Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

May 24, 2024, 10:47:56 pm

Author Topic: Election: November 24  (Read 23055 times)  Share 

Collin Li

• VCE Tutor
  • Victorian
  • ATAR Notes Legend
  • Respect: +17
Election: November 24
« Reply #15 on: October 21, 2007, 09:14:14 pm »
Quote from: "Khangfu"
Rudd wants to put more money into education through helping people buy computers and getting internet connection. I seriously can't trust him to handle a country now XD

Yeah, I mean, talk about "optimism," which was a theme of the debate.

If Rudd is so optimistic about Australia, why doesn't he believe that the market (i.e.: the aggregate individual spending preferences) can decide whether they need computers or not?

enwiabe

• Putin
  • ATAR Notes Legend
  • Respect: +529
« Reply #16 on: October 21, 2007, 09:16:14 pm »
Because first you need the infrastructure. And the cost of setting that up is far greater than 'consumer interest' could foster for itself. We are lagging behind other countries, literally and figuratively in terms of internet. We can't afford that if we want to truly prosper economically.

Khangfu

« Reply #17 on: October 21, 2007, 09:16:41 pm »
yea and his argument about people not having better lives. I think its more of an individual thing where people don't know how to be wise with thier money. Howard may have lied to us but he does a good job.

Quote from: enwiabe
Because first you need the infrastructure. And the cost of setting that up is far greater than 'consumer interest' could foster for itself. We are lagging behind other countries, literally and figuratively in terms of internet. We can't afford that if we want to truly prosper economically.

true but he was basically saying that computers will somehow enhance our education.

enwiabe

• Putin
  • ATAR Notes Legend
  • Respect: +529
« Reply #18 on: October 21, 2007, 09:19:05 pm »
That's kind of a given? Think of all the multimedia we'll have better access to now? >_>

Khangfu

« Reply #19 on: October 21, 2007, 09:20:14 pm »
Not really. My VCE didn't need any computers. If he had said it helped our economy i would not have thought he was off his rocker.

Toothpaste

• pseudospastic
  • Victorian
  • Part of the furniture
  • Member #10
  • Respect: +26
« Reply #20 on: October 21, 2007, 09:21:34 pm »
My VCE depends on wikipedia.

Khangfu

« Reply #21 on: October 21, 2007, 09:22:21 pm »
Quote from: "Toothpick"

Woah... whats going on with ur VCE studies? like what subjects are you doing? And How on earth does wiki even help?

Eriny

• The lamp of enlightenment
  • Honorary Moderator
  • ATAR Notes Superstar
  • Respect: +100
« Reply #22 on: October 21, 2007, 09:31:33 pm »
Quote from: "azhtey"
liberal for sure - did you guys forget what happened last time labor was in office??

Uh, no. Given that I was 5 the last time labour was in office, I don't remember at all.

For me, Rudd won me back a little after the debate. I wasn't sure I wanted to vote for Labour after tRudd's stance on capital punishment became known to me because I'm a big believer in human rights, but I actually do think the Labour party is much more grounded on Earth than the Liberals.

I believe in better funding for and investment into education that goes beyond the 'Endowment Fund'. I think everyone deserves to go to a quality school that isn't in a constant state of disrepair. And even though the states are primarily in charge of this, I think the federal government should assist the states in terms of funding. In fact, (and this is probably because the states are largely Labour governments) the relationship between the states and federal governments is terrible. There needs to be more proactive communication and states should not be withheld funding for not doing as the federal government wants. The idea of Performance Based Pay and of the Federal government determining the syllabus is ludiocrous. The states don't need to be told what to do, they just need some money to help do it.

Khangfu

« Reply #23 on: October 21, 2007, 09:34:15 pm »
But then the schools and statse spend the money on retarded things. Like the arts center....

Toothpaste

• pseudospastic
  • Victorian
  • Part of the furniture
  • Member #10
  • Respect: +26
« Reply #24 on: October 21, 2007, 09:35:34 pm »

Woah... whats going on with ur VCE studies? like what subjects are you doing? And How on earth does wiki even help?

See sig. The new green chemistry part of chem runs on wiki. Hahaha. My text has like one puny paragraph on the Kyoto Protocol. :(

Khangfu

« Reply #25 on: October 21, 2007, 09:41:41 pm »

See sig. The new green chemistry part of chem runs on wiki. Hahaha. My text has like one puny paragraph on the Kyoto Protocol. :(

Why don't you wait for a yr12 textbook. Im sure they have everything in it(if they want the books to sell that is). OR you can go state library to look at another textbook that will cover that topic more in depth. Maybe a more practicle approach is if the government said it will noly used more money to fix schools and assist in buying study guides and textbooks ONLY. You can't argue that a computer is essential to education. To me it sounds like he is throwing money away to people like me who are ready to abuse the system through my sister :D.

Ahmad

• Victorian
  • Part of the furniture
  • *dreamy sigh*
  • Respect: +15
« Reply #26 on: October 21, 2007, 09:50:45 pm »
I learnt most of what I know through the interwebs.
Mandark: Please, oh please, set me up on a date with that golden-haired angel who graces our undeserving school with her infinite beauty!

The collage of ideas. The music of reason. The poetry of thought. The canvas of logic.

Collin Li

• VCE Tutor
  • Victorian
  • ATAR Notes Legend
  • Respect: +17
« Reply #27 on: October 21, 2007, 10:38:15 pm »
Quote from: "Eriny"
The idea of Performance Based Pay and of the Federal government determining the syllabus is ludiocrous.

Why? We all know a little bit of competition stops industries from under-performing.

Quote from: "enwiabe"

If, as individuals, we don't feel we need it, then there shouldn't be an artificial injection of funds into the infrastructure. However, I would agree that we want it, and it is necessary. The goal should be achieved via the invisible hand of the markets though, not by the iron fist of the government. The problem is that there is a monopoly around the broadband sector (with Telstra and all) and this sector needs deregulation in order to thrive and give us competitive internet and rates.

rustic_metal

« Reply #28 on: October 21, 2007, 11:34:44 pm »
it doesnt help education that after a year or so most teachers get put on permanent contracts (forgotten what theyre called)

Odette

« Reply #29 on: October 22, 2007, 06:29:06 am »
Oh no lol... im doomed if thats the case :cry: oh but after teaching for a few years im moving on to bigger and better things, so i shouldnt worry too much.