Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

June 01, 2024, 03:54:10 pm

Author Topic: Improvements to the site - layout, design etc.  (Read 13882 times)  Share 

Lasercookie

• Honorary Moderator
  • ATAR Notes Legend
  • Respect: +326
Re: Improvements to the site - layout, design etc.
« Reply #45 on: September 13, 2013, 11:33:35 pm »
+2
Oh my god, I love this drop down idea!!!

How would it work for a mobile site though?
I'd probably go with what Kanon suggested about having the design of the website alter a bit on smaller screens. That Mitsubishi website is a pretty good example of how much you can have it alter depending on screen size. 
- using jquery tends to be a large part of modern web design, minimising pages that need to be loaded aswell as fancy effects are pretty much crucial to keeping users attention
- A big thing atm is responsive design, so design that is responsive to the users device. ATM the current page isn't responsive and is much more static coded than anything, so if you were to open ATARNotes on a phone it would look the same as it does on a desktop just really squished.  If you open http://www.mitsubishi-motors.com.au/ and start to slowly resize your screen to a much smaller size you'll see what it looks like on a mobile.
There's also the AN App on iOS too isn't there? I've only seen the screenshots of that, but I'm assuming that's a bit more convenient than a mobile web browser for iPhone users.

Alwin

• Victorian
  • Forum Leader
  • Respect: +241
« Reply #46 on: September 13, 2013, 11:45:21 pm »
+7
There's also the AN App on iOS too isn't there? I've only seen the screenshots of that, but I'm assuming that's a bit more convenient than a mobile web browser for iPhone users.

There is, but I haven't personally tried it. iPod died recently... still find it hard to move on :'(

edit: resized image
« Last Edit: September 14, 2013, 12:01:10 am by Alwin »
2012:  Methods [48] Physics [49]
2013:  English [40] (oops) Chemistry [46] Spesh [42] Indo SL [34] Uni Maths: Melb UMEP [4.5] Monash MUEP [just for a bit of fun]
2014:  BAeroEng/BComm

A pessimist says a glass is half empty, an optimist says a glass is half full.
An engineer says the glass has a safety factor of 2.0

pi

• Honorary Moderator
  • Great Wonder of ATAR Notes
  • Doctor.
  • Respect: +2376
« Reply #47 on: September 13, 2013, 11:52:56 pm »
+1 for pointing out Brenden was the reason. Well played good Sir.

ninwa

• Respect: +1021
« Reply #48 on: September 14, 2013, 12:02:52 am »
LOL

I still use a Blackberry (if you laugh at me I'll ban you) so I don't know much about these newfangled app things, but I guess the AN App is enough for a mobile site.

We've got a bit on our plate at the moment but as soon as we start this properly we'll definitely consult some of you further!
ExamPro enquiries to [email protected]

Lasercookie

• Honorary Moderator
  • ATAR Notes Legend
  • Respect: +326
« Reply #49 on: September 14, 2013, 12:08:02 am »
I still use a Blackberry (if you laugh at me I'll ban you) so I don't know much about these newfangled app things, but I guess the AN App is enough for a mobile site.
Nah the AN app won't work for android phones / other phones (including more up to date blackberry phones :P) that aren't made by Apple 3: And I guess it's important for netbooks / tablets with smaller screens too

pi

• Honorary Moderator
  • Doctor.
  • Respect: +2376
« Reply #50 on: September 14, 2013, 12:09:00 am »
+1
I still use a Blackberry

This explains so much about your superior technological skills. So, so much.

edit: HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

edit2: I actually did get banned for this post # y o l o
« Last Edit: September 16, 2013, 12:00:51 pm by umatpi »