Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

May 20, 2024, 05:52:58 am

Author Topic: English Standard Question Thread  (Read 210284 times)  Share 

Gkumar

• Fresh Poster
  • Respect: 0
Re: English Standard Question Thread
« Reply #525 on: February 02, 2018, 04:55:14 pm »
How would you like introduce your related text? I'm doing an advertisement

fantasticbeasts3

• NSW MVP - 2018
  • HSC Moderator
  • Part of the furniture
  • Im Moment studiere ich kein Deutsch :-(
  • Respect: +864
« Reply #526 on: February 02, 2018, 05:25:55 pm »
+3
How would you like introduce your related text? I'm doing an advertisement

hi! is this for an introduction or body paragraph?

when introducing related texts in your introduction, do it like your prescribed text. something like Similarly, in the advertisement (name), shows (concept of module). the text type of your related doesn't change the way you write - it just changes the way you analyse something, because you're looking for different things.

when introducing related texts in your body paragraphs, it's just like any other module essay you've written. :-) you'd write something like this: Similar to (prescribed text), (related text) shows (concept you're going to talk about). or While (prescribed text) shows (concept you're going to talk about), (related text) does (another concept).

hope this helps!
HSC 2017: English (Standard) // Mathematics // Modern History // Legal Studies // Business Studies
2018-2022: B International Studies/B Media (PR & Advertising) @ UNSW

hebaakhann

• Adventurer
  • Respect: +1
Re: English Standard Question Thread: Ask Us Anything!
« Reply #527 on: February 02, 2018, 08:54:15 pm »
hey just a question about the exams in general; what is the best way to prepare an essay for an exam without wrote learning?

elysepopplewell

• HSC Lecturer
  • Honorary Moderator
  • ATAR Notes Legend
  • "Hey little fighter, soon it will be brighter."
  • Respect: +970
« Reply #528 on: February 05, 2018, 02:53:26 pm »
+4
hey just a question about the exams in general; what is the best way to prepare an essay for an exam without wrote learning?

I think there's a few things to consider when it comes to preparing for essays:
1. You need to know your text really well. As in, you need to understand the whoooole thing, the way it all works together. Maybe you've only studied a few scenes or sections in detail, but you need to understand the way these tie together with the other parts you don't know so well. You'll be able to talk far more confidently about the text this way.
2. You need to memorise quotes - no getting around this, you need to judiciously select the quotes, then you need to be able to accurate call upon them in an essay.
3. You need to understand how the text represents these ideas. What techniques are at play and how exactly do they work? For each quote - it shouldn't just be quote, technique, analysis, in your mind. You should be flexible enough to draw out a few different ideas from each quote to be able to mould your evidence to the specific essay question.

Then, planning or writing practice essays in either dot points or full essays is really helpful to help you feel more confident in changing your essays to suit the question - which is essentially where memorising essays in full can let you down!
Not sure how to navigate around ATAR Notes? Check out this video!

headsup

• Forum Obsessive
  • Respect: +53
« Reply #529 on: February 06, 2018, 09:47:40 pm »
Hey,
I am doing a book called 'Mistaken Identity: Two Families, One Survivor, Unwavering Hope" for my english folio related text.
Basically a bunch of uni kids are involved in an accident. 5 are killed. 1 is seriously hurt (V unstable). The parents and siblings of the survivor sit with her day and night for 5 weeks only to find as she was recovering that she was not the person they thought she was. She was the daughter of a couple who 5 weeks before had buried who they thought was there daughter.... however, it was not so. the true identity of the survivor comes to light and the rolls of mourning and hoping are reversed....
I am needing help with the type of discovery present in the story....
Thanks in advance

PS. sorry about the waffle.... pretty bad for my first post  :( :o
So close to the end!!!!
MY SCHEDULE
18th - English P1
19th - English P2
25th - Mathematics
29th - Modern History
30th - Mathematics extension one
2nd - Business Studies
7th - Economics
9th - D&T
10th - DONE!!!
14th - Turn 18!!
15th - green P's!

Opengangs

• New South Welsh
  • Forum Leader
  • \(\mathbb{O}_\mathbb{G}\)
  • Respect: +480
« Reply #530 on: February 06, 2018, 09:58:03 pm »
+3
Hey,
I am doing a book called 'Mistaken Identity: Two Families, One Survivor, Unwavering Hope" for my english folio related text.
Basically a bunch of uni kids are involved in an accident. 5 are killed. 1 is seriously hurt (V unstable). The parents and siblings of the survivor sit with her day and night for 5 weeks only to find as she was recovering that she was not the person they thought she was. She was the daughter of a couple who 5 weeks before had buried who they thought was there daughter.... however, it was not so. the true identity of the survivor comes to light and the rolls of mourning and hoping are reversed....
I am needing help with the type of discovery present in the story....
Thanks in advance

PS. sorry about the waffle.... pretty bad for my first post  :( :o
Hey, headsup!

That's a pretty cool idea. Although I haven't read the book, I can definitely sense an emotional and spiritual discovery happening in terms of the daughter not being the daughter whom everyone originally thought. That, to me, also rings bells for renewed perspectives and new experiences. There is definitely a feeling of curiosity, need, and wonder with the identity of the survivor. The unexpected nature of discovery comes from the accident, and it becomes the main catalyst that is followed by a series of mini-discoveries that were mentioned.

Hopefully, this was helpful to you in helping you get started.

headsup

• Forum Obsessive
« Reply #531 on: February 06, 2018, 10:02:14 pm »
Hey, headsup!

That's a pretty cool idea. Although I haven't read the book, I can definitely sense an emotional and spiritual discovery happening in terms of the daughter not being the daughter whom everyone originally thought. That, to me, also rings bells for renewed perspectives and new experiences. There is definitely a feeling of curiosity, need, and wonder with the identity of the survivor. The unexpected nature of discovery comes from the accident, and it becomes the main catalyst that is followed by a series of mini-discoveries that were mentioned.

Hopefully, this was helpful to you in helping you get started.

Hey Opengangs,
Thanks for the speedy reply. Much appreciated. I will post when I am finished if someone could look over it for me....
Thanks again.
So close to the end!!!!
MY SCHEDULE
18th - English P1
19th - English P2
25th - Mathematics
29th - Modern History
2nd - Business Studies
7th - Economics
9th - D&T
10th - DONE!!!
14th - Turn 18!!
15th - green P's!

headsup

• Forum Obsessive
« Reply #532 on: February 06, 2018, 10:04:12 pm »
hello again,   ;)
I have already posted this in another forum in my ignorance..... i am guessing this is the best place.
i am wanting some comments on this response for my related text as part of a folio
Spoiler
Discoveries can be sudden and unexpected, with their provocative nature leading to profound renewing of our perceptions of our world. This confronting nature of discoveries through an unexpected revealing is explored in Markus Zusak’s book ‘The book thief’ and Robert Frost poetry ‘Stopping by Woods on a Snowy Evening. ‘The book thief’ is set in Nazi Germany during World War Two. It depicts the life of a young German girl Liesel Meminger and her foster parents as they struggle with everyday challenges of life in war stricken Germany. The struggles are seen through ‘did he bend down and embrace his foster daughter, as he wanted to? … not exactly… he slapped Liesel Meminger’ which employs binary opposites of the ‘embrace’ and ‘slapped’ showing how a discovery of the true meaning of an aspect of our lives can lead to a vivid contrast in our perceptions of the world and how we respond to the events of our lives’. Similarly, to the way in which Hans (the father) discoveries his true feeling about his foster daughter, Liesel discoveries the truth about herself and her family. The line ‘ ‘Did the Führer take her way?’ The question surprised them both’ uses an allegory showing how as the girl travels on this path of discovery the truth she reveals is not only shocking for those around her and us as the audience but also for the girl herself as she struggles to realise the reality of her world. The extended metaphor of the surprise represents the provocative nature of a discovery how this unexpected discovery leads to renewed perceptions of our world. The unexpected nature of discoveries is further explored in the book with ‘it would be easy to say that he was just a tall man sitting poor-postured and shattered on some church steps’ symbolising to us the devastation war can cause and how the provocative nature of a discovery can lead to an emotional and spiritual insight into those around us and our world. Throughout ‘The book thief’ Zusak portrays to us as the audience how the confronting nature of living in a war stricken country can lead to discoveries and renewed perceptions of our world.
In a similar Frost explores the provocative nature of unexpected discoveries, however contrastingly to Zusak we see how the persona rejects this impetus opposed to discovery something new. The allure of discovery is explored in ‘the only other sound’s the sweep of easy wind and downy flake’ where long vowel sounds slow the pace of the poem to explore the allure. The conjunction of ‘but’ in the following sentence revels the rejection of the impetus to discovery and moves swiftly to a new idea halting the personas contemplation. This contrasts to ‘the book thief’ where Liesel accepts the discovery leading to renewed perceptions of her world will Frost’s persona rejects this discovery ultimately rejecting renewed perceptions on there world. As the audience, we experience the different possibilities of discovery how the acceptance of a discovery regardless of it’s sudden, unexpected and provocative nature will lead to renewed perceptions of our world.
So close to the end!!!!
MY SCHEDULE
18th - English P1
19th - English P2
25th - Mathematics
29th - Modern History
2nd - Business Studies
7th - Economics
9th - D&T
10th - DONE!!!
14th - Turn 18!!
15th - green P's!

gilliesb18

• Trendsetter
« Reply #533 on: February 07, 2018, 02:13:18 pm »
Hello!
Just wondering if anyone could help me out with the key discovery ideas in the challenger discovery?? I'm saying its a self-discovery and relating it to 'the tuft of flowers'... Any ideas???? this is the text here...
http://teachingamericanhistory.org/library/document/speech-on-the-challenger-disaster/

any ideas are appreciated!!!

kaylat

• Adventurer
« Reply #534 on: February 07, 2018, 04:49:37 pm »
+4
Hey!
Good choice of text! Don't know if this will help but here are some ideas on the nature of the discovery in this speech:

- The speech exposes the power of humans constantly endeavouring in their passion to break social barriers
- The discovery within this speech has many sides to it (so its not just limited to self)
- On one hand the speech is confronting but it also explores the idea that the human race can use this moment in history to rally together, learn from the past and to overcome the disaster to move onwards in their explorations

It will link well to 'Tuft Of Flowers' as you can talk about themes of human fellowship and brotherhood uplifting and rejuvinating individuals.
ATVVB!!

jamonwindeyer

• Honorary Moderator
  • Great Wonder of ATAR Notes
  • The lurker from the north.
  • Respect: +3108
« Reply #535 on: February 07, 2018, 05:37:28 pm »
Hey!
Good choice of text! Don't know if this will help but here are some ideas on the nature of the discovery in this speech:

- The speech exposes the power of humans constantly endeavouring in their passion to break social barriers
- The discovery within this speech has many sides to it (so its not just limited to self)
- On one hand the speech is confronting but it also explores the idea that the human race can use this moment in history to rally together, learn from the past and to overcome the disaster to move onwards in their explorations

It will link well to 'Tuft Of Flowers' as you can talk about themes of human fellowship and brotherhood uplifting and rejuvinating individuals.
ATVVB!!

Welcome to the forums!! What an awesome first post ;D

gilliesb18

• Trendsetter
« Reply #536 on: February 07, 2018, 09:27:14 pm »
HELP!!!!!! I need to know what technique is used in the following phrase:
(from the tuft of flowers....)
'And feel a spirit kindred to my own;   
So that henceforth I worked no more alone'
Please just anyone reply with anything that would work!!!!!

headsup

• Forum Obsessive
« Reply #537 on: February 07, 2018, 09:32:43 pm »

jst an uneducated guess:

Epiphany
Originating from the Greek word epipaneia, an epiphany describes the moment when a character suddenly achieves realisation or awareness that brings clarity to a particular situation.

So close to the end!!!!
MY SCHEDULE
18th - English P1
19th - English P2
25th - Mathematics
29th - Modern History
2nd - Business Studies
7th - Economics
9th - D&T
10th - DONE!!!
14th - Turn 18!!
15th - green P's!

kaylat

• Adventurer
« Reply #538 on: February 07, 2018, 09:36:48 pm »
+4

For the line "And feel a spirit kindred to my own/So that henceforth I worked no more alone" this may help:
- Metaphoric as they are speaking only through their souls and highlights a spiritual connection to the man gone before him
- Familial speech
- The persona and the man gone before are connected in an intimate way (on a spiritual level)
- This is really when the persona begins to make his discovery and his despondent musing begin to change from ones of doubt to ones of uplifted vibrancy

Not sure if that helps?!

headsup

• Forum Obsessive
« Reply #539 on: February 07, 2018, 09:39:33 pm »
my turn now...
I need help with techniques linking to this image and Robert Frost poetry....
http://lgimages.s3.amazonaws.com/data/imagemanager/50115/the_histrionoic_wayfarer_by_tim_storrier.jpg
So close to the end!!!!
MY SCHEDULE
18th - English P1
19th - English P2
25th - Mathematics
29th - Modern History
2nd - Business Studies
7th - Economics
9th - D&T
10th - DONE!!!
14th - Turn 18!!