Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

June 05, 2024, 04:39:26 pm

Author Topic: Religion's Place in Modern Society  (Read 13269 times)  Share 

costargh

Re: Religion's Place in Modern Society
« Reply #30 on: July 17, 2008, 11:35:45 pm »
But just because you hold a faith doesn't mean Catholicism is immune from the facts that the church has a history of child abuse by its priests and people in positions of power.

That is the truth. It is only wrong when people (in a serious context) accuse all Catholics of being pedophiles without justification. The facts tell us that their have been instances of child abuse, but the facts don't say that all Catholics are child abusers.

Collin Li

• VCE Tutor
  • Victorian
  • ATAR Notes Legend
  • Respect: +17
« Reply #31 on: July 17, 2008, 11:39:42 pm »
i wunce watched this doko on pedo-files in deez katholik boarding skuul and dese kidz was liek
"oh manz he got meh to suck his pipe and i phelt his blessing all over my phace then i bekame trawmatyzed4lyf yo."

Oh yeah, once I saw this priest on Dateline who got caught by Chris Hansen!

jcc

• Victorian
  • Trailblazer
  • Respect: +1
« Reply #32 on: July 17, 2008, 11:40:54 pm »
The real pedophiles are people who are normal part of society just like you (no saying you are), so don;t try crtizice catholics from the bs you hear from the media.
Btw i AM catholic, but i respect other religions and agnostics and athiests. Some people here just are very stupid to straight away point the finger at a religion when they don't know what the F*** is going on and that pisses me off!

Disregarding the fact that the original post was a joke, who exactly are you to say that they don't know what they're talking about? You're the naive one for assuming that they're only regurgitating what they've seen in the media. Frankly, many of the people (namely those subscribing to a different faith, or even no faith at all) are in a much better position to give a less-biased opinion than yourself. Believe it or not, most non-Catholics don't have some sort of anti-Catholic agenda. And moreover, don't go haphazardly writing off other people's opinions as being uninformed or naive -- it makes you look extraordinarily arrogant, given that most of the people here are extremely intelligent people who don't blindly agree with the media.

hard

« Reply #33 on: July 17, 2008, 11:53:09 pm »
But just because you hold a faith doesn't mean Catholicism is immune from the facts that the church has a history of child abuse by its priests and people in positions of power.

That is the truth. It is only wrong when people (in a serious context) accuse all Catholics of being pedophiles without justification. The facts tell us that their have been instances of child abuse, but the facts don't say that all Catholics are child abusers.
exactly, never said the catholic religion was without flaws; but so do orthodoxes have flaws, so do muslims, so do anglicans, so do athiests... etc. who doesn't have flaws? If you know tell me.

hard

« Reply #34 on: July 17, 2008, 11:56:30 pm »
The real pedophiles are people who are normal part of society just like you (no saying you are), so don;t try crtizice catholics from the bs you hear from the media.
Btw i AM catholic, but i respect other religions and agnostics and athiests. Some people here just are very stupid to straight away point the finger at a religion when they don't know what the F*** is going on and that pisses me off!

Disregarding the fact that the original post was a joke, who exactly are you to say that they don't know what they're talking about? You're the naive one for assuming that they're only regurgitating what they've seen in the media. Frankly, many of the people (namely those subscribing to a different faith, or even no faith at all) are in a much better position to give a less-biased opinion than yourself. Believe it or not, most non-Catholics don't have some sort of anti-Catholic agenda. And moreover, don't go haphazardly writing off other people's opinions as being uninformed or naive -- it makes you look extraordinarily arrogant, given that most of the people here are extremely intelligent people who don't blindly agree with the media.

i know people here are intelligent but i guess your only as strong as your weakest link. I never said anyones opinion was naive but more so some stupid comments like "all WYD pilgrims are stupid." I could say all Uni melb students are obnoxious (eg) but i don't cause it's a blatant and stupid statment.

hard

« Reply #35 on: July 17, 2008, 11:57:37 pm »
btw coblin, i believe the only reason you attacked my previous comment wasn't because of the religion part, but rather the statement "don't sit on your computer, but rather go out and have fun." Maybe that implies something?

Or maybe it doesn't? If you want to say something then be straight and just say it.

yes and then have all of VN debating against one person ;) fair.

costargh

« Reply #36 on: July 18, 2008, 12:01:05 am »
Some people here just are very stupid to straight away point the finger at a religion when they don't know what the F*** is going on and that pisses me off!

But you cut loose at "people here" who "point the finger at a religion they don't know [anything about]"

Where is your stand? You keep changing it.

It has nothing to do with flaws. I never said any religion had no flaws. I was just bringing to the forefront of your mind that the Catholic church has a bad wrap with child abuse. [without any statistical evidence, more documented cases than any other religion]

So now do you agree with Matt or what? You're confusing me with your changes in stance and hypocrisy as Coblin noted

brendan

« Reply #37 on: July 18, 2008, 12:03:06 am »
"all WYD pilgrims are stupid."

Why are you placing that in quotation marks as if someone actually said that? No one on this thread has said that.

yes and i know what argumentum ad populum means anyway, i've been in state debating before :). But what's your point? Numbers don't make an idea correct, but what does? a bit blurry there.

If you knew what argumentum ad populum meant, then you wouldn't have asked: "But what's your point?"

(1) A lot of people believe X is true.
(2) X is true.

His point is that (1) does not imply (2).

hard

« Reply #38 on: July 18, 2008, 12:13:03 am »
"all WYD pilgrims are stupid."

Why are you placing that in quotation marks as if someone actually said that? No one on this thread has said that.

yes and i know what argumentum ad populum means anyway, i've been in state debating before :). But what's your point? Numbers don't make an idea correct, but what does? a bit blurry there.

If you knew what argumentum ad populum meant, then you wouldn't have asked: "But what's your point?"

(1) A lot of people believe X is true.
(2) X is true.

His point is that (1) does not imply (2).

brenden, honestly what are you on about with your little catch phrases that make no sense.

btw coblin someone did "Anyone else hate the pilgrims? Does anyone else think their trip was totally pointless and a waste of money..."

enwiabe

• Putin
  • ATAR Notes Legend
  • Respect: +529
« Reply #39 on: July 18, 2008, 12:16:32 am »
They said the trip was pointless and a waste of money. They never said they were stupid. You assume the worst and you assume it of everyone because of one person.

You, sir, are irrational and have a tendency to victimise yourself - god knows why. :)

hard

« Reply #40 on: July 18, 2008, 12:17:19 am »
Some people here just are very stupid to straight away point the finger at a religion when they don't know what the F*** is going on and that pisses me off!

But you cut loose at "people here" who "point the finger at a religion they don't know [anything about]"

Where is your stand? You keep changing it.

It has nothing to do with flaws. I never said any religion had no flaws. I was just bringing to the forefront of your mind that the Catholic church has a bad wrap with child abuse. [without any statistical evidence, more documented cases than any other religion]

So now do you agree with Matt or what? You're confusing me with your changes in stance and hypocrisy as Coblin noted

i never changed my stance, your also along side brenden repeating what coblin says. Like a little army.

1) Catholic religion may have a history of pedophilia in minorities with priests. "minorities"
2) I don't like the fact that people say such things as, 'WYD is a waste of time and money etc" because that's just stupidity to it's finest.
3) I don't agree with Matt
4) why do you agree with Matt, "religion is a safe haven for pedophilia" because you say you believe in a religion hence you must be a pedophile since your a safe haven of course.

hard

« Reply #41 on: July 18, 2008, 12:19:41 am »
btw i'm not posting anything else on this topic since it's pointless. One last thing enwiabe, saying that WYD is pointless is a big statement. That's like telling a Australian war veteran, ANZAC day is pointless.

brendan

« Reply #42 on: July 18, 2008, 12:20:42 am »
brenden, honestly what are you on about with your little catch phrases that make no sense.

What are you on about?

btw i'm not posting anything else on this topic since it's pointless. One last thing enwiabe, saying that WYD is pointless is a big statement. That's like telling a Australian war veteran, ANZAC day is pointless.

Then saying this topic is pointless "is a big statement"?

enwiabe

• Putin
  • ATAR Notes Legend
  • Respect: +529
« Reply #43 on: July 18, 2008, 12:22:46 am »

I never said it was pointless. I only repeated what others said. You have far too many logical fallacies laced throughout all your arguments to have made the state-debating team. I impugn your lies and suggest that you provide proof to the contrary. :)

brendan

« Reply #44 on: July 18, 2008, 12:29:54 am »
2) I don't like the fact that people say such things as, 'WYD is a waste of time and money etc" because that's just stupidity to it's finest.

To the extent that the money is coming from taxpayers, then i would say that it is a wasteful use of taxpayers money.