Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

May 20, 2024, 07:10:23 pm

Author Topic: Mavisgibbons considers life options part IV: the (anti)climax.  (Read 16489 times)  Share 

RainerWolfram

• Victorian
  • Forum Obsessive
  • X&Y
  • Respect: +14
Re: Mavisgibbons considers life options part IV: the (anti)climax.
« Reply #15 on: October 21, 2010, 01:58:48 am »
Such a depressing quote, but it is true...

I am considering your thoughts.  I was/still am/will always be dead set on exchange though.
I've always wanted to study in the US although couldn't afford to do it entirely.  Exchange was my only option.

Go on the exchange, then transfer courses? Sometimes impractical things work out well at the end...
2010: B.Eng(Mechatronics)/B.Science(Computer Science/Astrophysics), Monash University
2011 Sem1: B.Eng(Electrical & Computer Systems)/B.Science(Computer Science), Monash University
2011 Sem2: B.Commerce (Finance + Software Systems), University of Melbourne

HERculina

• Victorian
  • Part of the furniture
  • To ∞ and beyond
  • Respect: +11
  • School: St. Trinians
  • School Grad Year: 2012
« Reply #16 on: October 21, 2010, 02:04:32 am »
OPTION 4
OPTION 4
OPTION 4.

According to what i read, it seems like your decision's more leaned towards biomed.
I mean you've already realized that you miss science, so why hesitate choosing the option that will demolish this dilemma once and for all?

Plus, with biomed, options are pretty wide and law is still possible.
AND theres still the 'possibility of stable employment' :D
------------------------------------------------------> :D <-----------------------------------------------------

TrueLight

• Victorian
  • ATAR Notes Superstar
  • Respect: +9
« Reply #17 on: October 21, 2010, 07:05:53 am »
id say option 2 or 4
http://www.campaignforliberty.com

Completed Bachelor of Science. Majored in Immunology and Microbiology.

“Who controls the past, controls the future. Who controls the present, controls the past.”
George Orwell, 1984.

"Terrorism is the best political weapon for nothing drives people harder than a fear of sudden death."
Adolf Hitler

“The bigger the lie, the more inclined people will be to believe it”
Adolf Hitler

"Beware the leader who bangs the drums of war in order to whip the citizenry into a patriotic fervor, for patriotism is indeed a double-edged sword. It both emboldens the blood, just

Russ

• Honorary Moderator
  • Great Wonder of ATAR Notes
  • Respect: +661
« Reply #18 on: October 21, 2010, 08:38:03 am »
I always enjoyed both science and humanities (in VCE and now) so I ended up having to pick one, much like you. I was choosing between media and comm. or biomedicine when I applied to VTAC.

Anyway, actual help...if you hate your degree then adding a second major isn't going to help so much. I'm leaning towards "transfer to a different degree". Science will let you take a Psychology major, Biomedicine won't. You can still go on exchange with science/biomed, it'll just be different subjects to take over there.

If you want someone to talk to, the MDHS student centre is predominantly...slow...with the exception of one of the women working there (who's awesome). Your best bet is to turn up at the 2nd floor of the Brownless and not leave until they answer your questions about a transfer. You'll probably see me there, trying to get answers as well :(

Eriny

• The lamp of enlightenment
  • Honorary Moderator
  • ATAR Notes Superstar
  • Respect: +100
« Reply #19 on: October 21, 2010, 09:12:13 am »
If you don't want to be a journalist because you don't enjoy it and it's not what you want, then you should change something. If you don't want to be a journalist because it's a competitive industry, then I think you should stick with it. Everything gets competitive, every job has a competitive aspect to it, unless you're satisfied with entry level positions. I know it's off-putting, but it's not as though Law or Psychology are uncompetitive either.

ninwa

• Respect: +1021
« Reply #20 on: October 21, 2010, 12:36:44 pm »
How badly do you want to "escape the arts faculty"?
(Totally sympathise with you there. Might be posting a help thread myself very similar to this one soon.)

In your position I would do biomed, see if I like the neuropsychology/biology/whatever it is. If you like it - more research - masters degrees - PhDs! If not - JD! Though I don't think a law degree improves your job prospects as much as you seem to think it does.

Re: exchange - have you considered an LLB instead of JD - I think it's easier to go on exchange
ExamPro enquiries to [email protected]

Fyrefly

• ★☆★ 一期一会 ★☆★
  • Honorary Moderator
  • ATAR Notes Legend
  • Respect: +307
« Reply #21 on: October 21, 2010, 01:31:27 pm »

I think BSci is your best bet.

This is coming from someone who understands how important it must be for you to go on exchange, since I've always had the same wish to do exchange too (albeit different countries... I don't quite understand why the US appeals to you, tbh =P).

Also, though I've not the passion for psychology, it seems to be the compromise between Arts and Science. This may be why you're drawn to it... it does sound perfect for you  :)

http://www.bsc.unimelb.edu.au/bachelor/course
http://www.bsc.unimelb.edu.au/bachelor/study/psychology/structure

Obviously I don't go to UoM, but just looking at that link...

Correct me if any of my assumptions are wrong, but:
* You would be able to credit your (6?) media and communication units as your breadth.
* You would be able to claim credit for the two psychology units you've studied so far.
* Not that it seems to bother you, but claiming full credit (or close to it) means you won't add unnecessary time to your degree.
* You would be able to double major in psychology and neuroscience/biology (note: I'm not a UoM student nor a science student, but if I'm interpreting this correctly, if you did psych/neuroscience double major, you would only have 1 free elective, see: http://www.bsc.unimelb.edu.au/bachelor/study/neuroscience/structure; there's 9 units to make up the neuroscience major... this only matters if you can't study enough psychology units on exchange)
* Exchange will probably still be possible for low-end psychology/neuroscience units (before the areas of study get more specific and complicated); meaning you'll probably need to consider exchange sooner rather than later. Note though, that you'll need to check science faculty exchange requirements, and see if your breadth units can be counted towards the minimum credit points required for exchange.

* Alternatively, you can ignore your media and communication units completely, and not try to claim credit for them. This way, you've got more flexibility when you go on exchange (note: check that you can use your breadth units for overseas study).
* Alternatively, you can do a single major (maybe still minor in neuroscience or biology?), so you've got plenty of room for exchange even if you can't study the psychology units you would need to study overseas.
* Alternatively, you may need to consider the possibility that you'll only get enough overseas psychology/neuroscience units approved to allow for one semester of overseas study.

* Once you've finished your degree, you would have the option of either moving onto JD or Master of Psychology... your choice would depend on how much you like psychology I guess, ha ha. I would like to point out though, that a psychology background is a powerful thing for a lawyer to have. A psychology undergraduate major wouldn't by any means "go to waste" if you were to move onto JD instead of Master of Psych.

I'm not sure who you would need to speak to, but it's very clear that you need to speak to someone at UoM with the knowledge to answer your questions.

Oh, also... if (for some reason) you decide against BSci or BBio, then I would suggest you at least try transferring out of your forced major. As in, try to transfer out of BArts (Media and Communication) into straight BArts.

Good luck with your decision Mavis... I remember a few years ago, I felt unbearably lost as well. I had no idea where my life was going, and I spent a week straight crying (even though I wasn't missing tomatoes). So while I'm not in your shoes, I do feel as though I understand some of the confusion and pain you must be feeling right now. I remember that the thing I felt most above all, was the sheer feeling of being lost - I had no idea where I was going with my life, and this terrified me. The older members on here helped me out immensely, and gave me the encouragement I needed to move forward. The big decisions are always the hardest. I know it's difficult now, but please trust me when I say that this is one of those "life" things where you'll come out the other end a better person - you'll be all the wiser, and stronger, once you get through this. It'll give you a much nicer, more realistic perspective on life. Hang in there!!  :)
|| BComm + DipLang (Jap) @ Monash ||

simpak

• Victorian
  • ATAR Notes Legend
  • Respect: +376
« Reply #22 on: October 21, 2010, 01:53:00 pm »
OH MY GOD SO MANY REPLIES WHERE TO BEGIN.

"I mean you've already realized that you miss science, so why hesitate choosing the option that will demolish this dilemma once and for all?"
Because then I might miss my Arts stuff!  I am so picky!  I would take a semester off and deal with life if I could but I can't defer, which sucks.  I think I would be able to see how much I would miss the Arts side of things if I wasn't currently in assignment/exam mode...although this has, of course, been going on all semester so it's not just periods of high stress.

"If you want someone to talk to, the MDHS student centre is predominantly...slow...with the exception of one of the women working there (who's awesome). Your best bet is to turn up at the 2nd floor of the Brownless and not leave until they answer your questions about a transfer. You'll probably see me there, trying to get answers as well"
Okay I may try this!  What are you looking for answers on?

"If you don't want to be a journalist because you don't enjoy it and it's not what you want, then you should change something. If you don't want to be a journalist because it's a competitive industry, then I think you should stick with it. Everything gets competitive, every job has a competitive aspect to it, unless you're satisfied with entry level positions. I know it's off-putting, but it's not as though Law or Psychology are uncompetitive either."
I am beginning not to enjoy writing in journalistic styles or for journalism publications and just don't feel like I am passionate enough about it.  I work best in a competitive environment and enjoy being in one, so it's not the competitive side of things which turns me away.  It's just more that I realise that the jobs I will have to have, at least for a significant amount of time, are not those which I would enjoy and I'm not passionate enough to deal with having the bad jobs for x amount of time before getting somewhere which may be potential better, but which I may still not enjoy.

"How badly do you want to "escape the arts faculty"?
(Totally sympathise with you there. Might be posting a help thread myself very similar to this one soon.)"
Well, at the moment, quite a bit.  But it's not writing essays and etc. that turns me away, but just a disinterest with the course material for my media and comm subjects (BOTH OF THEMMM).  I find one to be utterly ridiculous and the other to be boring, draining, stressful and the bane of my existence.  Other Arts subjects, like History and Psychology (which is only half an Arts subject mind you), I thoroughly enjoy.

"Re: exchange - have you considered an LLB instead of JD - I think it's easier to go on exchange"
You mean at Melbourne?  You can't do that anymoreee?

Re: Fyrefly.
My course is like, shut off from the rest of the uni so I can't claim any Media Comm credits as breadth.  However, I still have four subjects I can claim as breadth in BSci.
It's actually somewhat moreso the biological/neuroscience side of psychology which interests me to the greatest degree, rather than anything about social or personality psychology.  Some cognitive is also interesting.  But yes, that was why I was considering biomed for the neuroscience major side of things because if I were to do psychology that is the field in which I would ultimately hope to end up doing something in.
2009 ENTER: 99.05
2014: BSci Hons (Microbiology/Immunology) at UoM
2015+: PhD (Immunology) at UoM

Russ

• Honorary Moderator
  • Respect: +661
« Reply #23 on: October 21, 2010, 02:29:55 pm »
What are you looking for answers on?

My major and whether I can take certain subjects etc. The new handbook comes out tomorrow, which might make it easier at least.
And I suppose I'll try to bribe one of them to give me the MD cutoffs for 2011 :P

Did you ever email Hargeaves, he's usually half decent at replying to emails.

ninwa

• Respect: +1021
« Reply #24 on: October 21, 2010, 02:32:00 pm »
Okay so you don't like your course subjects and you don't think you'll like the job it leads to... definitely drop it/change it. Why waste more years you could be spending on something you actually like?

Re: LLB my bad, I gather you want to stay at UoM then. Is Monash completely out of the question?

If you were to take option 2, how long would that take? Compared to completely switching to biomed or science? I'm getting the impression you are equally attracted to both.
ExamPro enquiries to [email protected]

simpak

• Victorian
  • ATAR Notes Legend
« Reply #25 on: October 21, 2010, 02:45:04 pm »
Okay so you don't like your course subjects and you don't think you'll like the job it leads to... definitely drop it/change it. Why waste more years you could be spending on something you actually like?

Re: LLB my bad, I gather you want to stay at UoM then. Is Monash completely out of the question?

If you were to take option 2, how long would that take? Compared to completely switching to biomed or science? I'm getting the impression you are equally attracted to both.

Because law is only offered at Clayton, Monash is soooooooo far away from me.  Like four hours travelling a day.  And I am happy with Melbourne as an institution, so I think I would rather stay.

Option 2 being double major?  Well I would continue with this degree as per normal and finish 2012.
If I move I finish 2013.  Undergrad that is.  And then whatever I decide to do.

simpak

• Victorian
  • ATAR Notes Legend
« Reply #26 on: October 21, 2010, 02:45:57 pm »
What are you looking for answers on?

My major and whether I can take certain subjects etc. The new handbook comes out tomorrow, which might make it easier at least.
And I suppose I'll try to bribe one of them to give me the MD cutoffs for 2011 :P

Did you ever email Hargeaves, he's usually half decent at replying to emails.

Yesss I emailed him but it was mostly about credits for biomed should I move, so about my breadth and everything.

Glockmeister

• Victorian
  • Part of the furniture
  • RIP Sweet Nothings.
  • Respect: +8
« Reply #27 on: October 27, 2010, 01:46:31 am »

I think BSci is your best bet.

This is coming from someone who understands how important it must be for you to go on exchange, since I've always had the same wish to do exchange too (albeit different countries... I don't quite understand why the US appeals to you, tbh =P).

Also, though I've not the passion for psychology, it seems to be the compromise between Arts and Science. This may be why you're drawn to it... it does sound perfect for you  :)

http://www.bsc.unimelb.edu.au/bachelor/course
http://www.bsc.unimelb.edu.au/bachelor/study/psychology/structure

Obviously I don't go to UoM, but just looking at that link...

Correct me if any of my assumptions are wrong, but:
* You would be able to credit your (6?) media and communication units as your breadth.
* You would be able to claim credit for the two psychology units you've studied so far.
* Not that it seems to bother you, but claiming full credit (or close to it) means you won't add unnecessary time to your degree.
* You would be able to double major in psychology and neuroscience/biology (note: I'm not a UoM student nor a science student, but if I'm interpreting this correctly, if you did psych/neuroscience double major, you would only have 1 free elective, see: http://www.bsc.unimelb.edu.au/bachelor/study/neuroscience/structure; there's 9 units to make up the neuroscience major... this only matters if you can't study enough psychology units on exchange)
* Exchange will probably still be possible for low-end psychology/neuroscience units (before the areas of study get more specific and complicated); meaning you'll probably need to consider exchange sooner rather than later. Note though, that you'll need to check science faculty exchange requirements, and see if your breadth units can be counted towards the minimum credit points required for exchange.

* Alternatively, you can ignore your media and communication units completely, and not try to claim credit for them. This way, you've got more flexibility when you go on exchange (note: check that you can use your breadth units for overseas study).
* Alternatively, you can do a single major (maybe still minor in neuroscience or biology?), so you've got plenty of room for exchange even if you can't study the psychology units you would need to study overseas.
* Alternatively, you may need to consider the possibility that you'll only get enough overseas psychology/neuroscience units approved to allow for one semester of overseas study.

* Once you've finished your degree, you would have the option of either moving onto JD or Master of Psychology... your choice would depend on how much you like psychology I guess, ha ha. I would like to point out though, that a psychology background is a powerful thing for a lawyer to have. A psychology undergraduate major wouldn't by any means "go to waste" if you were to move onto JD instead of Master of Psych.

I'm not sure who you would need to speak to, but it's very clear that you need to speak to someone at UoM with the knowledge to answer your questions.

Oh, also... if (for some reason) you decide against BSci or BBio, then I would suggest you at least try transferring out of your forced major. As in, try to transfer out of BArts (Media and Communication) into straight BArts.

Good luck with your decision Mavis... I remember a few years ago, I felt unbearably lost as well. I had no idea where my life was going, and I spent a week straight crying (even though I wasn't missing tomatoes). So while I'm not in your shoes, I do feel as though I understand some of the confusion and pain you must be feeling right now. I remember that the thing I felt most above all, was the sheer feeling of being lost - I had no idea where I was going with my life, and this terrified me. The older members on here helped me out immensely, and gave me the encouragement I needed to move forward. The big decisions are always the hardest. I know it's difficult now, but please trust me when I say that this is one of those "life" things where you'll come out the other end a better person - you'll be all the wiser, and stronger, once you get through this. It'll give you a much nicer, more realistic perspective on life. Hang in there!!  :)

Having a look at the neuroscience major, just be warily that the psychology units in the sample neuroscience major won't allow you to go on to do Psych Honours the year after. You need to do what's known as a APAC-accredited major which is all the psych units listed in the Psychology major section as well as the electives. This might affect your course structure as (at least at Monash), the APAC-accredited major is larger than the normal major (more subjects).
"this post is more confusing than actual chemistry.... =S" - Mao

[22:07] <robbo> i luv u Glockmeister

<Glockmeister> like the people who like do well academically
<Glockmeister> tend to deny they actually do well
<%Neobeo> sounds like Ahmad0
<@Ahmad0> no
<@Ahmad0> sounds like Neobeo

2007: Mathematical Methods 37; Psychology 38
2008: English 33; Specialist Maths 32 ; Chemistry 38; IT: Applications 42
2009: Bachelor of Behavioural Neuroscience, Monash University.

simpak

• Victorian
  • ATAR Notes Legend
« Reply #28 on: October 27, 2010, 03:01:05 pm »
Yeah I checked in to all of that recently, it doesn't affect me too poorly in either degree.

stonecold

• Victorian
  • Respect: +255
  • School Grad Year: 2010
« Reply #29 on: October 27, 2010, 03:05:08 pm »
If you do option 4, you get to do your degree with me haha. :P

That is if I make the ATAR cuttoff...

But yeah, you seem really into bio and med, so it sounds like the right thing for you.
2011-13: BBiomed (Microbiology & Immunology Major) @ UniMelb

VCE 2009'10: English 46 | English Language 49 | Chemistry 50 | Biology 50 | Further Mathematics 48 | Mathematical Methods CAS 39
ATAR: 99.85

"Failure is not when one falls down but rather when one fails to get up" - unknown