Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

June 16, 2024, 06:42:07 am

Author Topic: P.E Students 09  (Read 7987 times)  Share 

cobby

• Victorian
  • Part of the furniture
  • Respect: +7
Re: P.E Students 09
« Reply #15 on: December 09, 2008, 03:53:13 pm »
Hey,
whats the difference between P.E and HHD? They sound pretty similar.

Good question,
i think HHD is mainly concerned about how lifestyle diseases,birth rates etc etc are affected by other stimuli.
Whereas P.E is more concerned about how the body works; nervous systems, respiratory systems, injury prevention.

That was of the top of my head :)
2008 - Economics
2009 - Maths Methods CAS
          English
          I.T Apps
          P.E

mtwtfss

• Victorian
  • Forum Obsessive
  • Respect: +2
« Reply #16 on: December 12, 2008, 12:23:53 pm »
If anyone needs help with PE just ask away, it is a very weird topic to understand when you first read certain topics at home, by yourself.

And advice for students for PE 2009.

The most important thing to do is to have a complete set of notes well before the exam.
It is often hard to make notes in PE perfect, as tons of the info in the textbooks are completely irrelevant; therefore, by including this info in your notes is a huge waste of time.

On that note, know the study design back to front, and base your notes around this.
There are 4 main sections, with between 3 and 6 'sub-sections' for each topic of the course. Use this study design as the basis for every piece of study you do, ensure you can make the clear distinction between each piece of the course.

Which textbook to use?
I believe Live It Up by Smyth, has the best descriptions of the majority of the course. BUT, the nelson publication by Malpeli and Telford is also a quality reference, but IMO some of the descriptions were poor.

In saying that, if you can, purchase both textbooks, if not, use your prescribed text extensively but consistently refer to the other text (borrow it from your library) to ensure your notes are complete and accurate, and your understandings are correct.

I can almost promise you that the kids who get 50's this year, would have studied both textbooks at some point throughout the year.

Other references:

PE Notes by Malpeli is an excellent reference, as it covers the majority of info in his larger textbook, but just summarises it into easy to understand graphs, tables and short paragraphs. If your using Malpeli at school, you don't have to purchase this, but feel free to. If your using Smyth (LIU) at school then definitely purchase this and study it like crazy in combination with LIU.

The main other book out there is Leading Edge, this is another fantastic resource as it provides the notes divided into separate sections based upon the all important study design. I used this reference last, and just double checked all my notes to ensure they were complete. If your school library has this, just borrow it, if not, only purchase a copy of your really keen and have plenty of time.

The last piece of advice is, if you play or watch sport, apply everything you are studying to as many different sports as you can. Think about the best training methods to use, think about which fitness components are most important to perform well, think about how your sport is promoted, think about which energy systems are most important, think about what foods and drinks they consume, think about the ethics behind your sport.
Go through as many sports as you can and ask yourself these questions.

Goodluck to all.
« Last Edit: December 12, 2008, 12:27:00 pm by mtwtfss »

cobby

• Victorian
  • Part of the furniture
« Reply #17 on: December 12, 2008, 12:25:54 pm »
Sweet advice, thanks :)
What did you do for exam prep? for practice questions?
2008 - Economics
2009 - Maths Methods CAS
          English
          I.T Apps
          P.E

mtwtfss

• Victorian
  • Forum Obsessive
« Reply #18 on: December 12, 2008, 12:50:05 pm »
Exam preparation

Complete every exam you can get your hands on.

Especially VCAA, even way back to 2001 or so. These are the best exams by far, just be sure to know which questions are irrelevant to 2009 as the study design changed hugely; but still do them! Trust me.

Your school might sell their students an exam pack which may include private company written exams. If not, look into getting them yourself somehow. The companies which I can remember of the top of my head are:

QAT (Quality Assestment Tasks)
Malpeli and Telford (Can't remember exact name, but they wrote them...)
ACHPER  - http://www.achper.org.au and http://www.achper.vic.edu.au/resources/index.html

Also complete as many questions as you can, Malpeli sells various books full of exam questions, although some arn't neccasarily the best, it is still worth completing them.

I'll post a whole heap of resources (hundreds of questions, links to very useful sites, notes etc) sometime soon.

On a seperate note, just came across this site: http://www.achper.vic.edu.au/mega-day-out/index.html

Seems interesting, not essential to attend the day, but you might find it useful i'm not sure, although i'm not a huge fan of lectures.

cobby

• Victorian
  • Part of the furniture
« Reply #19 on: December 12, 2008, 01:10:36 pm »
wow thanks a lot :D
2008 - Economics
2009 - Maths Methods CAS
          English
          I.T Apps
          P.E

mtwtfss

• Victorian
  • Forum Obsessive
« Reply #20 on: December 12, 2008, 01:16:55 pm »
Having said that, I firmly believe that you should have a complete and thorough understanding of the course content before completing practice questions.

Or at least, be at maybe 70% of your peak performance levels, start doing questions, pick up on areas which you are constantly getting wrong after maybe 1 or 2 practice exams, and then go over that particular content again, not just what you got wrong but the topic.

Also, never be too confident with PE, there's always something you will get wrong.

akkxn

• Victorian
  • Trendsetter
  • Respect: 0
« Reply #21 on: December 15, 2008, 10:30:52 pm »
hi 09 pe students

I'm also a strong advocate of past exams. I did 14 of them which helped immensely.
I was actually very disappointed with the 08 paper because there were too many 2/3 mark questions. I felt like I had no chance to really use my deeper knowledge.
In the end silly mistake cost me a 50. It's a bit of a game of chance really.
Oh well it doesn't matter. I really enjoyed PE this year. I just got my cert III in fitness and I'm currently getting my cert IV. I
f anyone is interested in pursuing a career in the fitness industry gimme a PM :) good luck guys
2008 ENTER: 97.35

ENG: 40 -> 39.45
PE: 49 -> 48.89
BM: 45 -> 43.43
ChineseSL: 33 -> 44.35
Methods: 22 -> 26.55
Viscom(2007): 41 -> 38.18

2009: comm/law @ deakin

mtwtfss

• Victorian
  • Forum Obsessive
« Reply #22 on: December 15, 2008, 11:51:31 pm »
agreed. There weren't many super tough questions. Unlike the past 2years. Most questions the state should average at least 50% and shouldn't be many questions which the state stuff up. Congrats on 49 just hope you didn't steal my 49 spot haha. There arnt hundreds of prac exams like methods etc. So do them all,and do them properly :) any 50s for PE on VN? Goodluck for 2009!

melaniej

• Victorian
  • Forum Obsessive
  • Respect: +6
« Reply #23 on: December 17, 2008, 02:07:47 pm »
I endorse what mtwtfss has said about the text books.

Making your own notes is probably the best way you can get a detailed understanding of the course.
Use the study design dot-points as headings, so you know you will include all the relevant information on that topic.

I have my notes, which I will post up here at a later date.

I used the Nelson text book, which I found OK, but used it in conjunction with many other resources, including the Leading Edge summary notes, Phys Ed notes (Malpeli) and various other photocopies from my teacher.
For exam revision, I did every past exam I could get my hands on, as well as completing all questions from Checkpoints - which is INCREDIBLY useful as it has past exam questions in it.

P.E is looked upon as an easy subject, and to be honest it's not that hard, but to get really high scores like 'akkxn' and 'mtwtfss' you need to apply yourself, work hard consistently all year, use any resources you can get your hands on - especially your teacher!

And don't hesitate to ask any members of the VN community who have completed the subject.
There have been a few high achievers this year, all who seem willing to help out other students.
It is my hope that the P.E and Health boards get used more, to enhance performance on these subjects as well.

mtwtfss

• Victorian
  • Forum Obsessive
« Reply #24 on: December 17, 2008, 02:31:07 pm »
melaniej you got 47 right? If so, great work!

It seems - after 'analysing' who scored what from my school - it's very easy to get low-mid 40's, but very hard to get the higher 40's and 50.

Put in that little extra effort in PE, and I can promise you, if you study effectively and ask heaps of questions, a score of at least low 40's, but high 40's is quite easily achievable and should be everyones aim.

As melaniej said, use every resource possible including books, exams, questions, random google searches, literally anything.

However, your best resource is your fellow peers.

Find a small group of people in your class/school/suburb/universe and study throughout the year with them for periods of time, of course study by yourself but please do not underestimate the power of your peers in group discussions and debates etc.

If you look at the scores from certain schools in PE, you will notice a certain school with a whole heap of students with similar scores. These students all progressed through the year together as a team, and have all achieved very good results, with a few standouts.

Enjoy.

melaniej

• Victorian
  • Forum Obsessive
  • Respect: +6
« Reply #25 on: December 17, 2008, 03:03:57 pm »
Yeah I got 47, which I was a little disappointed with, was hoping for 49+ as I worked my butt off all year!

Doesn't help that I went to hospital 2 days after the exam for an illness I had since September, and all through exams, and by the time I got out, too late to apply for derived scores or anything.

But back on P.E, I also agree with the studying with peers. A few friends and myself made posters and summary booklets and tested each other with revision questions, as well as trying to apply it to every day life (e.g. when you are actually playing sports think about the energy systems, or make a pre-game meal following the dietary recommendations you will learn about).

Phys Ed is such a fun subject, probably my favourite all up, so even if you are aiming super high, make sure you enjoy it as well. It's great because you get to do practicals relating to the content, which gives you a much better understanding of it! As annoying as the beep test is, it will significantly help you when an exam question asks you "A student completes a 20m shuttle run....."

So enjoy P.E, and again, any questions don't hesitate to post them!

mtwtfss

• Victorian
  • Forum Obsessive
« Reply #26 on: December 17, 2008, 03:17:02 pm »
But back on P.E, I also agree with the studying with peers. A few friends and myself made posters and summary booklets and tested each other with revision questions, as well as trying to apply it to every day life (e.g. when you are actually playing sports think about the energy systems, or make a pre-game meal following the dietary recommendations you will learn about).

Yes! When your playing/training any sport think about what energy systems you are using predominately, think about why your coach is using specific drills, so many times I said to myself something like 'shit this is Fartlek training, how did he know about this?'.

So many other things which actually relate to real life, its awesome :D I loved it all!

mtwtfss

• Victorian
  • Forum Obsessive
« Reply #27 on: December 20, 2008, 12:47:04 am »
If anyone was interested:

The cutoff for an A+ in 2008 for PE was 178/240 or 89/120 or 74.2%.

Compared to last year which you needed 168/240 or 84/120 or 70% for an A+.

For a 48 I needed: 205/240 or 102.5/120 or 85.4%

Huge difference between an A+(74.2%) and a A+(85.4%) in terms of actual study score received.

Anyone else got a Statement of Marks to show what %=score etc. :)

cobby

• Victorian
  • Part of the furniture
« Reply #28 on: December 20, 2008, 08:26:32 am »
^^
Wow lost 35 marks and that gave a 48!
AWWWEEESOMMEE
Congratulations mtwtfss
2008 - Economics
2009 - Maths Methods CAS
          English
          I.T Apps
          P.E

mtwtfss

• Victorian
  • Forum Obsessive
« Reply #29 on: December 21, 2008, 11:55:25 am »
Thanks...i'm now desperate to see a copy of the exam to see what I got wrong! And whether or not I won the arguments with my peers straight after the exam LOL!