Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

June 17, 2024, 04:50:43 am

Author Topic: Psych U4 Q's Thread!  (Read 34097 times)  Share 

jwongton

• Victorian
  • Adventurer
  • Respect: 0
  • School Grad Year: 2012
Re: Psych U4 Q's Thread!
« Reply #225 on: November 05, 2011, 12:34:29 am »
i heard that he actually isn't the chief assessor anymore...

playsimme

« Reply #226 on: November 05, 2011, 12:36:22 am »
Ha, well i guess we all have our rants.

Btw, any predictions/guesses on the Extended Response last year?
(Not that its that possible given last years..)
?? Last year? I hope it's biopsychosocial something, it'd give alot to ramble about lol

Hopefully it isn't too specific in the deep wording of the study design aka half a dot point ala midyear exam D:

mjwalka

• Victorian
  • Forum Regular
  • Respect: +4
  • School: McKinnon Secondary College
« Reply #227 on: November 05, 2011, 12:56:05 am »
Ha, well i guess we all have our rants.

Btw, any predictions/guesses on the Extended Response last year?
(Not that its that possible given last years..)
?? Last year? I hope it's biopsychosocial something, it'd give alot to ramble about lol

Hopefully it isn't too specific in the deep wording of the study design aka half a dot point ala midyear exam D:

Well I can guarantee it won't be related to your specific mental illness. Also I doubt it will be on phobias as it was on the practice questions exam. My bet is it's got something to do with defining mental illness or some sort of research method based on a type of learning, that's probs what I'll work on a bit this weekend.
2010 - Geography [42]
2011 - English (30+), Maths Methods CAS (35+), Psychology (45+), Physical Education (45+), Biology (35+)
AIM - 90.00+
2012 - Monash Physio (Hopefully)

CaptainAwesome

• Victorian
  • Trendsetter
  • Respect: +5
« Reply #228 on: November 05, 2011, 03:20:44 am »
From the VCAA practice questions:

Question 27
a. Describe one problem-focused coping strategy Bronwyn could use to reduce her stress.
1 mark
b. Describe one emotion-focused coping strategy Bronwyn could use to reduce her stress.
1 mark

What is it? What does it relate to? I can't find it in my textbook anywhere.

NEAP:

Question 14
In classical conditioning the stimulus always _______________ the response; for operant conditioning the
response always _______________ the stimulus.
A. occurs after; occurs after
B. precedes; precedes
C. precedes; occurs after
D. occurs after; precedes

SOLUTION: Question 14 C
For classical conditioning, the stimulus always precedes the response, whereas the response precedes the
stimulus for operant conditioning.

Firstly, WTF, and secondly, I keep hearing/seeing opposing views about this.
In operant conditioning, what is the stimulus and what is the response? I would've thought that discriminative stimulus = stimulus and response = behaviour
I asked my sister (Psychology student at uni) why the response would proceed the stimulus (as other places have suggested, I forget where), and she I think she suggested that maybe the response = behaviour and stimulus = reinforcement, which I believe I recall my teacher telling another kid in my class. And now NEAP has provided a WTF answer... according to the solution... shouldn't it be B?

Question 29
What is the major difference between the International Classification of Diseases, and the Diagnostic and
Statistical Manual in classifying mental disorders?
A. There are significant differences in classifying mental disorders between the two systems.
B. The DSM is updated more regularly than the ICD.
C. The ICD separates mental disorders from behavioural disorders, whereas the DSM places everything
under mental disorders.
D. The ICD is a much more detailed system for categorising mental illness.

Question 29 C
The International Classification of Diseases: Classification of Mental and Behavioural Disorders separates
the two, whereas the Diagnostic and Statistical Manual does not.

My textbook provides very little information about the classifications of the ICD.

And also:

b. Choose one mental illness, and describe how it would be classified in the DSM and the ICD.

So I wrote Generalised Anxiety Disorder
Had no idea about ICD category
DSM: Axis I (Clinical disorders) - Anxiety disorders

Anxiety disorder
The appropriate axis must be identified (Axis 2 – General Disorders) and the symptoms
correspond with the classification identified and the ICD broadly categorises anxiety
disorders in the general category of social disorders.

Is it under Axis I or Axis II? :S

From Lisachem:

Question 10
Three years after her birth, Dr D. Eff discovered that Bingo had a severe hearing impediment
in both ears. He told her parents that her language may be affected as her hearing was
impaired during a specific period of time in her development when she would be more
responsive to certain environmental stimuli, such as hearing her parents talk. This period of
time when Bingo should have been learning language is known as the
A. sensitive period.
B. critical period.
C. complex period.
D. both A and B.

The answer is apparently D - I thought that critical periods didn't really happen in humans, or am I wrong?

Question 45
Frodo suffers from a phobia relating to not being able to look at baked beans. This has
become a problem as his partner Freda loves to eat baked beans. Frodo decides to undergo
systematic desensitisation as he has heard that this may help overcome his fear of baked
beans. The first step in this process would be to
A. breakdown the fear-arousing event into a logical sequence of steps.
B. identify the underlying feelings or behaviour associated with the baked beans.
C. confront Frodo with baked beans immediately.
D. teach Frodo relaxation strategies that can be used to manage his anxiety.

The answer is apparently D, but I thought A came first?
2010: Japanese SL [28]
2011: Psychology [40] | Business Management [34] | English [32] | English Language [34] | Media [41]
2012-2014: Bachelor of Arts (Languages) @ Monash
2015: ???????

REBORN

• Victorian
  • Part of the furniture
  • Respect: +74
« Reply #229 on: November 05, 2011, 09:53:09 am »
Question 14
In classical conditioning the stimulus always _______________ the response; for operant conditioning the
B. precedes; precedes

----

I put B too. If everyone agrees I can tick myself off for a 45/45....if not, just another 44 -_-
« Last Edit: November 05, 2011, 09:55:22 am by ssNake »
Doctor of Medicine

mjwalka

• Victorian
  • Forum Regular
« Reply #230 on: November 05, 2011, 10:24:53 am »
^ See playsimme, my lack of English skills is apparent here.
« Last Edit: November 05, 2011, 10:33:39 am by mjwalka »
2010 - Geography [42]
2011 - English (30+), Maths Methods CAS (35+), Psychology (45+), Physical Education (45+), Biology (35+)
AIM - 90.00+

playsimme

« Reply #231 on: November 05, 2011, 10:32:05 am »
precedes and occurs after.. it's c.. think about it

CONDITIONED STIMULUS> response          before
DISCRIMINITIVE STIMULUS>response        after

mjwalka

• Victorian
  • Forum Regular
« Reply #232 on: November 05, 2011, 10:32:21 am »
Next,

Question 10
Three years after her birth, Dr D. Eff discovered that Bingo had a severe hearing impediment
in both ears. He told her parents that her language may be affected as her hearing was
impaired during a specific period of time in her development when she would be more
responsive to certain environmental stimuli, such as hearing her parents talk. This period of
A. sensitive period.
B. critical period.
C. complex period.
D. both A and B.

The answer is apparently D - I thought that critical periods didn't really happen in humans, or am I wrong?

Yeah critical human's can happen in human's, in this question the lack of verbal stimuli in this period has inhibited future growth to facilitate hearing. And as a result language is effected, but this can be learned in later life obviously, being the sensitive period.

Question 27
a. Describe one problem-focused coping strategy Bronwyn could use to reduce her stress.
1 mark
b. Describe one emotion-focused coping strategy Bronwyn could use to reduce her stress.
1 mark

Lazarus and Cohens Transactional Model of Stress and Coping, so the problem focused and emotional focused follows the secondary appraisal in an effort to deal with the stressor.
2010 - Geography [42]
AIM - 90.00+

monkeywantsabanana

• Victorian
  • Forum Leader
  • An eye for an eye will make us all blind.
  • Respect: +55
  • School Grad Year: 2012
« Reply #233 on: November 05, 2011, 10:32:44 am »

Question 27
1 mark
1 mark

What is it? What does it relate to? I can't find it in my textbook anywhere.

This is part of the Grivas book so you won't find it if you're using Oxford. I don't know the context but here's something general:
a. Bronwyn can gather more information about the stressor and find alternative ways to manage the stress. (E.g. if you forgot your books at school and you have a test tomorrow, you can ask your mom to go pick it up)
b. Browyn can use emotional strategies such as denial (I'm not stressed at all), wishful thinking (teacher will forget about the test), acceptance (oh well, what is done is done)

b. Choose one mental illness, and describe how it would be classified in the DSM and the ICD.

So I wrote Generalised Anxiety Disorder
Had no idea about ICD category
DSM: Axis I (Clinical disorders) - Anxiety disorders

Anxiety disorder
The appropriate axis must be identified (Axis 2 – General Disorders) and the symptoms
correspond with the classification identified and the ICD broadly categorises anxiety
disorders in the general category of social disorders.

Is it under Axis I or Axis II? :S

I'm pretty positive the Anxiety disorders exist under Axis 1. And just so you know, the ICD has 3 Axis, also described in the Grivas book but I don't think we have to know this because it's in one of those " DID YOU KNOW ?" boxes ... Sorry, I can't remember the three axes.

From Lisachem:

Question 10
A. sensitive period.
B. critical period.
C. complex period.
D. both A and B.

Again, the Grivas book describes critical periods and sensitive periods as the same thing and the Oxford book says critical periods are used to describe animals where as sensitive periods for humans, so you're right, according to Oxford.

Question 45
Frodo suffers from a phobia relating to not being able to look at baked beans. This has
become a problem as his partner Freda loves to eat baked beans. Frodo decides to undergo
systematic desensitisation as he has heard that this may help overcome his fear of baked
beans. The first step in this process would be to
A. breakdown the fear-arousing event into a logical sequence of steps.
B. identify the underlying feelings or behaviour associated with the baked beans.
C. confront Frodo with baked beans immediately.
D. teach Frodo relaxation strategies that can be used to manage his anxiety.

The answer is apparently D, but I thought A came first?
I don't think it really matters in my opinion, but apparently to psychologists, teaching someone to relax and breaking down anxiety/fear-inducing stimuli (two events non-related and does not affect each other ) must be done in some kind of order...
In Grivas:
1) Teach relaxation
2) Break down stimulus
3) Pair them up.

Hope this helps.
« Last Edit: November 05, 2011, 10:51:54 am by monkeywantsabanana »

Bachelor of Commerce (Economics & Finance)

playsimme

« Reply #234 on: November 05, 2011, 10:33:55 am »
yeah the purple book uses stimulus, but you should call it a discriminative stimulus, therefore c, not b o.o

harlequinphoenix

• Victorian
  • Trendsetter
« Reply #235 on: November 05, 2011, 10:40:58 am »
Emma drives safely and obeys all the road laws to avoid getting any more traffic fines and licence demerit points.

What is the negative reinforcer here? Is it 'traffic fines/the loss of licence demerit points'?

it's the AVOIDANCE of fines/loss of points, not the fine or points themselves :P
2010: Visual Communication & Design [43]
2011: English [40] | Psychology [48] | Further Maths [38] | Literature [42] | Health and Human Development [47]
ATAR: 98.00

harlequinphoenix

• Victorian
  • Trendsetter
« Reply #236 on: November 05, 2011, 10:42:42 am »
Question 14
B. precedes; precedes

----

I put B too. If everyone agrees I can tick myself off for a 45/45....if not, just another 44 -_-

B i would say, but it depends whether the "stimulus" referred to at the end is the consequence or like, what is presented to the organism so they respond, for example being given homework - do the homework - get rewarded. then it'd be c
« Last Edit: November 05, 2011, 11:01:15 am by harlequinphoenix »
2011: English [40] | Psychology [48] | Further Maths [38] | Literature [42] | Health and Human Development [47]

REBORN

• Victorian
  • Part of the furniture
« Reply #237 on: November 05, 2011, 10:45:44 am »
Let's just say it depends on your interpretation of stimulus; discriminative stimulus or stimulus in the form of a consequence.

Such a poor Q won't be on the exam.
Doctor of Medicine

harlequinphoenix

• Victorian
  • Trendsetter
« Reply #238 on: November 05, 2011, 10:50:47 am »
One thing that kind of confuses me is, how does the stress response CAUSE anxiety? Isn't it just a physiological response that is as a result of someone seeing a phobic stimulus and freaking out?

Oh and I can't remember what "discriminative stimulus" is synonymous with - what was it referred to as again in the Grivas book??

REBORN

• Victorian
  • Part of the furniture
« Reply #239 on: November 05, 2011, 10:51:24 am »
Grivas - Stimulus

SRC v DBC basically
Doctor of Medicine