Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

June 17, 2024, 01:36:35 pm

Author Topic: VN Debates  (Read 2660 times)  Share 

chrisjb

• Victorian
  • Part of the furniture
  • ROAR
  • Respect: +64
VN Debates
« on: March 06, 2011, 10:33:51 pm »
I know all the mods will probably be against this idea... But can we let the petty little fights that go on in the threads continue for a little while longer without locking the thread? IMO they're the most entertaining thing on the site and no one goes on Watercooler anymore so the only arguments that take place are in the other threads. And everyone on VN is grown up enough to not get personaly hurt by the petty bickering that goes on.

Also, what ever happened to religion board?
2011: 96.35
2012: http://www.thegapyear2012.com/
2013: Arts (Global) Monash
2016: Juris Doctor (somewhere)

enwiabe

• Putin
  • ATAR Notes Legend
  • Respect: +529
Re: VN Debates
« Reply #1 on: March 06, 2011, 11:27:12 pm »
And everyone on VN is grown up enough to not get personaly hurt by the petty bickering that goes on.

... ^ That, up there, is why they're immediately locked. They're not debates, they're schoolyard squabbles that usually involve one member getting bullied by a mob. I haven't seen a -real- debate on this site for a while.

Fyrefly

• ★☆★ 一期一会 ★☆★
  • Honorary Moderator
  • ATAR Notes Legend
  • Respect: +307
« Reply #2 on: March 07, 2011, 01:10:04 am »

AN is not a medium for petty bickering...
|| BComm + DipLang (Jap) @ Monash ||

Gloamglozer

• The Walking VTAC Guide
  • Honorary Moderator
  • ATAR Notes Legend
  • Here to listen and help
  • Respect: +324
« Reply #3 on: March 07, 2011, 01:32:50 am »
And everyone on VN is grown up enough to not get personaly hurt by the petty bickering that goes on.

... ^ That, up there, is why they're immediately locked. They're not debates, they're schoolyard squabbles that usually involve one member getting bullied by a mob. I haven't seen a -real- debate on this site for a while.

Seconded and also seconded this:

AN is not a medium for petty bickering...

Whenever a "debate" occurs, not to stereotype or be pessimistic about it, but people's Internet penises usually get in the way.

Bachelor of Science (Mathematics & Statistics) - Discrete Mathematics & Operations Research

chrisjb

• Victorian
  • Part of the furniture
  • ROAR
  • Respect: +64
« Reply #4 on: March 07, 2011, 04:29:14 pm »
You guys are probably right. In hindsight it's not a very constructive/helpfull suggestion. But it would be good if more people posted on News/Politics and OGD again. They were realy interesting and fun boards last year but they've become a bit dull in the past few months.
2011: 96.35
2012: http://www.thegapyear2012.com/
2013: Arts (Global) Monash
2016: Juris Doctor (somewhere)

enwiabe

• Putin
  • ATAR Notes Legend
  • Respect: +529
« Reply #5 on: March 07, 2011, 04:58:16 pm »
You guys are probably right. In hindsight it's not a very constructive/helpfull suggestion. But it would be good if more people posted on News/Politics and OGD again. They were realy interesting and fun boards last year but they've become a bit dull in the past few months.

I hear your concern and I think the main problem is that new posts from water cooler are not appearing in the feed down the bottom which people have become accustomed to checking. Getting that functionality for national forum posts is a priority but not a high one. It will be done at some point, don't you worry :)

ninwa

• Great Wonder of ATAR Notes
  • Respect: +1021
« Reply #6 on: March 09, 2011, 10:22:10 am »
Meanwhile, if you really want to participate in actual debates, try http://debatewise.org/
« Last Edit: March 09, 2011, 10:38:00 am by ninwa »
ExamPro enquiries to [email protected]

Predator

• Victorian
  • Forum Obsessive
  • Respect: +4
« Reply #7 on: March 09, 2011, 11:21:52 am »
The thing is as said above "The Water Cooler" sub forum is not as active as it once was.
It is only an extra click away but some seem to now disregard this since it is part of the National Forum not just the VN one as it once was.
Come on fellow members and get it back up to the activity that it used to see.
ATAR 2010: 84.70

Physical Education: 40
Further Maths: 38
Economics: 36
Design & Technology: 35
English: 34
Visual Communication and Design: 34

ninwa

• Great Wonder of ATAR Notes
  • Respect: +1021
« Reply #8 on: March 09, 2011, 01:21:33 pm »
I've put up some articles and stuff which might hopefully inspire some discussion... have fun
ExamPro enquiries to [email protected]

MuggedByReality

• Victorian
  • Forum Leader
  • Respect: +5
« Reply #9 on: April 17, 2011, 11:10:16 pm »

It's not a water cooler, it's a ghost town :P
"People living deeply have no fear of death"
                                      -Anais Nin

"In the 2nd grade, they asked us what we wanted to be. I said I wanted to be a ballplayer and they laughed. In the 8th grade they asked the same question and I said a ballplayer again and they laughed a little more. By the 11th grade no one was laughing."
  -Johnny Bench, Hall of Fame baseball player