Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

May 16, 2024, 09:45:53 am

Author Topic: JMSS Entry For 2018  (Read 435507 times)  Share 

Appo

• Forum Regular
  • Respect: 0
Re: JMSS Entry For 2018
« Reply #2040 on: September 24, 2017, 03:45:40 pm »
You can do Chinese 3/4 in year 10 but I mean, do you really want to and will it be worth it?
« Last Edit: September 24, 2017, 03:52:34 pm by Appo »

Shadestache

• Forum Obsessive
  • Call me Shades
  • Respect: +20
« Reply #2041 on: September 24, 2017, 04:46:27 pm »
is anyone else here planning on doing a language for vce?

I think I will do Japanese SL.
When faced with a problem, you either find a way or an excuse.

Kaize

• Trendsetter
  • Respect: +1
« Reply #2042 on: September 24, 2017, 07:49:58 pm »
You can do Chinese 3/4 in year 10 but I mean, do you really want to and will it be worth it?
Yes, it is worth it. If I can finish Chinese by year 10, and finish methods by year 11, then I can pay extra attention to the subject that I'm not really good at. It'll be very helpful for me.
Never reject an idea, dream or goal simply because it will be hard work. Success rarely comes without it.

Appo

• Forum Regular
« Reply #2043 on: September 24, 2017, 07:55:03 pm »
Yes, it is worth it. If I can finish Chinese by year 10, and finish methods by year 11, then I can pay extra attention to the subject that I'm not really good at. It'll be very helpful for me.
I mean if you find it worth it, go for it. Are you scoring well in your current 1/2?

Creamysnow

• Adventurer
« Reply #2044 on: September 25, 2017, 01:30:35 pm »
+1
Will JMSS allow us to do Chinese(Unit 3&4) at year 10?
btw, apparently after next year(2018), they are removing detailed study because the study design is changing, so maybe think carefully of your choice
“Don't cry because it's over, smile because it happened.” :)

― Dr. Seuss

begirodos18

• Forum Regular
« Reply #2045 on: September 26, 2017, 09:42:09 pm »
Do we have the wear the blazer all the time? Beacuse i've seen students not wearing the blazer all the time. I mean I don't really mind wearing it unless the heat is excessive. Is the tie compulsary in summer?

amtopm

• Fresh Poster
« Reply #2046 on: September 27, 2017, 11:41:01 am »
Do we have the wear the blazer all the time? Beacuse i've seen students not wearing the blazer all the time. I mean I don't really mind wearing it unless the heat is excessive. Is the tie compulsary in summer?

I suppose that the school would want you to the blazer as often as you can as most schools do however (at my school at least) if we can get away with not wearing our blazer we won't wear it. I don't think the tie is compulsory in summer but don't quote me  ;D

btw, apparently after next year(2018), they are removing detailed study because the study design is changing, so maybe think carefully of your choice

What does this mean for classes next year?
« Last Edit: September 27, 2017, 11:43:58 am by amtopm »

anon_786

• Adventurer
« Reply #2047 on: September 27, 2017, 02:03:48 pm »
+2
hey guys!
Let me give you some advice for the coming days:

For info night, you will get a booklet that outlines EVERYTHING about the courses. The booklet will contain a few forms about your VCE pathway and you will have to fill that out for your course confirmation.

At your course counselling information session you will find out what house your in YAY! (it will be on top of this printed sheet, FL is flannery, BB is blackburn, WD is wood and DY is Doherty a.k.a THE BEST HOUSE EVER
You will also be able to ask any questions you may have and will be advised on what courses you should do for next year, based on our interests and career aspirations.

For orientation day, methods kids will have to come early for a class and they will give you all your holiday homework (which is like 4 chapters of work). You will then go to your house, be introduced to your house captains and meet your mentor group, which consists of your mentor teacher, 5-6 year 12's and 5-6 year 11's. Then you do some house activities for the rest of the day.

On orientation camp, which is held at Monash university, you may experience having to listen to boring lectures but there's free wifi so you'll be fine! You get to do more house activities with your mentor group.

The first week is super chillllll, you have swimming sports and get into the flow of classes. (IF YOU'RE IN METHODS you have an orientation test on the second week so be prepared!)

Shadestache

• Forum Obsessive
  • Call me Shades
  • Respect: +20
« Reply #2048 on: September 27, 2017, 02:23:39 pm »
hey guys!

For info night, you will get a booklet that outlines EVERYTHING about the courses. The booklet will contain a few forms about your VCE pathway and you will have to fill that out for your course confirmation.

At your course counselling information session you will find out what house your in YAY! (it will be on top of this printed sheet, FL is flannery, BB is blackburn, WD is wood and DY is Doherty a.k.a THE BEST HOUSE EVER
You will also be able to ask any questions you may have and will be advised on what courses you should do for next year, based on our interests and career aspirations.

For orientation day, methods kids will have to come early for a class and they will give you all your holiday homework (which is like 4 chapters of work). You will then go to your house, be introduced to your house captains and meet your mentor group, which consists of your mentor teacher, 5-6 year 12's and 5-6 year 11's. Then you do some house activities for the rest of the day.

On orientation camp, which is held at Monash university, you may experience having to listen to boring lectures but there's free wifi so you'll be fine! You get to do more house activities with your mentor group.

The first week is super chillllll, you have swimming sports and get into the flow of classes. (IF YOU'RE IN METHODS you have an orientation test on the second week so be prepared!)
Thank you so much for this. When does the course counselling session occur?
And what topics does the methods orientation test contain? (if you're able to tell)
« Last Edit: September 27, 2017, 03:35:38 pm by Shadestache »
When faced with a problem, you either find a way or an excuse.

sZera

• Trailblazer
« Reply #2049 on: September 27, 2017, 09:14:28 pm »

You don't have to wear it all the time, but sometimes when you go on excursions or important events + photo day you need a blazer. The tie is only compulsory if you wear long pants/long sleeved t-shirt (I can't remember which one)

What does this mean for classes next year?
)

If you're doing 3/4 next year, you'll still have to do the detailed study.
2018 | :(
2019 | :'(

begirodos18

• Forum Regular
« Reply #2050 on: September 28, 2017, 09:21:39 am »
Hey do you happen to know what sort of topics are covered in the methods test. Is there any probability or trig in the test? Im quite strong in linear and quadratics ~ok in trig but not that confident with probability. Can you give me a heads up on whats covered in the test a maybe the test format. Any imputs will be appreciated.

meena.dream189

• Trailblazer
« Reply #2051 on: September 28, 2017, 11:17:59 am »
hey guys!

WOW..that really helped...btw what company maths book will we be using in Year 10?
Is is Maths Quest?

Appo

• Forum Regular
« Reply #2052 on: September 28, 2017, 11:55:45 am »
WOW..that really helped...btw what company maths book will we be using in Year 10?
Is is Maths Quest?
If you're doing methods, you'll be using a Cambridge Edition Methods Book. If you're in core maths, you won't have a textbook and will follow a online curriculum that the school has designed.

begirodos18

• Forum Regular
« Reply #2053 on: September 28, 2017, 12:08:22 pm »
Does JMSS have a certain pass mark for methods 1/2. Are the tests generally off the book. Cause i knoe for the cambridge methods book the teachers have a online account where they can print off tests from certain chapters. For the orientation test is it chapters 1 and 2.

Appo

• Forum Regular
« Reply #2054 on: September 28, 2017, 12:22:35 pm »
Does JMSS have a certain pass mark for methods 1/2. Are the tests generally off the book. Cause i knoe for the cambridge methods book the teachers have a online account where they can print off tests from certain chapters. For the orientation test is it chapters 1 and 2.
John Monash makes their own, I believe pass is around  50-60 but most students stay above the 70 mark. Regarding the orientation test, I have no idea.