Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

May 16, 2024, 07:20:28 am

Author Topic: HSC Biology Question Thread  (Read 348973 times)  Share 

Razeen25

• Trendsetter
  • Respect: +21
Re: HSC Biology Question Thread
« Reply #1230 on: September 10, 2018, 01:54:30 am »
Hii,

I know not many schools do the Genetics option but unfortunately my school does, and my biology teacher has been away and I'm LOST. I'm not sure if anybody here has done it but if so, could somebody please help me understand the dotpoint 'outline the procedure to produce recombinant DNA'. From what I initially understood, this was a simple process just like in Blueprint of Life as recombinant DNA refers to combining DNA from two different species, eg the process of transgenesis which I understand. But for this specific dot point, all the information in textbooks is about separating DNA, inserting it into a plasmid and then cloning it in a bacterium and I'm confused. Where does the other species' DNA come from? Or is the plasmid the other species? Genetics is really hard :(
HSC 2018 || Biology (90) || Business Studies (94) || English Advanced (87) || Legal Studies (91) || General Mathematics 2 (95) ||
ATAR: 96.20

PhoenixxFire

• VIC MVP - 2018
  • Honorary Moderator
  • ATAR Notes Legend
  • They/them/theirs
  • Respect: +3102
« Reply #1231 on: September 10, 2018, 07:31:49 am »
+1
Hii,

I know not many schools do the Genetics option but unfortunately my school does, and my biology teacher has been away and I'm LOST. I'm not sure if anybody here has done it but if so, could somebody please help me understand the dotpoint 'outline the procedure to produce recombinant DNA'. From what I initially understood, this was a simple process just like in Blueprint of Life as recombinant DNA refers to combining DNA from two different species, eg the process of transgenesis which I understand. But for this specific dot point, all the information in textbooks is about separating DNA, inserting it into a plasmid and then cloning it in a bacterium and I'm confused. Where does the other species' DNA come from? Or is the plasmid the other species? Genetics is really hard :(
Obviously I don’t do HSC, so I’m not exactly sure what you need to know but we do a bit about plasmids in VCE.

So the foreign DNA is normally something that is useful to humans - for example the insulin gene.

Both it and the plasmid (from bacteria) are cut with the same restriction enzyme, leaving them with conplimentary sticky ends. They are then mixed together and some of the foreign genes will bind to the plasmid (some of the plasmids will also just rejoin without the new gene). These recombinant plasmids are then put into bacteria (plasmids are naturally exchanged between similar bacteria).

The bacteria that have the recombinant plasmid then reproduce and you end up with lots of bacteria producing insulin (or whatever the gene is for) which can then be extracted and used.
2019: B. Environment and Sustainability/B. Science @ ANU
2020: Just Vibing
2021: B. Paramedicine/B. Nursing @ ACU Canberra

amelia20181

• Trendsetter
  • Respect: 0
« Reply #1232 on: September 10, 2018, 01:15:15 pm »
can someone please explain this

beeangkah

• Forum Regular
  • Respect: +1
« Reply #1233 on: September 10, 2018, 05:14:25 pm »
From 2015 HSC

Could someone please explain why the answer is B lol

Razeen25

• Trendsetter
  • Respect: +21
« Reply #1234 on: September 10, 2018, 05:28:47 pm »
Obviously I don’t do HSC, so I’m not exactly sure what you need to know but we do a bit about plasmids in VCE.

So the foreign DNA is normally something that is useful to humans - for example the insulin gene.

Both it and the plasmid (from bacteria) are cut with the same restriction enzyme, leaving them with conplimentary sticky ends. They are then mixed together and some of the foreign genes will bind to the plasmid (some of the plasmids will also just rejoin without the new gene). These recombinant plasmids are then put into bacteria (plasmids are naturally exchanged between similar bacteria).

The bacteria that have the recombinant plasmid then reproduce and you end up with lots of bacteria producing insulin (or whatever the gene is for) which can then be extracted and used.

Thank you this helped!
HSC 2018 || Biology (90) || Business Studies (94) || English Advanced (87) || Legal Studies (91) || General Mathematics 2 (95) ||
ATAR: 96.20

Bri MT

• VIC MVP - 2018
  • Administrator
  • ATAR Notes Legend
  • invest in wellbeing so it can invest in you
  • Respect: +3677
« Reply #1235 on: September 10, 2018, 05:32:44 pm »
From 2015 HSC

Could someone please explain why the answer is B lol

D would suggest that strict hygiene practices shouldn't be followed for newborns, which rules it out as an answer
C isn't really relevant, so that is ruled out too
A suggests that personal hygiene is completely unnecessary for older babies - but this is untrue

We know that newborns' immune systems aren't yet mature, and that this makes them more susceptible to pathogens (hence why its an important advantage that antibodies from the mother diffuse across via the placenta before birth)

Hope this helps :)

13kanel

• Fresh Poster
« Reply #1236 on: September 13, 2018, 02:47:26 pm »
Heyyyyy guys

I was wondering if someone can explain T cells and B cells to me i am completely lost on them

;D

KT Nyunt

• MOTM: MAY 18
  • Trendsetter
  • Respect: +34
« Reply #1237 on: September 13, 2018, 09:21:34 pm »
+1
Heyyyyy guys

I was wondering if someone can explain T cells and B cells to me i am completely lost on them

;D

Here are some screenshots from my notes :) this gives an overview on pre much everything you need to know about B cells and T cells. Hope this helps! If you need any further clarification on anything let me know. 
HSC 2018:
Biology | Chemistry | English Advanced | Math Ext. 1 | Math Ext. 2

Atar: 97.40
Chem - acidic environment
And more...

KT Nyunt

• MOTM: MAY 18
  • Trendsetter
  • Respect: +34
« Reply #1238 on: September 13, 2018, 09:44:19 pm »
+1
can someone please explain this

Do you have the answers? I would probably say the answer is D.

- As substrate is being used and turned into products, the concentration of substrate will decrease (hence why it should be D)
- Enzymes can't decrease in concentration because enzymes are catalysts, hence they remain unchanged and unaffected after the reaction (so it's not C)
- The concentration of the product is technically increasing each time, it is just the rate at which the product is formed is decreasing because there's less and less substrate available (so it's not B)
- If D is not right it might be A tbh. The reason being as substrate concentration decreases, so would the rate of enzyme activity (so it's technically also right) but we have to pick the most correct answer. Since substrate concentration has a more direct correlation to the amount of product (the more product produced, the more substrate consumed), D is more correct as it explains the graph the best

Hope this helps :)
HSC 2018:
Biology | Chemistry | English Advanced | Math Ext. 1 | Math Ext. 2

Atar: 97.40
Chem - acidic environment
And more...

amelia20181

• Trendsetter
« Reply #1239 on: September 14, 2018, 07:56:07 pm »
Thanks!

can you explain why the answer for this question is b

Owlbird83

• BLAA 2020
  • Victorian Moderator
  • Forum Leader
  • Respect: +785
« Reply #1240 on: September 14, 2018, 08:44:05 pm »
+1
Thanks!

can you explain why the answer for this question is b

Because there are two things you are changing in the experiment:
-the type of enzyme
-the pH
2018: Biology
2019: Chemistry, Physics, Math Methods, English, Japanese
2020: Bachelor of Psychology (Monash)

amelia20181

• Trendsetter
« Reply #1241 on: October 01, 2018, 03:23:18 pm »
Are prions cells and can they reproduce outside a host cell

ilovemycat

• Forum Regular
  • Respect: +6
« Reply #1242 on: October 02, 2018, 08:15:04 am »
hey, this is a question form 2015 hsc biology communciation section. just wondering , can someone help me out with it? im kind of confused even tho i know its supposed to be a "general/easy" question :'( :'(

explain why some stimuli would not generate an action potential in a neurone?

thanks so much

kauac

• Forum Leader
  • Respect: +291
« Reply #1243 on: October 02, 2018, 10:34:44 am »
hey, this is a question form 2015 hsc biology communciation section. just wondering , can someone help me out with it? im kind of confused even tho i know its supposed to be a "general/easy" question :'( :'(

explain why some stimuli would not generate an action potential in a neurone?

thanks so much

Hi...

The stimuli must exceed the threshold potential in order to generate the action potential in a neurone. Any level of stimulation below the threshold will not induce anything.  :)

Are prions cells and can they reproduce outside a host cell

Prions are abnormal proteins, so they are a chemical, not a cell.  Therefore, they cannot reproduce as such, but rather, can cause healthy proteins in cells to assume the abnormal shape, so that they cannot function effectively. This is how they cause disease.  :)
« Last Edit: October 02, 2018, 10:37:25 am by kauac »
2018: HSC

2019: Gap Year

2020-2024: B Science / M Nutrition & Dietetics @ USYD

kauac

• Forum Leader
  • Respect: +291
« Reply #1244 on: October 02, 2018, 10:38:11 am »
Hi...

What is the difference between independent assortment and random segregation? I always get confused between these two...
2018: HSC

2019: Gap Year

2020-2024: B Science / M Nutrition & Dietetics @ USYD