Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

June 16, 2024, 11:53:34 pm

Author Topic: This year = hardest exam?  (Read 41763 times)  Share 

nemolala

• Victorian
  • Forum Leader
Re: This year = hardest exam?
« Reply #285 on: June 20, 2011, 05:28:03 pm »
well very curious for marks now

HCbigstick

• Victorian
  • Trailblazer
« Reply #286 on: June 22, 2011, 10:59:03 am »
Hey guys,
Just got told by my teacher that the whole teaching cohort as my school (Haileybury) now think that the answer for the last multi-choice question was infact D and not B!!! They said that it is mostly due to the fact that the textbook that we use (Oxford Psychology) clearly says that the answer is D and that due to our textbook being written by head assesor, the D will be the answer....wow now tell me if anyone got that one right?

Slumdawg

• Victorian
  • Part of the furniture
« Reply #287 on: June 22, 2011, 11:33:25 am »
Hey guys,
Just got told by my teacher that the whole teaching cohort as my school (Haileybury) now think that the answer for the last multi-choice question was infact D and not B!!! They said that it is mostly due to the fact that the textbook that we use (Oxford Psychology) clearly says that the answer is D and that due to our textbook being written by head assesor, the D will be the answer....wow now tell me if anyone got that one right?
The chief assessor has absolutely nothing to do with MC answers. He has no say in what they accept there. He's only in charge of written responses. I personally couldn't see them allowing option D because most of the state uses the Grivas textbook which never really mentions correlations in relation to internal consistency.
2010 ATAR: 98.35 - Psychology [50] Media Studies [47
2011-'13: Bachelor of Biomedicine [Neuroscience Major] at Melbourne Uni 
2014-'17: Doctor of Medicine (MD) at Melbourne Uni 

sam23z

• Victorian
  • Trailblazer
« Reply #288 on: June 25, 2011, 08:55:27 am »
I put D and I use the Grivas Textbook, there was a discussion in thread at page 11 onwards

Slumdawg

• Victorian
  • Part of the furniture
« Reply #289 on: June 25, 2011, 10:18:29 am »
I put D and I use the Grivas Textbook, there was a discussion in thread at page 11 onwards
Can you give a page reference in grivas then to where correlations are mentioned in regards to internal consistency?

Wiki is also known to be highly unreliable in regards to VCE psych. Countless times the answers on Wiki are never correct up to VCAA's standards.

sam23z

• Victorian
  • Trailblazer
« Reply #290 on: June 25, 2011, 07:31:35 pm »
Perhaps this was one of those questions were you actually had to think?

Prepare for a super post

This is what Grivas says on the matter
Internal consistency refers to the
interrelatedness of items (or questions) in a
psychological test in measuring the same ability
or trait. A measure of internal consistency indicates
how well the items relate to other items in the
test and to the overall total score on the test.
A high score on a measure of internal consistency
means that the test items all relate to (or assess)
the same psychological characteristic. This would
indicate that the test has high internal consistency
reliability.

Okay, I admit the exact word "correlate" wasn't used, but that word isn't some fancy scientific term- we know what it means- now note the bold part

Now I know people want to call me out for quoting wiki, fine, here's pretty much every other site

Internal consistency is the extent to which tests or procedures assess the same characteristic, skill or quality. It is a measure of the precision between the observers or of the measuring instruments used in a study.
[i]writing@CSU[/i]
In which case the "instruments" are the questions

In internal consistency reliability estimation we use our single measurement instrument administered to a group of people on one occasion to estimate reliability. In effect we judge the reliability of the instrument by estimating how well the items that reflect the same construct yield similar results. We are looking at how consistent the results are for different items for the same construct within the measure.
[i]socialresearchmethods.net[/i]

In reality, answers to different questions vary for each particular respondent, although the items are intended to measure the same aspect or quantity. The smaller this variability (or stronger the correlation), the greater the internal consistency reliability of this survey instrument.
[i]statistics.com[/i]

To be honest though, wiki does indeed provide the best definition
internal consistency is typically a measure based on the correlations between different items on the same test (or the same subscale on a larger test).

Now let's look at the question again, C is obviously wrong, we can cross that out
A. Each item measures what it's suppose to measure
Grivas textbook, p75,
Validity means that the research study has
produced results that accurately measure the
behaviour or event that it claims to have measured.
A is obviously validity, and since you're strictly following the Grivas textbook, which puts internal consistency under reliability- which is not validity, A cannot be correct- even though that's what connect's solutions put...
we now have B and D left, B is describing general reliability, and is KIND OF the answer, for example

Images are mainly processed in
A) Occipital lobe
B) Primary visual cortex
Both are correct, but one is more accurate than the other, which i believe reading on exam instructions "choose the answer that best answers the question"

Now I'd just like to quote one more person just to reiterate
Hey guys,
Also halfway through this thread somewhere the fellow named snake had strong reason to believe B was incorrect, claiming it as "face validity" and the support for B isn't really that strong, so I guess that leaves D...
« Last Edit: June 25, 2011, 08:52:02 pm by sam23z »

REBORN

• Victorian
  • Part of the furniture
« Reply #291 on: June 25, 2011, 07:35:21 pm »
I admire your dedication - I still stick with A but we'll find out soon.

Also it's clearly A) Occipital lobe as images aren't processed in B) the primary AUDITORY cortex? :P

Images are mainly processed in
A) Occipital lobe
B) Primary auditory cortex
Doctor of Medicine

sam23z

• Victorian
  • Trailblazer
« Reply #292 on: June 25, 2011, 08:52:40 pm »
hah typo- my bad :-[- thanks for picking on that
fixed

Slumdawg

• Victorian
  • Part of the furniture
« Reply #293 on: June 25, 2011, 11:55:35 pm »
Okay that was a super post :P I appreciate your efforts, it'll be interesting to see what VCAA does now.

And lol that you should refer to connect's solutions. I was the one who wrote them ;)

I've spoken to a few teachers who all think it's A too. But I guess we'll just have to wait and see, no point debating it any further.

I just googled internal consistency and here are a few other statements from multiple websites which support option A:

"Internal consistency is the extent to which tests or procedures assess the same characteristic, skill or quality"

"The internal consistency reliability of survey instruments (e.g. psychological tests), is a measure of reliability of different survey items intended to measure the same characteristic."

Basically, information out there is very contradictory. So it's hard to prove anything with random quotes from websites.

Just focus on unit 4 now, no point in you guys dwelling over 1 mark out of 91. In the scheme of things it doesn't mean that much. You could probably earn that mark back by studying unit 4 content now instead of going over a very debatable question.
« Last Edit: June 25, 2011, 11:57:26 pm by Slumdawg »

YenEe94

• Victorian
  • Adventurer
« Reply #294 on: July 03, 2011, 09:42:10 am »
^ My teacher put A too

playsimme

« Reply #295 on: July 24, 2011, 01:03:16 am »
If anyone cares about the exam anymore, my teacher who helped mark exams and said both were retroactive; also the 15 marker was marked without a criteria sheet.. they were told to 'use their initiative'... it'll be interesting to see what I got! Hopefully the cuttoff will be low as she said she gave out many low marks and only one 14

REBORN

• Victorian
  • Part of the furniture
« Reply #296 on: July 24, 2011, 08:10:23 am »
My teacher said he would have given an essay a 12 and it was given a 15....

Seems like it's been marked easy. That's bad. That means a higher cut off = MCQ mistakes become worth more if ppl smash SA/essay.
Doctor of Medicine

playsimme

« Reply #297 on: July 24, 2011, 01:14:13 pm »
Do you mean your teacher disputed a full mark that was dished out? If so, yeah it's waaaaaaay too subjective, which I think is seriously unfair because if one is blessed with a crap marker, it would reflect in a shit mark.

REBORN

• Victorian
  • Part of the furniture
« Reply #298 on: July 24, 2011, 01:19:12 pm »
No....

I meant that the essay was given 15 and assessors were told that that was 15 material but PERSONALLY my teacher said it was 12-ish.
Doctor of Medicine

nemolala

• Victorian
  • Forum Leader
« Reply #299 on: July 24, 2011, 05:30:11 pm »
^^ lol meaning?