question, but, Why do we solve simultaneous equations?
Is it to solve the point of intersection, when the equation is true/same?

Questions
1) A shopkeeper sold his entire stock of shirts and ties in a sale for $10 000. The shirts were priced at 3 for $100 and the ties $20 each. If he had sold only half the shirts and two thirds of the ties he would have received $6000. How many of each did he sell in the sale? State variables.

Answer120 shirts, 300 ties

Anne and Maureen live in towns that are 57km apart. Anne sets out at 9am one day to ride her bike to Maureen’s town at a constant speed of 20km/h. At the same time Maureen sets out to ride to Anne’s town at a constant speed of 18km/h.
a)   Write down a rule for the distance (d km), that h of them is from Anne’s place at a time t minutes after 9am

Given that the lines 4x -3y =10 and 4x –ly =m are perpendicular and intersect at the point (4,2). Find values of l and m.

Answer: L = -16/3  m = 80/3

Using Substitution in Factorising
X^4 +5x^2 + 6

Answer(x^2 + 3) (x^2 + 2)

Water

• Victorian
  • Part of the furniture
  • Respect: +116
Re: 3 l inearquestions and need some advice please!
« Reply #1 on: February 20, 2011, 05:28:18 pm »
a) Multiply by -4 on both sides. Easier, common sense

Questions
1) A shopkeeper sold his entire stock of shirts and ties in a sale for $10 000. The shirts were priced at 3 for $100 and the ties $20 each. If he had sold only half the shirts and two thirds of the ties he would have received $6000. How many of each did he sell in the sale? State variables.

100  x 1/3x    + 20  x  y   = 10,000

(1/2) 100 x 1/3x   + (2/3) 20 x y = 6000

2) I don't get the question

3) Find such that gradients of both equations, when multiplied against one another is -1...

So, first you have to manipulate your equations to find the gradient of your first one.

Then find the number coefficient of y in your second equation, such that it can create your second gradient, when multiplied by the 1st to be -1.  You can find your m, through the intersection point afterwards

4) Let y = x^2

Therefore,

your equation can be shifted to turn into y^2 + 5y + 6. After that, normal quadratics, then replace it with x^2=y again.

This will constitute, your answer
« Last Edit: February 20, 2011, 05:43:47 pm by Water »
About Philosophy

When I see a youth thus engaged,—the study appears to me to be in character, and becoming a man of liberal education, and him who neglects philosophy I regard as an inferior man, who will never aspire to anything great or noble. But if I see him continuing the study in later life, and not leaving off, I should like to beat him - Callicle