Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

May 31, 2024, 06:59:14 pm

Author Topic: HSC Studies of Religion Question Thread  (Read 280394 times)  Share 

zaayxo

• Adventurer
  • Respect: 0
Re: Studies of Religion Question Thread
« Reply #135 on: October 05, 2016, 12:09:25 pm »
Mabo, Wik and Native Title? I don't understand it honestly

ssarahj

• ATAR Notes NSW MVP - 2016
  • Forum Obsessive
  • seek the full depth and height of life.
  • Respect: +18
« Reply #136 on: October 05, 2016, 12:40:20 pm »
+3
Mabo, Wik and Native Title? I don't understand it honestly

I totally understand, I was really confused about this when I first learnt it too! Let me try and lay out the content for you:

Mabo is the general term used to talk the Merian peoples' (a Indigenous group in the Murray Islands) fight to have their traditional land rights recognised by the Australian government, which was led by a man named Eddie Mabo.
So in 1992 = The High Court decided that the Merian people continued to have traditional rights to possess and live on most lands of Mer
first recognition of traditional land rights. So this was awesome because it was the legal rejection of 'terra nullius' which is a major deal in terms of the Land Rights Movement.
Then in 1993 = The Australian Parliament passed the Native Title Act 1993. This basically said that Indigenous people could claim traditional rights however this can’t prevail over freehold title (so it wasn't completely awesome).

Wik is the general term used to talk about the Wik peoples' (an Aboriginal group in Cape York, QLD) fight to have their native title rights recognised and they argued that pastoral leases (farming etc.) didn't extinguish their traditional ownership.
argued that pastoral leases didn’t extinguish native title rights
So in 1996 = The High Court judged that Native Title could co-exist with pastoral leases, however pastoralists rights prevailed
But the Australian government began amending the Native Title Act, leading to Howard’s Ten Point Plan
Then in 1998 = Native Title Amendment Act 1998 was passed which abolished the right of Native Title claimants to negotiate for government owned land and this was replaced with the right to be consulted only. This was a massive step back in the Land Rights Movement and even breached the Racial Discrimination Act 1975.

Native Title is a legal term given by the High Court of Australia to Indigenous Property Rights. It was first handed down in the Mabo decision of 1992. 'Native Title' only legally exists where continuous connection with the land has been maintained (which can be extremely hard to prove, especially for some Indigenous people who don't have physical records of their ancestors). So that means that only 3-4% of Indigenous population can even attempt to claim land rights.

Let me know if I haven't actually answered your question, but hopefully this helps :) :)
HSC 2016: SOR 2, Adv. English, Ext. 1 English, Chemistry, 2U Maths, Hospitality
6th in NSW for SOR 2

ATAR: 97.00

2017: B Nutrition & Dietetics @ University of Newcastle

zaayxo

• Adventurer
« Reply #137 on: October 05, 2016, 12:58:57 pm »
You sure have Sarah thanks a bunch!

marynguyen18

• Trendsetter
  • School: Cerdon College
  • School Grad Year: 2016
« Reply #138 on: October 06, 2016, 12:08:06 pm »
i was just curious on what exactly in Reconciliation and what are some examples of it?

ssarahj

• Forum Obsessive
« Reply #139 on: October 06, 2016, 12:22:19 pm »
+2
i was just curious on what exactly in Reconciliation and what are some examples of it?

Hey marynguyen18!

Reconciliation is a process involving the recognition of past wrong-doings involved in the destruction of Aboriginal spirituality. So basically its trying to mend the relationship between Indigenous and non-Indigenous Australians, that was obviously damaged by the terrible treatment of Aboriginal people upon the European colonisation of Australia (e.g. dispossession and the Stolen Generations).

The syllabus requires you to know about what different religious traditions are doing to help reconciliation. So a few examples include:
Christianity - In 2001, Pope John Paul II formally apologised on behalf of Catholic Church for the role of Christian missions in the Stolen Generations.
Judaism - In 2000, the Executive Council of the Australian Jewry lobbied the Australian government to implement recommendations of the 'Bringing Them Home' Report.

As you might have gathered, examples for this section can be hard to find, and quite outdated if you ask me, however the ones above should get you through  :)
6th in NSW for SOR 2

marynguyen18

• Trendsetter
« Reply #140 on: October 06, 2016, 01:49:16 pm »
thank you so much ssarahj

studybuddy7777

• Forum Leader
  • Respect: +16
« Reply #141 on: October 06, 2016, 03:58:07 pm »
Anyone doing baptism for christianity? Need some help in regards to the significance for the individual and comm. as well as (because they are most likely to do an integrated response this year. Yay  :-\) some links between it Paul of Tarsus and Bioethics? Cheers.

Also if anyone has notes on Rabi'a Al-Addiwiyya (i know what youre thinking, whos her :P) that would also be great. Sure we are the only school in NSW doing Rabi'a as our sig. person (ISLAM)

ssarahj

• Forum Obsessive
« Reply #142 on: October 06, 2016, 04:34:28 pm »
+2
Anyone doing baptism for christianity? Need some help in regards to the significance for the individual and comm. as well as (because they are most likely to do an integrated response this year. Yay  :-\) some links between it Paul of Tarsus and Bioethics? Cheers.

Also if anyone has notes on Rabi'a Al-Addiwiyya (i know what youre thinking, whos her :P) that would also be great. Sure we are the only school in NSW doing Rabi'a as our sig. person (ISLAM)

For baptism I have a few points I can share :)

Individual:
- for most denominations that practice paedo-baptism (e.g. Catholic and Anglican Church) it marks the beginning of a relationship with God
- for Catholics baptism grants the adherent eternal life and salvation
- the ceremony itself is a dedication to God and gives thanks for Jesus' death and resurrection
- for denominations where credo-baptism is practiced (e.g. Seventh Day Adventist Church) it cements a relationship with God which is deepened through bible study and prayer
- grants the adherent with formal church membership and a sense of belonging to the church community

Community:
- brings the church community together in worship
- reminds each person that witnesses the event to reflect on their own baptism and recommit to God
- involves the community in the raising of the child to have strong Christian values

In terms of linking the three aspects together, often the beliefs and core notions of Christianity (learnt in the Prelim course) are good to focus on to connect everything. I can't think of anything specific off the top of my head though.

I don't have any notes on Rabi'a Al-Addiwiyya but hopefully someone will jump in and be able to help you out soon  :D

6th in NSW for SOR 2

maccasgirl

• Adventurer
  • School: St Pat's
  • School Grad Year: 2017
« Reply #143 on: October 06, 2016, 06:32:42 pm »
Hey!

I do SOR 2 and I struggle with the core HSC topic 'Religion and Peace'. I was wondering if anybody has or can direct me to some helpful study notes on this topic.

Thanks!

elysepopplewell

• HSC Lecturer
  • Honorary Moderator
  • ATAR Notes Legend
  • "Hey little fighter, soon it will be brighter."
  • Respect: +970
« Reply #144 on: October 06, 2016, 10:40:55 pm »
Hey!

I do SOR 2 and I struggle with the core HSC topic 'Religion and Peace'. I was wondering if anybody has or can direct me to some helpful study notes on this topic.

Thanks!

Which are your chosen religions for Religion and Peace? We don't seem to have any online, although we do have Christianity and Islam covered in the notes in the "shop" tab - but if time is of the essence, I can try find some online sources for you. Just let me know what traditions! :)
Not sure how to navigate around ATAR Notes? Check out this video!

nibblez16

• Forum Regular
  • School: Liverpool Girls
« Reply #145 on: October 07, 2016, 01:13:14 pm »
How do we figure out which religion we would want to write about in the long essay and then the short answers?

jamonwindeyer

• Honorary Moderator
  • Great Wonder of ATAR Notes
  • The lurker from the north.
  • Respect: +3108
« Reply #146 on: October 07, 2016, 01:21:37 pm »
How do we figure out which religion we would want to write about in the long essay and then the short answers?

Normally you would do whichever you are more confident with in the essay! For example, I wrote about Islam way better than Christianity, so I always did that for my essay :) it does depend slightly on the question, but in general, pick your stronger tradition for the essay!! :)

tahmina

• Forum Regular
« Reply #147 on: October 07, 2016, 04:29:33 pm »
how did you guys revise for religion?

jamonwindeyer

• Honorary Moderator
  • Great Wonder of ATAR Notes
  • The lurker from the north.
  • Respect: +3108
« Reply #148 on: October 07, 2016, 04:42:47 pm »
how did you guys revise for religion?

Lots of past papers and practice essays!! This was pretty much all I did, maybe with some extra brainstorms on the side. Practice makes perfect! ;D

marynguyen18

• Trendsetter
« Reply #149 on: October 07, 2016, 09:13:25 pm »
With the 20 mark essay is there a particular structure that we have to follow to ensure we get 20/20?