Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

May 29, 2024, 11:36:15 am

Author Topic: HSC Biology Question Thread  (Read 350536 times)  Share 

Aaron12038488

• Trendsetter
  • Respect: +2
Re: Biology Question Thread
« Reply #585 on: May 04, 2017, 07:44:26 pm »
are grasslands, deserts examples of biomes or ecosystems?

arunasva

• Forum Regular
  • Respect: +1
« Reply #586 on: May 13, 2017, 09:12:19 pm »
are grasslands, deserts examples of biomes or ecosystems?

certainly. Eco systems are everywhere. Your body is an ecosystem.
:3

sophiemacpherso

• Trailblazer
  • Respect: 0
« Reply #587 on: May 17, 2017, 09:46:34 pm »
Hey! How do I ace the 8 markers?? They encompass such a broad section of the syllabus and honestly they just intimidate me a lot ...

pikachu975

• Forum Obsessive
  • Stars and Bars
  • Respect: +45
« Reply #588 on: May 18, 2017, 09:41:06 pm »
+1
Hey! How do I ace the 8 markers?? They encompass such a broad section of the syllabus and honestly they just intimidate me a lot ...

Definitely write more than the page they provide but make sure all content you write relates to the question.
Don't just content dump.
PLAN OUT THE RESPONSE which will make your response coherent and logical which is REQUIRED to get 8/8 and make sure all parts link to the question.

Offering tutoring for Biology, Maths, Maths Ext 1, and Maths Ext 2.
Send me a message if interested!

2016 HSC (Accelerated):
// 2U Maths (97) // SOR 1 (48) //

2017 HSC:
// English Adv // Bio // Phys // 3U Maths // 4U Maths //

Goal: 99.9

samsclaire

• Adventurer
« Reply #589 on: June 06, 2017, 07:30:02 pm »
hi! can anyone please explain the difference between immunisation and vaccination? we were asked a question on it, and i just want to make sure i have it sorted. what i've got so far is:

vaccination: vaccine --> exposure --> immune response --> immunity
immunisation is the process of getting immunity, through an immune answer

is this right?

Diala

• Adventurer
« Reply #590 on: June 08, 2017, 06:50:13 pm »
What are your best study tips for bio? Do you think it's best to start re-learning the content from now? There's about 2 months until trials!

Thebarman

• Trendsetter
  • Gone fishing
  • Respect: +6
« Reply #591 on: June 08, 2017, 07:20:00 pm »
Hey guys, how would I go about answering this question if it was worth 8 marks?

Evaluate the effectiveness of quarantine in preventing the spread of plant and animal diseases into Australia or across regions of Australia.
“Before you judge a man, walk a mile in his shoes. After that who cares? He's a mile away and you've got his shoes!”
2017 HSC: Advance English, Mathematics, SORII, Biology, Business Studies, Modern History.
Atar: 92.05

jamonwindeyer

• Honorary Moderator
  • Great Wonder of ATAR Notes
  • The lurker from the north.
  • Respect: +3108
« Reply #592 on: June 08, 2017, 07:41:29 pm »
What are your best study tips for bio? Do you think it's best to start re-learning the content from now? There's about 2 months until trials!

Check out this Band 6 Bio Guide!!

Sorry guys, I'm definitely not a biologist - Would love for someone to help answer these questions ;D

pikachu975

• Forum Obsessive
  • Stars and Bars
  • Respect: +45
« Reply #593 on: June 10, 2017, 12:51:54 am »

Don't "re-learn" it because I'm sure you've learnt it already just go over your notes and revise. If you don't have any notes use someone's b6 notes and revise that then do past papers.

Read marking guidelines so you know what the general idea is of what to write for responses, i.e. learn mark allocation.

Do questions and hand it in to your teacher for feedback and improve <- most important one.

Offering tutoring for Biology, Maths, Maths Ext 1, and Maths Ext 2.
Send me a message if interested!

2016 HSC (Accelerated):
// 2U Maths (97) // SOR 1 (48) //

2017 HSC:
// English Adv // Bio // Phys // 3U Maths // 4U Maths //

Goal: 99.9

phebsh

• Forum Regular
  • Respect: +15
« Reply #594 on: June 12, 2017, 08:35:17 pm »
Hey, I'm struggling with this question on my assignment;
Produce a table for both the disease and the microflora imbalance using the following headings:
- name
- pathogen
- cause
- symptoms
- treatment

What I'm understanding is that a microflora imbalance causes a disease, so then how do I answer this question?
« Last Edit: June 12, 2017, 08:38:21 pm by phebsh »
2017 HSC
Advanced English ~ Advanced Mathematics ~ Biology ~ Business Studies ~ Legal Studies

phebsh

• Forum Regular
  • Respect: +15
« Reply #595 on: June 12, 2017, 08:44:35 pm »

Hey! We had a talk at school on how to prep for exams and the technique they gave us was to first finish your notes, then memorise your notes and finally do as many practice papers as you can.
2017 HSC
Advanced English ~ Advanced Mathematics ~ Biology ~ Business Studies ~ Legal Studies

samsclaire

• Adventurer
« Reply #596 on: June 12, 2017, 09:17:23 pm »
+1
Hey, I'm struggling with this question on my assignment;
Produce a table for both the disease and the microflora imbalance using the following headings:
- name
- pathogen
- cause
- symptoms
- treatment

What I'm understanding is that a microflora imbalance causes a disease, so then how do I answer this question?

hey! we did this a couple of weeks ago, as a research task, and one of the questions was:

"If the pathogen that causes candidiasis is in the body’s microflora all the time, explain why the disease is not always present, and describe the conditions under which the disease could develop.

Candida albicans is present in the body’s microflora already. However, it is kept in low numbers as the result of other microorganisms in the microflora. These low numbers mean that Candidiasis is unable to develop. However, if this balance is undermined or changed, than C. albicans could begin to multiply at a higher rate. As the balance (of microorganisms) would be changed, it could possibly be unable to control the growth of the pathogen. Eventually, this could allow the disease (Candidiasis) to develop."

basically, the pathogen/antigen is present in the body’s microflora, but it’s kept ‘under control’ so disease doesn’t develop; if that balance is changed (for whatever reason), the disease is free to develop. the microflora in the body (as a whole) doesn’t cause the disease. the pathogen does, and it just happens to exist in the microflora.

i don’t feel like i've explained this well, so feel free to ask again if this is just confusing you more!

bigsweetpotato2000

• Forum Regular
  • There shall be no boundaries to human endeavour-SH
  • Respect: +9
« Reply #597 on: June 13, 2017, 09:35:47 pm »
Heyyss!

Currently we are doing Epidemiological studies right now but there is large confusion between the terms Morbidity and Prevalence.

Morbidity is the number of ill at a given time, and morality is the number of deaths but I don't understand because the definition for prevalence is number of cases at a given time.....So are they different or the same or do they even have correlation?

Confused,
Sweetpotato Farms :D

jamesq

• Adventurer
« Reply #598 on: June 14, 2017, 11:56:25 am »
Hi, I have a question on Pasteur's experiment. Is there a reason why the flasks are not exposed to sunlight?
2017: Advanced English, 3U Maths, Biology, Chemistry, IPT

bethr

• Adventurer
« Reply #599 on: June 14, 2017, 06:49:56 pm »
Heyyss!

Currently we are doing Epidemiological studies right now but there is large confusion between the terms Morbidity and Prevalence.

Morbidity is the number of ill at a given time, and morality is the number of deaths but I don't understand because the definition for prevalence is number of cases at a given time.....So are they different or the same or do they even have correlation?

Confused,
Sweetpotato Farms :D

I think you mean mortality? And what it means by number of cases given at a time means that say, in 2016 there were 17,000 people with lung cancer in Australia. That would be its prevalence. Incidence, I know isn't relevant, but just to hopefully create a clearer understanding, is the number of NEW cases. So of those 17,000 people, 2,000 were diagnosed in that year. Essentially prevalence: total at one time Incidence: Newly diagnosed.