Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

May 16, 2024, 04:39:11 am

Author Topic: Studying in Year 12  (Read 29039 times)  Share 

paulsterio

• ATAR Notes Legend
  • I <3 2SHAN
  • Respect: +430
Re: Studying in Year 12
« Reply #120 on: June 26, 2012, 08:31:51 pm »
+1
Yeah of course that's true, but school plays a big part in it as well, considering we spend about 7 hours at school every day from about the age of 5 till the age of 17-18.

Russ

• Honorary Moderator
  • Great Wonder of ATAR Notes
  • Respect: +661
« Reply #121 on: June 26, 2012, 09:28:24 pm »
I don't think the difference between private/public in terms of 'real world' exposure is a fraction of what they'll get at home though, so time spent there is kinda meh

Jenny_2108

« Reply #122 on: July 01, 2012, 08:21:40 pm »
Yeah, that's what I was trying to get at before, the fact that it doesn't represent an accurate snapshot of society. In some ways, I guess MHS/Private Schools have that "groomed for success" sort of feel about them.

I went to a good local public school, the environment was friendly as well, and of course there was no bullying, but there were the occasional fights and stuff, but generally it was amicable as well, but it's a different environment because not so many people cared so much about success, there were heaps of people who didn't (which isn't a bad thing). But apart from that it was a much more diverse cohort then I guess what you would find at MHS or private schools. The cohort as well balanced, many different people from different backgrounds, people who were high achievers, people who were lower achievers, people who had very different aspirations (unlike at MHS, where you mention most people have similar aspirations).

About no bullying, you are right. I dont see any at my school haha :P
But at a good local public school, "not so many people cared so much about success"? It depends. Because its a good school so there are many great students and they do care about success. At first, I didnt feel that and so enjoyed the friendliness then when my friends always ask about my SAC scores, I feel a bit annoyed. I studied at a private school before and it never happened to me. Especially in my Spesh class, they are really competitive and even care a single mark! The top students always wanna get full marks and they become upset if they get A+ but not 100%. I'm not as good as them so I feel less resentful lol. Not sure about MHS because I dont study there haha but yeah, the better schools you go, the more competitive