Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

May 16, 2024, 06:50:21 am

Author Topic: Free AOS essay Marking!  (Read 182097 times)

CinnamonTea

• Adventurer
  • School: Prairie wood High
  • School Grad Year: 2016
Re: Free AOS essay Marking!
« Reply #105 on: July 17, 2016, 10:26:02 pm »
Thankyou for marking my essay. I've been anxious about it the whole day :) If I were to put your feedback into action, and improve my essay, would it be a band 6 potential?

jamonwindeyer

• Honorary Moderator
  • Great Wonder of ATAR Notes
  • The lurker from the north.
« Reply #106 on: July 17, 2016, 11:11:29 pm »
Thankyou for marking my essay. I've been anxious about it the whole day :) If I were to put your feedback into action, and improve my essay, would it be a band 6 potential?

Happy to do it!! Being honest (and I try to be), it is not Band 6 level right now. But that's cool, because yes absolutely you can get it there!! Fixing the structure will do a lot for the clarity of your ideas, and if you then get the analysis out of the park, then yep, I think you definitely have Band 6 potential! You can always get something into Band 6 range with the right attitude and solid work  ;D

jamonwindeyer

• Honorary Moderator
« Reply #107 on: July 17, 2016, 11:27:59 pm »
Hi guys!!! These are my topic sentences ^^^ I was hoping if someone could please help me make the related text topic sentences a bit more sophisticated such that it links with the corresponding core text topic sentence!! Thank you so much…. I can’t seem to think of any way to do so!

Hey there!! Absolutely, I'd be happy to help.

Let's start with the first

Human arrogance can hinder one’s ability to make pertinent discoveries. As a result, individuals retain an insular frame of reference where variation and understanding of choice is severely limited.

Love this as a concept btw  ;) okay, so you have at the moment:

Likewise, unanticipated discoveries that emanate from one’s receptive nature leads to an understanding life’s possibilities and symbiotically offers an individual a renewed perception of themselves and the world around them.

The first thing I notice is that you are now wanting to discuss the opposite concept; being open to new discoveries. Thus, I wouldn't use the word likewise, I'd use something like "on the other hand," or "contrastingly," something that indicates a change in focus!

That said, that first word is what makes the link you need. From there, you approach it the exact same way as you did for the one above! There is no need to change what worked for the awesome sentences for the prescribed text! If you really want to hammer home the links, try recycling some word choices. Here is an attempt on my part:

It is when these notions of arrogance are subverted, however, that individuals are able to truly gain new understandings of themselves and the world around them. It is through assumption of the vulnerability that comes with shedding an insular frame of reference that unanticipated discoveries are enabled, and through these, a new understanding of life's possibilities.

Two sentences instead of one worked better for me there  ;D

Note that I don't think what I've done is any better than what you've done. Just different. I think what you have right now is amazing as it is!! But if there is something you are looking for, some link you are missing in your mind, then maybe recycling words will make that link stronger?

To be honest, I think what you have right now is awesome. If you have any new ideas after reading this, I am super glad, but I think that even as they are your topic sentences are fantastic  ;D ;D ;D

zatos99

• Fresh Poster
« Reply #108 on: July 18, 2016, 07:54:30 pm »
Hi Elysepopplewell,
Can you please check my essay please! My trials start on Wednesday and English paper 1 is first up.
Thanks!
P.S. Was using your tips from the study day at UTS last Monday, very helpful as they were in my words, not some teacher's!

jamonwindeyer

• Honorary Moderator
« Reply #109 on: July 18, 2016, 10:23:11 pm »
Hi Elysepopplewell,
Can you please check my essay please! My trials start on Wednesday and English paper 1 is first up.
Thanks!
P.S. Was using your tips from the study day at UTS last Monday, very helpful as they were in my words, not some teacher's!

Hey there zatos99! Welcome to the forums!!  ;D

We'd love to give your essay a mark. Unfortunately, you need 5 posts on ATAR Notes for every essay you'd like marked!! 5 posts for 1 essay, 50 posts for 10 essays, etc etc  ;D this is to ensure that the marking services remain attainable for the markers and useful for the active members of the ATAR Notes community. The full rules are at the link in my signature below  ;D

Once you hit that 5 post count, we'll definitely mark your essay!! Just come back and let us know  :) you can build up your post count by asking questions, answering questions, or just in general being around: You may want to say hey on our chit chat thread!

Best of luck for your upcoming trials! I am sure you'll smash it  ;D

jamonwindeyer

• Honorary Moderator
« Reply #110 on: July 19, 2016, 10:48:56 am »
helloooo ! this will be the last time ill be posting this, but would you be able to see if this is any better then the previous please !

Hey Tahmina! Thanks for posting your essay, but you need a few more posts to qualify! You need to hit 35, I'll definitely mark it today if you can get there?

I am so sorry I didn't pick this up earlier, I normally try to let people know if they haven't met requirements as soon as they post, but I missed this one!  :-[ sorry!

jamonwindeyer

• Honorary Moderator
« Reply #111 on: July 19, 2016, 11:31:41 am »
Hey, this is my discovery essay!! Just need a second opinion, my teacher gives very vague comments, like "expand", "too vague" or "be more concise in this section" (referring to the entire 1st paragraph).

THANK YOU!!

Also, I am doing the English Adv. course - not sure if that means the essay is different though.

Hey there!! I am happy to give a second opinion on it, it is attached with comments throughout in bold!  ;D

Spoiler
How do discoveries and discovering offer new understandings of ourselves and others?

The act of discovery is a powerful tool for individuals to gain a deeper understanding of their innate humanity and that of others. I'd like an amplification here, just a little more depth, perhaps about the benefits of this, or challenges to these discoveries? Just something more. Within the texts, ‘Barn Owl’, a poem by Gwen Harwood, and the play The Tempest by William Shakespeare, the concept of personal discovery is explored. In ‘Barn Owl’, the unnamed narrator, a young child, experiences the reality of death: a discovery that ultimately leads him towards an understanding of his power as a human being and the responsibility associated with it. In The Tempest, Caliban and Prospero also convey these aspects of discovery. Caliban has come to the realization of his betrayal by Prospero, having learnt of Prospero’s perception of him as sub-human, bestial. You don't necessarily need to go over the plot in these sentences, just change the wording a bit (see next comment). Prospero comes to discover his innate magnanimity as the play progresses. All three personas experience the transformative effects of emotional discoveries on their understanding of themselves and others. Try to shift the wording of the latter half of this Thesis to what the AUDIENCE learns about discovery, rather than just what the characters learn.

In Harwood’s ‘Barn Owl’, the unnamed persona discovers the reality of death after killing an owl. Be careful that your introductory sentence sets up a concept that you will discuss, you sort of do this here, but it is based on retell! The reader sees that this event leads to shift towards a more mature understanding of life and death by discovering the reality of death. Something similar to this sentence should have been FIRST, then bring the text in later. The child is shocked at how the owl’s bloodied corpse “dropped, and dribbled” in the dank barn, “tangled in bowels”. Retell. This differs from their previous understanding that “death (is) clean and final.” The contrast between “clean” death and its messy reality, highlighted by the power of these obscene words, “dribbled”, “tangled in bowels”, conveys the child’s shift in understanding – Harwood contrasts the naivety of “clean” with the grotesque description of the wretched owl. Techniques in this analytical section? The significance of this child’s discovery is conveyed by the motif of the blind owl, with” “eyes that did not see, … day-light riddled [and] … blank,” the owl “hopped blindly”. This emphasizes the vulnerability and innocence of the owl and shows the childish ignorance that led the boy to carry out his regrettable act. But what does this show the audience about the reality of death? Finally, Harwood reflects the owl’s emotions in the boy: “I leaned upon my father’s arm, and wept, owl blind in the early sun.” The child’s internalization of the owl’s pain and helplessness heightens the perceived emotional toll of his discovery, highlighting the significance of discovery in creating awareness and new understandings of one’s self qualities; it gives the sense, through this detailed recount of this event, the narrator of the poem reflecting on their experience, that the barn shooting will linger on the child’s conscience. You were ALMOST there here, you needed to mention the audience once and you would have had it! Harwood’s choice of first-person narrative voice encourages the reader to have a more intimate interaction with the adult narrator, who reflects on this pivotal event from a mature and self-aware perspective. Good. Harwood uses the words “law” and “punish”, conveying the child’s naïve sense of power; but juxtaposing “law” with “beak and claw”, creates a nursery rhyme nature, emphasizing the simplicity of the child’s previous understanding of death and his petty power over the owl. Thus, the audience learns _______. In this poem, the frailty of life and death is discovered in one short moment, by a young child, as they gain an insight into their innate humanity. This child forms a new understanding of their power and how abusing this power causes emotional torment. Your conclusion should always match closely to the intro (nature of death), and link it to your main idea. Although you sustain the theme throughout, you haven't really linked it closely to Discovery in your intro or conclusion.

Conversely, in Shakespeare’s The Tempest, Caliban discovers and endures exploitation by Prospero. Retell. This reflects Shakespeare’s context: the exploitation and enslavement of natives by European colonisers of the ‘New World’. Good contextual link.  At the time of the playwright, this play would have shed light on the issue of slavery of native people and perhaps led to new understandings of the cruelty and the inhumanity that was directed towards these people by the audience being able to empathise with Caliban. THAT should have been your first sentence (in some form). Prospero thought Caliban was “hag-born – not honoured with a human figure” and locked him away as a slave. Retell: Technique? Shakespeare’s phrasing of being “honoured with a human figure” highlights the supremative view that Prospero, who represents European settlers have of themselves as Europeans over the ‘bestial’ natives. Technique? Prospero’s dehumanising description of Caliban is subtly challenged by Shakespeare’s gift to Caliban of eloquent verse: “I loved thee and showed the all the qualities o’th’isle.” Retell, you need to link this stuff to the concept of exploitation directly, what does the audience learn? This technique initiates the shift in the audience’s perception of Caliban. Caliban’s misplacement of trust evokes anger within him, reflected by his threatening and foul language directed towards Prospero: “A south-west blow on ye and blister you all over.” But what is our perception of the CONCEPT now? This experience of Caliban mimics the reality for many indigenous people in the colonial world, where Shakespeare identifies the suffering that colonialists caused to the natives.  The island setting is a microcosm of colonial society, simulating the oppressive enslavement of such natives as Caliban, who was deemed “poisonous slave, got by the devil himself.” This reference to Satan and of Caliban as “poisonous” would have conformed with the opinions of a Jacobean audience, but a post-colonial audience can see the injustice of this dehumanisation, contributing to the timeless significance of the play. Good. The audience is confronted by this somewhat controversial message of the play and by discovering the truth of the treatment of indigenous people, are prompted to rediscover an opinion on colonialism. Again, be sure your conclusion and introduction line up, and they should both be very conceptual (this is much better than the first, however).

On the other hand, Prospero’s emotional transformation as a result of his personal discovery is enlightening and restorational. At the beginning of The Tempest, he informs Miranda that he seeks revenge for the treachery of his brother, “the ivy which had hid my princely trunk, and sucked my verdure out on’t.” Retell. Shakespeare’s metaphor compares Antonio to a parasitical plant that drew the life from Prospero, a “princely trunk”, identifying Prospero’s bitterness and anger towards Antonio, how he solely blames Antonio for his usurpation. Thus, the audience realises _______ about restorational discoveries. However, by the end of the play, Prospero understands himself as a person and his own responsibility for his usurpation. Retell. In eloquent and poetic verse, Prospero declares his renewed nobility in Act Five: “the rarer action”, being the nobler course, “is in virtue, than in vengeance.” Retell. The alliterative juxtaposition of “virtue” and “vengeance” emphasizes the graceful antithesis of these two human characteristics, foregrounding his rejection of revenge and his embrace of balanced Renaissance virtue. This is better analysis, but you need to step it away from the text: Don't make it character specific, just say this generally! Prospero matures throughout the play, as does the child in ‘Barn Owl’, conveying the universally transformative effects of discovery on human perspectives, improving understandings of ourselves and others. Good textual link. Through his aristocratic tone and biblical diction in the final act, “penitent”, Shakespeare shows that Prospero has reached a new level of human compassion; it also highlights his return to Christian values and humanistic virtues, which he had replaced with anger and bitterness for all his years on the island. His statement that his “nobler reason” has risen “gainst [his[ fury” foregrounds his renewed perception of himself as a man of magnanimity as rational thinking was believed by Renaissance humanists to be the highest ranking faculty in the human body and that it should control the sometimes unruly passions. Hence Prospero’s discovery of his nobility aligns with the idea that discovery can create new understandings of ourselves, in particular our human qualities.

Although the mechanism of discovery id different in each text, they both reflect the idea that by the act of discovery, new understandings and perceptions of ourselves and others can be created or even renewed. Misused power, treachery and victimization, all universal themes, are explored in The Tempest and Harwoods, ‘Barn Owl’ Have you explored those themes in your response explicitly?

So before I do anything, I'm guessing that what your teacher means for the 1st paragraph (in my opinion) is that you are retelling. There is a lot of unnecessary detail where you explain what happened in the text, and then explain why that links to your concept. This isn't efficient. Instead, just say how the concept comes through with TECHNIQUES, the plot details are actually completely irrelevant.

PS - Can't stand vague feedback  ;)

Removing retell would be my biggest piece of feedback for this essay. A substantial amount of your response is spent telling the marker what happens in the text, occasionally with a technique, and occasionally linking to a concept. However, you must remember that the marker has read your text (and you assume the same for the ORT)! All the words you expend on detailed plot description are completely inefficient.

My challenge to you is to take a step away from the text. Don't tell me how what happens in the text is representative of Discovery. Instead, tell me how the composer has used techniques to portray Discovery concepts to the audience. The key to this is composer and audience; that is the important relationship you need to focus on. The text is kind of like the messenger; the composer wants communicate a message about Discovery and the text lets them do this.

The techniques are also important, you must make sure that every quote has an associated technique. This is because your job is to show what choices the composer has made to communicate properly with the audience. Every quote needs a technique, virtually no exceptions!! Pick the lines in your text that show a deliberate attempt by the composer to represent an idea, or connect to the audience. You did this in isolated areas, but your job is to be consistent!  ;D

Your sentences could look like this:

The composers use of TECHNIQUE, "QUOTE," effectively represents BLAH, as the audience realises BLAH BLAH BLAH."

No mention of plot, no mention of characters (unless necessary), just technique and effect  :)

Beyond this I'd also like to see a more consistent conceptual focus. Start your paragraphs with a concept

A very simple example: "Discoveries can be beneficial. This is shown in Shakespeare's The Tempest."

Like, this is way too simple, but that's the idea. Concept first, text second. Also be sure that your introduction and conclusion both match, and further, that they both link to your big Thesis up the top and/or to the question you are asked.

This essay has some great foundations; excellent textual knowledge and great conceptual ideas. But I'm looking to adjust how you portray those ideas. Have a read, let me know if anything is unclear, I hope this helps!  ;D

ehatton2016

• Adventurer
  • School: Ravens wood
« Reply #112 on: July 19, 2016, 09:25:23 pm »
Thank you soo much for marking my essay!!!

I love how helpful and enthusiastic you guys are! I genuinely think you are out there to help us, sometimes I don't get that vibe from teachers but yeh, love/hate relationship with teachers I guess ahah!

jamonwindeyer

• Honorary Moderator
« Reply #113 on: July 19, 2016, 09:32:34 pm »
Thank you soo much for marking my essay!!!

I love how helpful and enthusiastic you guys are! I genuinely think you are out there to help us, sometimes I don't get that vibe from teachers but yeh, love/hate relationship with teachers I guess ahah!

Thank you! And you are welcome! So happy to help  ;D

Teachers have it tough, they are in a bit of a unique profession where most of their clients actually don't want to do business with them. That's very unique!

I totally understand teachers who might not give off the "helpful vibe." It happens, you are in a profession where a lot of students are dragged along by their shoelaces, and if you aren't shown the love, you won't give it. Add to that now ridiculous amounts of paperwork and I can empathise  ;)

That said, every teacher (I believe) has that vibe at heart. If you break through enough, show them that you value them, then you will get it. Hopefully. And if you don't, you have a community here that loves helping others, that loves sharing knowledge and learning from our mistakes. We love helping you succeed, because when you do, we all do. Theres the old saying: A champion team will beat a team of champions. Every. Single. Time  ;D

tahmina

• Forum Regular
« Reply #114 on: July 22, 2016, 05:20:25 pm »
thats okay, i will try my best to meet those requirements ahahah ! thank youuuuuuuu

tahmina

• Forum Regular
« Reply #115 on: July 22, 2016, 05:30:34 pm »
hey pals, I've resached the 35 post requirement, would i be able to get further feedback before i print this essay out please!

jamonwindeyer

• Honorary Moderator
« Reply #116 on: July 23, 2016, 11:23:02 am »
hey pals, I've resached the 35 post requirement, would i be able to get further feedback before i print this essay out please!

Hey again Tahmina! You certainly can  ;D

Spoiler
It is difficult to experience a discovery without being transformed by its ramifications. The impact of discoveries, whatever aspect or shape they make take, will undoubtedly transform the discoverer and consequently the wider society around them. Australian playwright Michael Gow’s ‘Away’ and Joshua Weigel short film ‘The Butterfly Circus’ explore the transformative and revelatory nature of discovery. These texts explore the underlying nature of self-discovery, and how it has a transformative effect on individuals, ultimately leading to a greater depth of self-awareness and empathy towards members of the wider society. Great introduction! Nice and conceptual, you could add a list of the themes you will explore in the essay, but besides that not much too fault!

The transformative nature of self-discovery is demonstrated through the mending of physical relationships, through reconciliation and communication. In Gow’s play the negative word “hate” used so frequently by Gwen depicts angry nature at the start of the play, further implying to her unawareness of her own self at that time. Gow alerts the audience to Gwen’s assumptions about the wider society through the first person ‘I’ juxtaposed with the noun ‘people’. Excellent analytical approach here. Gow’s anaphoric and truncated sentence ‘it was money, it was bread, work’ emphasizes their harsh reality of their past, Gow effectively shows their transformative nature compared to their past, successfully enabling us to speculate about future possibilities. Excellent. Gow’s use of personal pronoun of ‘us’ in ‘for all of us’ reaffirms Gwen’s spiritual connection with her family, as Gow confidently evaluates their hidden emotions towards each other. You don't need both of those quotes, just use one, either will work by itself. This enables the audience to realise the importance of communication when re-discovering themselves to renew perceptions of others and themselves. Great link to greater concept. Gow’s effective use of irony through the negative connotation words such as ‘snide’ and ‘rude’ depicts Gwen’s behaviour, and lack of personal insight, highlighting the dangers of self-delusion and adherence to false values. The irony puts the audience in an uncomfortable place as they witness her rudeness to her daughter. This also allows us to see the process of challenges and curiosity which affect a person’s self-discovery. Thus it is clear Gows effective techniques explore the notion of relationships challenging and renewing perceptions of others and our selves. The only comment I'd have about this paragraph is maintaining your conceptual focus, I don't feel your introductory sentence follows through the rest (good example, your intro and conclusion don't match up).

Similar to chaos in life, many discoveries made by individuals are sudden and unexpected. This instigates the process of self-reflection and awareness in both texts. In Gows play ‘away’ the use of exaggeration in the negative connotation ‘burst’ in “my heads about to burst” is reminiscent of the first steps to Gwen’s self-discovery and re-discovering something that has been lost.  Again, don't need both quotes. Gows explicitness through the negative connotation allows the audience to see the heartfelt emotions, which deepens the understanding of the concept of discovery. Be a bit more specific, what understanding do we gain? Through the end of the play, Gows use of soft alliteration in ‘come down to the water, the water is so warm’ conveys Gwen’s nurturing attitude towards her relationships. The symbolism of the water connects the motif of water towards her self-discovery, thus being reflective of cleansing and healing the soul. Good. Through this the audience is able to see the nature of unexpected discoveries and the distinguishing factors, which lead to a persons self-discovery. Similarly in the butterfly circus the visual imagery of the butterfly creates an illusion of the positive and spiritual change that renews Will’s perceptions of life. What does the audience learn? Weigel’s juxtaposed symbolism of long shot of the road suggests a journey to a new life. This effectively compels his inability to make physical change and to re discover his strengths. The change of lighting compelled on Will with the contrast of light to dark, reinforces the darkness in his life. We've shifted back too text focused here, what does the audience learn about the concept of unexpected discoveries? Weigel successfully conveys to the audience the positive internal change, rather than the external change to create hope in ones life. The frequent change in diegetic music becomes confronting when the community ‘mocks’ Will for his disability. Good audience inclusion. The close up shot of Mendez’s face is provocative as he is disgusted by the reaction of the community juxtaposed with the close up of Wills face evaluates the tangible nature of his heartfelt emotions. Slight expression issues. Mendez becomes a character that helps Will overcome his fears and to ‘follow his dreams’, the long shot of the circus gives a clear indication of Wills self-discovery leading to new worlds and values. Through the effectiveness of both composers techniques it is clear self-discovery is merely sudden and unexpected. A better job of maintaining your conceptual focus in this paragraph here, but still could be improved.

One’s discovery can vary according to the different personal and social contexts in which the individual is able to experience them. In ‘Away” the wilderness beach settings symbolizes the negative attitude and possessions being washed away, their isolation on the beach prompts introspection and questioning their previous relationships. Gows driven symbolism allows the audience to take on new experiences and perceptions, and explore new discoveries within themselves. The effective symbolism of the Fire, when there all near a fire camp depicts a new start as there past has been washed away. This enhances the audiences understanding of the ramifications and that change is a progress, which leads to new discoveries. Gows symbolism of ‘Burnt” acknowledges their renewal perceptions of themselves and others.I'd like some more techniques in that first part of the paragraph, all you had was symbolism, variety is important! Similarly in ‘The butterfly Circus’ Weigel’s flashback establishes each characters personal discovery and their inability of transforming being washed away. Thus effectively portrays their transformative self-nature compared to there past. What does the audience learn in general? The symbolism of the water represents the cleansing rebirth to wills transformation, effectively conveying the physical and emotional self-discovery he has accomplished. Weigel explicitly conveys meaning and heartfelt emotions through the voyage of the water to deepen the human understanding of physical discovery through challenges and reconciliation. Thus it is clear to re-discover yourself you are to challenge and affirm your human experiences in order to transform. A bit more audience involvement would benefit this paragraph, but a good conceptual focus.

Discovery can encompass the experience of discovering something, which will impact themselves and the wider society. Through the authentic techniques used by both director and playwright highlights the human nature of reality and the ramifications, which differ from different perspectives. They underline the notion of discovery to stimulate a profound response upon the audience whilst portraying the notion of ramifications. Nice conclusion, succinct but effective.

Not too many comments Tahmina, this essay is great!! Great structure and excellent textual knowledge on show. A very analytical approach (no retell), with excellent explanations of the intent of that technique. I'd like to see a few polishes; more variety in techniques and a bit more thought given to consider the impact of the audience more consistently, but on the whole you do this really well.

The other thing I'd mention: The first sentence in your paragraph is like a contract. It is saying to the marker, you WILL discuss this thing(s), and consider them throughout the paragraph. In the first and second paragraph you don't quite fulfil this contract, you go a little off track from what you initially state. In the first paragraph this is most obvious, because your conclusion and intro don't match. Ensure that the paragraph ends on the same note/theme that it started, it shows that you've not gone off track.

A few little comments throughout, but on the whole, this is a great response Tahmina, good on you for working so hard to improve it!!  ;D ;D ;D

Alalamc

• Adventurer
  • School: Leumeah High
« Reply #117 on: July 23, 2016, 04:57:24 pm »
Hi once again! Can you please let me know where I am with this essay! :)  Last time I was given advice to make my ideas clearer I feel like the 3rd paragraph in particular is letting me down I don't know what to do with it for improvement.
A Short History of Nearly Everything
Discovery varies with historical, cultural and social contexts; however it is nevertheless educed through one’s idiosyncratic wonder and necessity of wider circumstances.  Anglo-American author; Bill Bryson’s scientific memoir; A Short History of Nearly Everything ASHONE and Malala Yousafzai’s outspoken autobiography I Am Malala IAM divulges in the provocative and confronting impacts of discovery, which affirm and further challenge individual and social beliefs through world innovations.  Such innovations are disinterred through culture, modernity and renewed social and behavioural contexts.
The rejuvenation of cultural tradition holds vast ideological changes which yield enriching future possibilities.  ASHONE accentuates American scientific culture as a medium in which discoveries are both supressed and stimulated in regard to religious controversy. Sparking uncomfortable cultural implications, Bryson’s intertextual representation of American Palaeontologist’s George Cuvier’s formal theory of extinctions is a metaphorical means of ‘provocative new world findings’ prompting confronting ‘ideological wonder’ in contemporary society. Such findings “heightened moral awkwardness regarding extinctions… contrary to the Great Chain of Being”. The scientific satire and absurdist play between the juxtaposition of religion and conflicting scientific progress challenges whether a significant discovery is one that defies pre-determined tradition or the ability to risk beneficial new concepts, instead enhancing the known. Subjectively through the robust application of realism, Bryson posits ‘todays powerhouse’; America’s decision of religion over ‘scientific elevation’, idiomatically as a ‘chance…wasted’. _____________ (CRITICAL QUOTE) ___________. Thus cultural context acts as a lens through which one’s idiosyncratic wonder and necessity of wider circumstances affirm or challenge the acceptance of progressive world innovations.
Similarly, Yousafzai proffer’s the beneficial implementation of western commercialism in regards to cultural stigmas associated with education in Pakistan.  IAM publically focalises the essential role, purpose and functional power of education, intellectually, over traditional values of Swat, positing the confronting necessity for the ‘threatening application of propitious western principles’. Such paradoxical values inferred through hyperbole deem traditional society’s provocative recognition of ‘western revelations’ figuratively as ‘inauspicious and threatening’. Aiming to portray that intellectual discovery encompasses the collective contribution of society, Yousafzai emotively represents the contributions of her father; Ziauddin and his politics as a way of effectuating power to benefit the ‘hierarchical position of women within Swat’. Ziauddin’s accumulation of diplomatic power is in response to fight for a progressing intellectual revolution, one which caters beneficial modern directions that tradition has overlooked. Ultimately making public, the discovery of the importance of education in shaping ones status and personal value, Ziauddin metaphorically eludes education as a cherishment, personifying educational concepts as a right to everyone, providing as an auxiliary to the purpose of IAM. ‘Education is education, it is neither western nor is it Eastern, it is human”. Through the semantic study of emotive language and contemporary tone, Yousafzai foreshadows the effects and necessity of intellectual discovery, enhancing ones perception to speculate on future possibilities and revelation that overcoming traditional values can deter. Hence Yousafzai represents the intellectual discovery of beneficial western culture; education, as a collective social contribution, one which brings revolutionary cultural change.
Societies social and behavioural motives influence the growth of human perception and in turn wonder. Bryson recounts such juxtaposed perspective of the Australian society, in particular the endeavours of modern Australian discover; Robert Evans in contrast to the 1936 thylacine extinction. The application of semantic and semiotic study of positive retrospective connotations and coloured language, Bryson proffers Evan as an individual ‘proactively’ undertaking the ‘simplest pleasures of discovery’ regardless of societies ‘technological progression’. Moreover, Bryson utilises non-fiction scientific memoir to reflect the physical acts of discovery as a parallel for psychological and emotional joys of “old ways”.  Moreover, the juxtaposed portrayal of Evan as a ‘amateur supernovae finder with an international representation’, substantiates ASHONE central context that discoverers range from ‘brilliant scientists to keen amateur to local peasants’ and that it discovery is dependant rather on one ‘disconnections rather connections” with society that create meaningful personal discoveries. Conversely Bryson parodies the Australian 1936 social context and values as proffered through plosive language in the exclamatory sentence ‘last surviving thylacine was thrown out with the weekly trash’. The farcical representation not only develops pathos, but this level of tentative understanding of social development suggests social and political behaviour greatly influences the nature of knowledge and discovery.

Thus, the value of discovery is determinant on the congruence of the discovery with accepted knowledge, which alters in society of the course of time; however, the discovery itself is shaped through wonder and necessity of wider circumstances.  Such discoveries bring with them the affirmation and negation of personal or social beliefs through culture, modernity and the renewed context of society, to which ASHONE and IAM are a testament to.

Aliceyyy98

• Trailblazer
  • School: Willoughby Girls High School
« Reply #118 on: July 23, 2016, 06:10:05 pm »
Hi, sorry for keep asking questions, I'm too good at English :(

going on from my other question about number of poems, can we discuss two in detail and mention the third to support main ideas?

jamie anderson

• Adventurer
« Reply #119 on: July 23, 2016, 10:45:13 pm »
Hey i just wrote up some GBTWYCF paragraphs to the question discovers can be confronting and provocative, to what extent is this true of your study of Discovery

The confronting and provoking nature of discoveries shape the responder leading to acceptance and renewed values towards the issue. Within “Go Back To Where You Came From”, Raye is seen to accept the confronting reality of refugee’s and consequently accepting the reasons for why the go on a boat. She is seen reflecting on Dao’s words “ it certainly isn’t living” in Kakuma, where the producers play a montage with a voiceover of melodramatic music to help extend Raye’s reflection onto responders. Furthermore, the montage also consists of a series of images attempting to evoke sympathy and reason within both participants and audience. Thus, it is clear that Raye has underwent significant transformative change of character throughout the documentary, where emotional, spiritual and physical discovers have helped renew her perspective on the issue. Likewise, the producers use a close up shot to highlight Darren’s reflection on the issue, where “ Despite my harsh response.. I am emotionally affected, it has had a profound effect on me personally and spiritually” the close up shot reveals the finest nuances of expression, where Darren is portrayed to be in a deeply emotional state. Such that, Darren’s discoveries had confronted his opinions cause him to undergo an evolution of character illustrating his acceptance and renewed values. The participants renewed perspectives and values on the refugee crisis elucidates the confronting and provoking nature of discovery to generate new ideas about how we relate to the world.

AND

The process of discovery can be confronting and provocative leading to new perspectives. O’Mahoney’s “Go Back To Where You Came From (Episdode1)” introduces each participant through indirect interviews and cut scenes to reveal their own political/ideological stance on the issue of refugee migrants. Raye’s experiences within the documentary can be juxtaposed with her original perspective “serve you bastards right” versus her new perspective post Malaysian raid, where she doesn’t “call that criminal”. The use of close ups, action music and various camera angles help convey the confronting and provocative nature of discovery. The change in Raye’s perspective demonstrates the process of discovery and how confrontation alters her own opinion and offers a new perspectives. Furthermore, Adam is seen to undergo significant transformative change as a consequence of confronting and provocative discoveries. The planned journey in episode 1 reveals Adam’s opinion where “ we are spending millions of dollars housing these criminals” which is contrasted with his opinion in Episode 4 “ the people who touched me the most was the ASF Hospital”. The categorisation of refugees from criminals to people within his speech demonstrates the confronting and provocative nature of discovery. Through the use of high to low camera angles to capture the shift in Adam’s opinions, the documentary demonstrates the process of Adam’s change as his own ignorance of the issue is diminished through his confronting discoveries allowing for a new perspective. Thus, the process of discovery can be seen to confront and provoke responders and lead to new perspectives.

Thanks!