Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

June 16, 2024, 09:51:10 am

Author Topic: The Politics Test - which party suits you?  (Read 18561 times)  Share 

Collin Li

• VCE Tutor
  • Victorian
  • ATAR Notes Legend
  • Respect: +17
Re: The Politics Test - which party suits you?
« Reply #180 on: September 25, 2008, 06:52:18 pm »
This, among a few others such as uncontrolled monopolies, are the few failings of a completely libertarian society.

Government ought to have an umpire role, not a player role. It is to help in minimising the failures of markets: externalities and monopolies. But just because there are externalities in energy, or monopolies in transport, it doesn't mean the government should necessarily be the key player in those industries. They should merely be the referees, setting up appropriate law and order to provide the necessary incentives for a market mechanism to do the job properly.

A bit welfare would ensure this person will get back on track and contribute to society again. However, there is the true consideration that the government ought to not take my money forcefully (through taxes).

In this sort of situation, I believe the government's role is to act only as a facilitator - to create the means for those able and willing to contribute to welfare to do so. Perhaps an opt-in system to take a bit more tax for this very purpose?

Private loans would do, if there was really so much potential to be unlocked in these people.
« Last Edit: September 25, 2008, 07:23:42 pm by coblin »

Collin Li

• VCE Tutor
  • Victorian
  • ATAR Notes Legend
« Reply #181 on: September 25, 2008, 06:52:56 pm »
Yep, I'm still a centrist.

http://www.ozpolitics.info/guide/fun/politics-test/?id=73bd187e47031b2ee67bbc7fb6240f94

I would prescribe you the libertarian philosophy based on your results. They are more strongly pronounced than sxcalexc's results, who I also suggested was a libertarian.

amyminchin

• Victorian
  • Forum Obsessive
  • Finished...
  • Respect: +2
english.further.psych.lit.media
ENTER of 85.05

It is a mistake to think you can solve any major problems just with potatoes. - Douglas Adams

2009-
Arts/Teaching (Secondary) at ACU

Collin Li

• VCE Tutor
  • Victorian
  • ATAR Notes Legend
« Reply #184 on: September 25, 2008, 07:22:21 pm »
Haha, what can I say? Economics has had an influence on you.

costargh

« Reply #185 on: September 25, 2008, 07:25:03 pm »
That was the first thing I realised after I compared my results. I think economics has sort of had the same effect on me as it has for you... it like makes you realise everything going on around you and makes you less ignorant to propaganda and media sensationalism

Collin Li

• VCE Tutor
  • Victorian
  • ATAR Notes Legend
« Reply #186 on: September 25, 2008, 07:55:00 pm »
Here's my update:

http://www.ozpolitics.info/guide/fun/politics-test/?id=cd1b12e9b18869fee2ba0be5bc011702

My traditional values score moved closer to the centre (significantly). This is because I no longer agreed with the "harm reduction" statements. I am in favour of lifestyle choices, but not subsidising them. I don't wish to install safe injecting rooms at the expense of the taxpayer, or condom vending machines in high schools, unless it was through voluntary action.

I had a clear view on every question except the two harm reduction questions and the question about parties refining policy positions based on public polls. I don't necessarily believe in a democracy as much as I care about a constitutionally restricted government (although I guess this should be installed democratically).

mtwtfss

• Victorian
  • Forum Obsessive
« Reply #187 on: September 25, 2008, 08:04:55 pm »
GRN   DEM   ALP   FFP   LIB   NAT   ONP   Pol   Econ   Soc   Trad
30.4   45.6   51.3   57.5   68.4   59.9   88.8   31.2   17.8   33.3   9.1

Woah, yeah Pauline Hanson ! :S...LOL...

And just to let you know, i'm a Liberal through and through..

Collin Li

• VCE Tutor
  • Victorian
  • ATAR Notes Legend
« Reply #188 on: September 25, 2008, 08:07:25 pm »

I dug up your results by looking at the history: http://www.ozpolitics.info/guide/fun/politics-test/?id=cd8bcdf7531a15346553ea6b9871eb1b

rh

• Victorian
  • Forum Obsessive
  • Respect: +7

mtwtfss

• Victorian
  • Forum Obsessive
« Reply #190 on: September 25, 2008, 08:14:27 pm »

I dug up your results by looking at the history: http://www.ozpolitics.info/guide/fun/politics-test/?id=cd8bcdf7531a15346553ea6b9871eb1b

Your point?

costargh

« Reply #191 on: September 25, 2008, 08:15:05 pm »
This is the way I look at the political spectrum at the moment. I don't see the major political differences between that would traditionally be associated with left and right wing politics. I really find it hard to find that line that distinguishes labor and liberal parties nowadays. The best example I have seen recently of the differences being highlighted was when Howard introduced the Workchoices legislation to give more power to employers and Rudd opposed it. He abolished AWA's but has instead introduced the Individual Transitional Employment Agreement (ITEA) which holds striking resemblance to AWA's except there are more rights protected under ITEA's and there isnt a dramatic push to abolish awards etc in Rudd's government. Rudd wants to modernise awards which I'd like to see the outcome of.

Just in my opinion, politics isn't as clear cut as it used to be because Labor has in some ways changed their economic policies to reflect the policies that would more often be associated with liberal policies. Eg. Rudd's proposed taxation reforms.

Collin Li

• VCE Tutor
  • Victorian
  • ATAR Notes Legend
« Reply #192 on: September 25, 2008, 08:22:08 pm »

Your point?

None. Just so that people can see your breakdown of scores (economic, social, and traditional)

mtwtfss

• Victorian
  • Forum Obsessive
« Reply #193 on: September 25, 2008, 08:28:54 pm »

Your point?

None. Just so that people can see your breakdown of scores (economic, social, and traditional)

Fair call.

bubble sunglasses

« Reply #194 on: September 25, 2008, 08:58:32 pm »
Here's my update:

http://www.ozpolitics.info/guide/fun/politics-test/?id=cd1b12e9b18869fee2ba0be5bc011702

My traditional values score moved closer to the centre (significantly). This is because I no longer agreed with the "harm reduction" statements. I am in favour of lifestyle choices, but not subsidising them. I don't wish to install safe injecting rooms at the expense of the taxpayer, or condom vending machines in high schools, unless it was through voluntary action.

I had a clear view on every question except the two harm reduction questions and the question about parties refining policy positions based on public polls. I don't necessarily believe in a democracy as much as I care about a constitutionally restricted government (although I guess this should be installed democratically).

hmm, I may have misinterpreted those "harm reduction questions." I read them as "do you think  condom vending machines are a good idea?" and hence put "strongly agree"
   However, your stance seems rather rigid. Are you aware of the benefits vs costs of installing  those two facilities? What if the benefit was huge and the cost was minimal, would you still be against taxpayer funding?
  Saying "taxation is coercion, hence undesirable" is saying "'A' is really bad." A good argument that it is undesirable would need to be comparable, saying "A is worse than B".