Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

June 06, 2024, 05:31:19 am

Author Topic: My monash q's  (Read 2861 times)  Share 

chubz90

• Victorian
  • Trendsetter
  • Respect: +1
My monash q's
« on: September 21, 2008, 03:19:12 pm »
Hey guys just about to puts in my prefs, but got a couple of questions that need ironing out? ANY help would be appreciated  ;)

1)In the undergrad book published by monash it has; 'Bachelor of business/ Bachelor of information technology and systems' at caufiled with a duration of 4.5 years, with no enter. See when i go to vtac the course does not exist at caufield, but at another campus. Was this a misprint?

2) Is 'bachelor of business Information systems' any good? I think excal is dong this.

3) What do you think of monash for accounting, i heard RMIT was a little better and offer better qualifications.

4)What is the most sort of full on IT course that can be done?

excal

• VN Security
  • Victorian
  • ATAR Notes Legend
  • Über-Geek
  • Respect: +21
Re: My monash q's
« Reply #1 on: September 22, 2008, 12:05:09 am »
1) Looking at the course combo, it is most likely Caulfield due to the Business half of the degree. As for the BITS half, the location varies depending on which major you take (most majors are at Caulfield...one exception is Multimedia which is in Berwick).

2) Depends on if you're into creating/designing IT solutions for business as an analyst or consultant. If your interest lies into the actual programming and building of IT solutions, you're probably best looking at some of the BITS majors or the BSE/BCompSc courses.

If you are interested in the former, though, then there is also the added incentive of a $36,000 IBL scholarship.

3) ?

4) Full on IT course...arguably BSE if you're into lots of coding. It's the longest course (by default, as you have to do an 'honours'/4th year) and, arguably, the most technical. It also qualifies you both as an IT professional and an engineer.

BCompSc would be full on in terms of the maths you'd have to cover, as you'd be dealing with the theories of computing rather than the practicalities of them I'd imagine.

BBIS would be full on due to its course structure in the IBL program (7 subjects in 6 months for 2nd year as opposed to the usual 8 in a whole year).

Depends on what rocks your boat, really.
« Last Edit: September 22, 2008, 12:08:12 am by Excalibur »
excal (VCE 05/06) BBIS(IBL) GradCertSc(Statistics) MBBS(Hons) GCertClinUS -- current Master of Medicine candidate
Former Global Moderator

chubz90

• Victorian
  • Trendsetter
« Reply #2 on: September 22, 2008, 04:40:12 pm »
thanks excal for your feedback :) Although some of your abbreviations are confusing  :D

An IBL does sound pretty good, see i dont really think i want do do an extremely techy course. I would prefer having some business/ accounting sort of facets incorporated into IT.

So my final question i pose to you oh great Excalibur (lol) is what in your opinion is best IT/Business-ish sort of course and if you were not studying the course you are at the moment what would have been your next choice. Im just curious as all. :P

excal

• VN Security
  • Victorian
  • ATAR Notes Legend
  • Über-Geek
« Reply #3 on: September 22, 2008, 09:53:31 pm »
BSE = Bachelor of Software Engineering
BCompSc = Bachelor of Computer Science
BITS = Bachelor of Information Technology and Systems

My second preference was the Bachelor of IT Scholarship program at Swinburne. Similar course to BBIS, with IBL.
excal (VCE 05/06) BBIS(IBL) GradCertSc(Statistics) MBBS(Hons) GCertClinUS -- current Master of Medicine candidate
Former Global Moderator

SoLe!

• Victorian
  • Trendsetter
  • :]
« Reply #4 on: October 06, 2008, 07:18:38 pm »
Quick question: Is it difficult to transfer from law at ANU to law at Monash, as in do they accept many people? I realise it would depend on grades....what sort of grades would you need/how hard are they to get? cheers :S
Resident athlete/gamer.

Aims 2009 (raw scores):
English: 43+
Methods (CAS): 40+
Chemistry: 37+
Economics: 44+
Revolutions: 44+
Psychology: 40+

Enter aim: 98.00
Arts/Law @ Monash

chubz90

• Victorian
  • Trendsetter
« Reply #5 on: October 08, 2008, 09:09:16 pm »
Hey Excal, i know this is a little late, considering the time of the posts (havent been on the formum for a while)- but yeah just wanna say thanks for your advice. I ended up choosing a couple of IBL streams among other IT and business courses. :)

excal

• VN Security
  • Victorian
  • ATAR Notes Legend
  • Über-Geek
« Reply #6 on: October 14, 2008, 06:05:41 pm »
No probs...you'll be seeing a lot of me if you end up in a Monash IT course :P
Former Global Moderator