Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

June 14, 2024, 01:59:24 am

Author Topic: Literature Exam!  (Read 10474 times)  Share 

Avocado

• Victorian
  • Adventurer
  • Respect: 0
Re: Literature Exam!
« Reply #15 on: November 02, 2008, 12:48:55 pm »
To all doing Donne,

Why does he call To His Mistress an Elegy??
'Elegy' implies mourning. But what's he mourning? The loss of his lover's virginity/innocence?
"there is no penance due to innocence" = total contradiction if that's the case

julezian

• Victorian
  • Adventurer
« Reply #16 on: November 02, 2008, 01:07:44 pm »
don't stress about it too much
titles are not that relevant for analysis except for naming the poem ^^
i think its pretty clear he isn't mourning anything, and he certainly isn't mourning the loss of her innocence
'to teach the i am naked first'
if anything he's encouraging it :P
Also in the collection his elegies are titled 'Love Elegies' so i dont think their the typical elegy..

florallover

• Victorian
  • Trailblazer
  • Respect: +1
« Reply #17 on: November 02, 2008, 01:10:28 pm »
yeah agreed with julezian, just see them as a celebration. so is everyone doing donne then? i thought most wouldnt because its so hard (well i found it hard, obviously my teacher doesnt ;))...

julezian

• Victorian
  • Adventurer
« Reply #18 on: November 02, 2008, 01:13:12 pm »
mm well i had the choice of Much Ado About Nothing, Regeneration and John Donne.
and i figured i'd be able to remember Donne better than a novel(regen).

I found it heaps hard at first.. but then i just stuck with it and it's become pretty fluid :D
although i haven't touched lit since wednesday :o... better get back on it tonight.. i'm forgetting so fast :(

which texts are you doing

Avocado

• Victorian
  • Adventurer
« Reply #19 on: November 02, 2008, 01:26:48 pm »

I'm doing Regeneration and Donne.

I love Regeneration, man I wish I could just write a massive essay on Regen in 2 hours instead of doing Donne.

Gah, if we get the rest of Satire III I'll cry... or Song, I hate Song.

amycourty

• Victorian
  • Forum Regular
« Reply #20 on: November 02, 2008, 01:43:16 pm »
Our teacher hated satire so much that we just didnt do it as a class, but only because he reckoned it was time wasted, it didnt tie in too much with the others , etc.
hoping they dont do it though.  .. was in 07 though, so maybe IT wont be this year
i dont really like hm,,  elegy his picture
we're nearly over. oh my god
english, literature, francais, methods and psych
hoping for 85+

florallover

• Victorian
  • Trailblazer
« Reply #21 on: November 02, 2008, 01:54:25 pm »
i love satire :( so passionate, though it can get a little difficult to wrench things out of the second part with the 5 portraits. but yeah, i find his picture and song the hardest... thats why im trying to write on them right now, sigh

amyminchin

• Victorian
  • Forum Obsessive
  • Finished...
  • Respect: +2
« Reply #22 on: November 02, 2008, 02:29:25 pm »
It seems like my two texts are like, the least popular ones you can find.
Kinsella and Hotel Sorrento...  :smitten:

Kinsella is a total freak, but it's easy to link his poems together. Hotel Sorrento is a bit of a challenge to prepare for because there are SO many possible passages that could be on the exam. Like, every scene is loaded with relevance. Luckily, it is a short play, so there's not a huge amount of choice but yeah. ALL possibilities and SO many themes. :) I'm lucky I like it.
english.further.psych.lit.media
ENTER of 85.05

It is a mistake to think you can solve any major problems just with potatoes. - Douglas Adams

2009-
Arts/Teaching (Secondary) at ACU

Avocado

• Victorian
  • Adventurer
« Reply #23 on: November 02, 2008, 02:45:38 pm »
There's HEAPS of kids in my class writing on Hotel Sorrento, it's the most popular text.
My teacher's a raging feminist and spent half the term banging on about masculine dominance in Australia...so they're all hoping for a passage on Hil's oppression and the "brutalizing masculinity" of Australian culture.

will you be puttin a feminist spin on it?

julezian

• Victorian
  • Adventurer
« Reply #24 on: November 02, 2008, 02:47:48 pm »
i love satire :( so passionate, though it can get a little difficult to wrench things out of the second part with the 5 portraits. but yeah, i find his picture and song the hardest... thats why im trying to write on them right now, sigh

lol please tell me there is an extremly low chance of it coming up this year since it was on 2007 :)

we never covered it in class, nor did i by myself, its just way too dense!

songs just like valediction.. in content.. i think
my god i need to study

but its like about separation as well isn't it,

the flea, good morrow, satire 3 part 1, the sun rising, valediction and death be not proud
are very likely NOT to be on the exam.. since they have already been this study design 2006-2007

the first three especially, one of the last 3 may pop up in a combination but doubt it.
i really hope hope hope they just avoid satire otherwise im just going to be like

.... Donne's belief in a deeper love transcending physical limitations evolved into his fervent religious inclinations as passionately addressed in Satire3.... as i did for the practice of last years :P

So that leaves...
Elegy 2 : To his mistress
His Picture
The Canonization
Song
The Anniversary
The Relic
At the Round Earth's imagined corners
A Hymn to Christ
Hymn to god.
lame they took all the good ones.. imma deff need to restudy..

amyminchin

• Victorian
  • Forum Obsessive
  • Finished...
  • Respect: +2
« Reply #25 on: November 02, 2008, 03:28:22 pm »
There's HEAPS of kids in my class writing on Hotel Sorrento, it's the most popular text.
My teacher's a raging feminist and spent half the term banging on about masculine dominance in Australia...so they're all hoping for a passage on Hil's oppression and the "brutalizing masculinity" of Australian culture.

will you be puttin a feminist spin on it?

no way! i'm doing an identity/belonging style essay i think, or maybe betrayal/trust/loyalty. i dont like the feminist aspect at all :S I'm not a raging feminist so i find it hard to put that spin on it.
i'll just talk about the distance and how its a metaphor for the emotional distance and both expat sisters are searching for something when they travel back to aus, one reconcilation and one a shallow longing for place.

or about how rayson suggests that truth is more important than loyalty because conflicting loyalties can cause undue guilt which generally affects the most innocent, TROY

omg i love Troy. if he was real... i would be all over him in a flash.
damn fictional characters
english.further.psych.lit.media
ENTER of 85.05

It is a mistake to think you can solve any major problems just with potatoes. - Douglas Adams

2009-
Arts/Teaching (Secondary) at ACU

Chihiro

• Victorian
  • Forum Regular
« Reply #26 on: November 02, 2008, 03:49:27 pm »
Not too long to go now. I've done more practice essays for lit than english I reckon, craving that 40+ so hard. Anyone doing Washington Square? Also in terms of bringing in quotes from outside the passage, how much do you guys do it? I probably only use one or two quotes at most but talking to a few compadres from other schools they seem to do it a lot more. Just like to get an ideaaaaaa

amycourty

• Victorian
  • Forum Regular
« Reply #27 on: November 02, 2008, 03:51:25 pm »
Also in terms of bringing in quotes from outside the passage, how much do you guys do it? I probably only use one or two quotes at most but talking to a few compadres from other schools they seem to do it a lot more. Just like to get an ideaaaaaa

ah well we've been told to use a fair few.  The more the merrier he said, as long as its not tooo many
we're nearly over. oh my god
english, literature, francais, methods and psych
hoping for 85+

florallover

• Victorian
  • Trailblazer
« Reply #28 on: November 02, 2008, 04:16:39 pm »
aaaand we got told not to do any. so it probably doesnt matter as long as most of your discussion is based on the text.

bridgethuss

• Victorian
  • Forum Obsessive
  • Respect: +11
« Reply #29 on: November 02, 2008, 04:21:47 pm »
tomorrow after my biol exam im gonna have a hardcore lit session and just get as much done as possible.
for our last sac our teacher made us do heaps and heaps of "practise" sacs and the best mark you got would be the actual sac mark. so cut with mine i got 34/40 on my sense and sensibility one its my lowest mark of the year and did terrible things to my average. she said it was too general but didnt actually tell me specific parts i needed to improve on...so as far as the exam goes, i think ill be ok with s&s but NOT FOR KINSELLA AAAAHHH!
and want to hear the sad part? no student from my school who does lit (except for me, my sister, and my sisters friend) know ANY poetic devices...how sad is that....the other day i mentioned enjambment and one girl in my class was like WHAT IS THAT????
when i went to the VATE lecture with my sis and her friend, we were just overwhelmed and shocked....we didnt know anything! well we do know...so in a sense we have a slight advantage over the other students...BUT i dont think anyone from my school will get an A for this exam
2007 -
health and human development (33)

2008 -
literature (34..still confused by that)
english (37)
psychology (35)
biology (28...lolllll)
physical education (31...this was a good surprise!)

aiming for 83+
ENTER - 77.65
have been offered first pref. :)

2009 - year off

2010 - health sciences at deakin (waurn ponds)
:)