Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

May 15, 2024, 02:23:26 pm

Author Topic: JMSS Entry For 2018  (Read 435453 times)  Share 

Shadestache

• Forum Obsessive
  • Call me Shades
  • Respect: +20
Re: JMSS Entry For 2018
« Reply #735 on: July 23, 2017, 07:02:21 pm »
'What are all of your favourite topics of science?' 
Almost forgot to mention: I'm a physics kinda guy

Woohoo yeah everyone join the Hype Train!!!!! /the fun is about to begin and good luck to all!!! Choooooooooooo choooooooooooooooo (although it can't be a steam engine train because those are bad for the environment and we are should be helping it as much as we can. Although steam engine trains are the only trains that make that noise so let's pretend that the Hype Train is in fact a hyper-efficient train that runs on entire nuclear fission technology and uses the space time relativistic properties of the Alcubbiere drive and can travel vast distances at speeds past that of light and is entirely beneficial to the environment yeah woohoo)

^^ yeah I got that physics vibe from you :PP

I personally love chemistry, but I also really enjoy learning about other areas of science. As long as it's new, interesting stuff that I haven't learnt.

RIP Moments:
• When you already understand an easy science topic you're doing at school, but the teacher still has to go through it with the class T-T
• Then you just zone out and do other work :PP

When faced with a problem, you either find a way or an excuse.

quinn_03

• Forum Obsessive
  • Respect: +22
« Reply #736 on: July 23, 2017, 07:14:17 pm »
Hey considering we will in most possibility find out if we got an interview or not in this forthcoming week I thought it'd be an alright time to break the proverbial ice (of course, not harming the environment and promoting global warming) and find out about what people like (because I am super stressed and need a distraction) by asking 'What are all of your favourite topics of science?' 
Almost forgot to mention: I'm a physics kinda guy

secretly? cosmological theoretical physics   :P :P thx stephen hawking!
2020 VCE
English [raw 50 + 60/60 exam score]
Literature [48]

Offering 2021 English and Literature tutoring + resources!

SquidsofDoom

• Forum Regular
  • Respect: 0
« Reply #737 on: July 23, 2017, 07:20:16 pm »
secretly? cosmological theoretical physics   :P :P thx stephen hawking!
Same!!!!!!! (kinda) I absolutely ADORE the physics of like deep space, which I'm pretty sure is cosmology. I also love particle and Quantum physics, except I don't know the maths so it's very hard to understand. I'm trying to read a book called Quantum Mechanics for Dummies. Let's just say it's not for Dummies (like no joke like on the first page it says "You will need at least 1 year of university Mathematics to read this book")
Shre nazg golugranu kilmi-nudu
Ombi kuzddurbagu gundum-ishi
Nugu gurunkilu bard gurutu
Ash Burz-Durbagu burzum-ishi
Daghburz-ishi makha gulshu darulu
Ash nazg durbatulūk
ash nazg gimbatul,
ash nazg thrakatulūk
agh burzum-ishi krimpatul

Shadestache

• Forum Obsessive
  • Call me Shades
« Reply #738 on: July 23, 2017, 07:24:06 pm »
Since you two are physics kids, could I ask for advice? XD
I want to improve in physics (not exactly my strength atm), so what would you recommend learning?

miguel_1

• Forum Regular
  • Respect: +16
« Reply #739 on: July 23, 2017, 07:27:37 pm »
My interview is tmrw  :o
2018: Biology & LOTE

Shadestache

• Forum Obsessive
  • Call me Shades
« Reply #740 on: July 23, 2017, 07:37:28 pm »
+1

Good luck! I'm pretty sure you'll do well.
I'm going to repost this in case you need some last minute preparation or something.

• What field of science do you enjoy most?
• What do you want to be when you grow up?
• What will you miss about your old school?
• Why do you want to come to John Monash?
• What are 5 attitudes a successful scientist must have?
• What are your strengths and weaknesses?
• What is your proudest achievement?
• What hobbies do you have?
• Why is science important and how can it help in the future?

GalacticProcess

• Forum Obsessive
  • The key to success, is failure.
  • Respect: +139
« Reply #741 on: July 23, 2017, 07:39:19 pm »
Wait, so did you get an email for interview?

SquidsofDoom

• Forum Regular
« Reply #742 on: July 23, 2017, 07:40:57 pm »
+4
Since you two are physics kids, could I ask for advice? XD
I want to improve in physics (not exactly my strength atm), so what would you recommend learning?
well, it depends on what kind of physics you want to learn, as the answer will change. But in all honesty, the reason I like physics is that there is so much ambiguity about it. Like there is so much unexplored stuff. For example, we know absolutely NOTHING about light, contrary to common belief. So I would recommend that you study whatever ignites curiosity. And considering you said you like Chemistry, I would recommend you start learning about particle physics, which is really fun and is super whacky, but because you like chemistry, you will probably enjoy it. And of course, because almost all physics requires a pretty solid understanding of Maths, I would recommend avoiding the Mathematics part to it and learn the theory. Or you could do what I'm doing and do every single subject on Khan Academy and holding most scientific learning at bay (which I would probably not recommend unless you wanna study Quantum Mechanics like me which is almost ENTIRELY maths. Actually now thinking about it Particle and Quantum physics are pretty similar, but do whichever one you choose.) Here is a website that will probably give you a pretty good start into learning it, and also I highly recommend watching MinutePhysics, a YouTuber who does a lot of those kinds of videos that run through concepts well and avoids the Maths as much as possible. I'd also recommend buying the book '30-second Physics', that if we both get into JMSS (In which I'm sure you will, but I'm not sure ill make it!) I can lend to you!
Here are the links:
http://www.pas.rochester.edu/~pavone/particle-www/particle_physics.html
https://www.youtube.com/user/minutephysics
Hope this helps!
Ash nazg durbatulūk
ash nazg gimbatul,
ash nazg thrakatulūk

Shadestache

• Forum Obsessive
  • Call me Shades
« Reply #743 on: July 23, 2017, 07:52:35 pm »
well, it depends on what kind of physics you want to learn, as the answer will change. But in all honesty, the reason I like physics is that there is so much ambiguity about it. Like there is so much unexplored stuff. For example, we know absolutely NOTHING about light, contrary to common belief. So I would recommend that you study whatever ignites curiosity. And considering you said you like Chemistry, I would recommend you start learning about particle physics, which is really fun and is super whacky, but because you like chemistry, you will probably enjoy it. And of course, because almost all physics requires a pretty solid understanding of Maths, I would recommend avoiding the Mathematics part to it and learn the theory. Or you could do what I'm doing and do every single subject on Khan Academy and holding most scientific learning at bay (which I would probably not recommend unless you wanna study Quantum Mechanics like me which is almost ENTIRELY maths. Actually now thinking about it Particle and Quantum physics are pretty similar, but do whichever one you choose.) Here is a website that will probably give you a pretty good start into learning it, and also I highly recommend watching MinutePhysics, a YouTuber who does a lot of those kinds of videos that run through concepts well and avoids the Maths as much as possible. I'd also recommend buying the book '30-second Physics', that if we both get into JMSS (In which I'm sure you will, but I'm not sure ill make it!) I can lend to you!
Here are the links:
http://www.pas.rochester.edu/~pavone/particle-www/particle_physics.html
https://www.youtube.com/user/minutephysics
Hope this helps!

Oh my god, thank you so much T-T
This is why nerds are awesome. They answer questions with great detail and advice, so thank you for taking the time to do that. I'll be sure to look into your links when I have free time :DD

I'm sure you'll be fine with your JMSS application because you talk about physics with such a spark. The greatest thing about science is that it gives you this strive to keep learning and improving - humans can never learn everything about the world, and I don't think they ever will XD
Despite all these bizarre phenomenons and processes, scientists can still somehow discover and create so many amazing things. Man, it's scary how something as advanced as technology is growing at an exponential rate, though it's still awesome.

emonerd

• Forum Obsessive
  • Respect: +6
« Reply #744 on: July 23, 2017, 07:57:23 pm »
I love ecology and astronomy but bio isn't too far behind !! aye I'm so nervous sjsnndejejnbddhdhhddd I also spend a lot of my free time persuading people that global warming IS REAL AND ITS GONNA BE THE DEATH OF US IF WE DONT CHANGE OUT WAYS. the amount of CO2 in the atmosphere has increased by 1/3 since the industrial revolution, which conveniently matches up to the rise in our sea levels. okay I'll stop now :o
2019 -Biology
2020- Chem, Methods, Spec, English and Literature

SquidsofDoom

• Forum Regular
« Reply #745 on: July 23, 2017, 08:00:01 pm »
Wait what are you serious???!!!! If you are, I'm afraid it's time to put on my shades and look gloomingly to the west and say "Looks like the fun is about to begin....."
Ash nazg durbatulūk
ash nazg gimbatul,
ash nazg thrakatulūk

SquidsofDoom

• Forum Regular
« Reply #746 on: July 23, 2017, 08:02:23 pm »
I love ecology and astronomy but bio isn't too far behind !! aye I'm so nervous sjsnndejejnbddhdhhddd I also spend a lot of my free time persuading people that global warming IS REAL AND ITS GONNA BE THE DEATH OF US IF WE DONT CHANGE OUT WAYS. the amount of CO2 in the atmosphere has increased by 1/3 since the industrial revolution, which conveniently matches up to the rise in our sea levels. okay I'll stop now :o
And see THAT my friend is why we use Nuclear Fusion powered Alcubbiere drives on trains! oh and Shadestache, the Alcubbiere drive is another cool thing to look into.
Ash nazg durbatulūk
ash nazg gimbatul,
ash nazg thrakatulūk

Shadestache

• Forum Obsessive
  • Call me Shades
« Reply #747 on: July 23, 2017, 08:05:14 pm »

Facepalm moment when people don't believe that it's real. We should plant more American chestnut trees to mitigate the CO2 emissions. It's sad that they're uncommon nowadays.

SquidsofDoom

• Forum Regular
« Reply #748 on: July 23, 2017, 08:10:44 pm »
Facepalm moment when people don't believe that it's real. We should plant more American chestnut trees to mitigate the CO2 emissions. It's sad that they're uncommon nowadays.
I agree
Ash nazg durbatulūk
ash nazg gimbatul,
ash nazg thrakatulūk

emonerd

• Forum Obsessive
  • Respect: +6
« Reply #749 on: July 23, 2017, 08:14:23 pm »
I know right !! everyone seems forgets about climate change in the midst of all this violence (massacres, burglaries, terrorist attacks). The climate change literally effects EVERYTHING in one way or another
2019 -Biology
2020- Chem, Methods, Spec, English and Literature