Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

June 04, 2024, 06:53:09 am

Author Topic: Any year 11s going to do UMEP/MUEP ?  (Read 6524 times)  Share 

ell

• Victorian
  • Forum Leader
  • Respect: +18
Re: Any year 11s going to do UMEP/MUEP ?
« Reply #15 on: December 25, 2008, 01:59:18 pm »
i wanna do UmEP for psych...but i neva heard of any1 do it

squance did it, I think someone else was planning to do it as well

squance

« Reply #16 on: December 25, 2008, 03:44:33 pm »
+1

Yep!
I did it!
Skipped most of the lectures...
Only attended the tutorials because of hurdle requirements...
3 Hour Research Participation was a pain in the bum but some of these research thingys actually gave me cash so it was worth it....
Crammed the night before the exams (I only did the MC questions that the lecturers gave us..which actually appeared in the exam LOL)...
Still got a grade of 71% for both semesters...
Got a 5.0 increment towards ENTER.

:D :D :D :D :D :D
« Last Edit: December 25, 2008, 04:30:58 pm by squance »

khalil

« Reply #17 on: December 25, 2008, 04:06:39 pm »

Yep!
I did it!
Skipped most of the lectures...
Only attended the tutorials because of hurdle requirements...
3 Hour Research Participation was a pain in the bum but some of these research thingy actually gave me cash so it was worth it....
Crammed the night before the exams (I only did the MC questions that the lecturers gave us..which actually appeared in the exam LOL)...
Still got a grade of 71% for both semesters...
Got a 5.0 increment towards ENTER.

:D :D :D :D :D :D

Wow, that sounds great! But is it truly worth it? Is it similar to yr 12 Pscyh?
 Am i eligible to qualify...I know its 2 late to give applications now but im doing 3 year vCE so i plan to do it in '10 and do it in Monash Clayton....btw whats the difference between melb and monash EP?
Also how many people where in the class....and during what time does it occur?

squance

« Reply #18 on: December 25, 2008, 04:29:14 pm »
Hmm...it was definitely an experience. But if I was to look back at my VCE, I probably wouldn't do UMEP because I probably would've achieved a much higher ENTER if I had done another VCE subject (probably would've picked up Business Management or HHD) rather than UMEP.

In terms of similarity...Welll, what you learn in Year 12 Psych would be covered in a week at Uni :D :D :D :D They go into much more depth in Psychology at Melb Uni...(the brain stuff was a pain the butt because there were so many new terms...LOL)

UMEP taught me independence and gave me the opportunity to experience uni. :D

I have no idea if there is any difference in the Enhancement programs between Melb and Monash. But all I know, is that if you do UMEP Psychology, you will be charged $0!!! BARGAIN!

In the Psychology tutorial classes, there are usually about 30 people in the class. There's heaps of tutorial timeslots because of the huge number of people in Psych so you can practically choose any time you want your tutorial in (I had mine on Wednesday during School sport because I hated sport LOL and everyone else who was doing UMEP at my school had their tutorials then as well).

For the lectures...I recall that there were two lecture streams..one in the morning and one in the afternoon. I attended the afternoon one. There would be probably about 1000 people doing Psychology and in my year, there was like 10 of us doing UMEP Psychology (2 others were from my school).

Anything else you would like to know? :D
« Last Edit: December 25, 2008, 04:33:11 pm by squance »

khalil

« Reply #19 on: December 25, 2008, 05:00:57 pm »
OHHhh....so you study with people from uni....i thought the classes were for peole who are doing an EP only.
how much did u get paid for the reasearch...and what were they researching?
Only 10?...from the whole state? Do u have to buy any textbooks......how do u know if u qualify to do uni psych?
How did u get assessed?...ERA's? or tests? did they have SAC's?

squance

« Reply #20 on: December 25, 2008, 05:22:31 pm »
For Psychology, yeah, you get to study with other people from uni. For other subjects such as Maths and Biology, they usually go to a school and have classes with just Year 12 people.

In regards to the research participation, honours and PHD students usually post advertisements about their research on the noticeboard (I think on the 10th floor of the Psychology building) and students doing First year psych have to sign their name up. There's so many different types of research ranging from personality psychology, to stuff about memory and visual psychology. Not all research participation is paid - There would be like about 5 out of 20 research thingys that are paid and you would have to be quick when signing up to the ones that pay cash because everyone likes cash :D. I remembered getting paid around $15 for an hour session - and this was only just filling out surveys (I think mine was about views towards Muslims or something).

First year students have to have attained 3 hours worth of research partcipation - At least 1 hour Questionarie type (eg: survey) and at least 1 hour Non Questionaire Type (maybe a computer simulation activity or a discusiion or a role play etc).

Yes, in the year 2007, there was only about 10 people doing UMEP Psych - FROM THE WHOLE STATE OF VICTORIA. LOL. If you wanna get into UMEP Psych I recalled that you must get an A/A+ average in VCE Psych plus an A average in your other subjects. I remembered I was so stressing out about the application process because the stupid VCE coordinator sent in my Semester 1 report which had TWO C+ on it (this was for the subject Advanced General Maths).
In addition, my semester 2 report had a B for Chemistry. I really didn't know if I was qualified to do UMEP Psych because of my dodgy grades. I was so upset about my stupid Year 11 grades but when Melb Uni accepted me, I was relieved :D :D Melb Uni probably accepted me because of the SS of 42 I got in Psychology (I did 3/4 Psychology in year 11) :D :D

In regards to textbooks, no you don't have to buy them but the lecturers recommend it . Otherwise, you can just loan them from the University library. The lecture notes are usually sufficient. I bought and had 4 books (I had one Psychology book which was the main one, a small book which taught how to write essays/reports in psychology, and two books on Quantitative Methods :D :D). I mainly used the Quantitative Methods book because thats what was covered in the tutorials/

Assessment: 1 essay worth 40% and 1 exam worth 60% per semester. No SACS or tests and i didn't have to do an ERA :D :D :D I achieved H1 for one of my essays :D :D :D :D

Hope this helps :D :D

khalil

« Reply #21 on: December 25, 2008, 06:07:49 pm »
Wow thanks it does. After reading your comments I'm more inclined to do Psych.
Even though I hate writing essays I'm keen to give psych a shot
I wonder if you're allowed to do 2 EP. That'd be awesome! Imagine getting an 11 on your 5th and 6th subjects.

squance

« Reply #22 on: December 25, 2008, 06:17:30 pm »
LOL
It would be awesome to do 2 Enhancement Subjects but I recall somewhere in the UMEP brochere it said that Year 12's can only do one EP subject or else it would ruin the purpose of the program :P

Good on ya for going for EP Psychology :D :D :D :D :D

dekoyl

• Victorian
  • ATAR Notes Superstar
« Reply #23 on: December 25, 2008, 06:20:53 pm »
Wow thanks it does. After reading your comments I'm more inclined to do Psych.
Even though I hate writing essays I'm keen to give psych a shot
I wonder if you're allowed to do 2 EP. That'd be awesome! Imagine getting an 11 on your 5th and 6th subjects.
You could possibly cheat the universities (UMEP and MUEP) but you can't cheat VCAA :P

lacoste

• Victorian
  • Forum Leader
  • Respect: +2
« Reply #24 on: December 25, 2008, 09:15:05 pm »
i thought this thread was going to be about year 11's doing UMEP/MUEP

/0

• Victorian
  • ATAR Notes Legend
  • Respect: +45
« Reply #25 on: December 25, 2008, 09:16:55 pm »
Free textbooks @ Uni physics

lacoste

• Victorian
  • Forum Leader
  • Respect: +2
« Reply #26 on: December 25, 2008, 09:20:41 pm »

but only the students doing physics get it? or what

hard

« Reply #27 on: December 25, 2008, 09:22:33 pm »
- when do results come out? mid - january?

dekoyl

• Victorian
  • ATAR Notes Superstar
« Reply #28 on: December 25, 2008, 09:51:48 pm »

but only the students doing physics get it? or what
Well I guess so. I don't think they will go out handing textbooks to anyone who wants them :P