Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

May 29, 2024, 06:59:20 pm

Author Topic: Defining the ever changing face of Patriotism  (Read 5253 times)  Share 

slothpomba

• Honorary Moderator
  • ATAR Notes Legend
  • Chief Executive Sloth
  • Respect: +327
Re: Defining the ever changing face of Patriotism
« Reply #15 on: December 27, 2009, 11:18:55 pm »
No matter how much I have stressed "I am grateful for being here". No matter how much I understand we are a lot better off than other countries.

From my point of view from what you've written you haven't really made that clear. You just seem to keep pointing out how terrible everything is and woe is me. I accept it because there is crime everywhere and crime is inevitable. We are in no way in a state of crisis.

I think your opinion  doesn't really help at all,  you just sitting here saying how bad everything is wont change everything.  Join the police force if you want to change it.

I didnt mean the plane thing quiet literally im just saying we could be in a whole lot worse situation.

Saying ryan stoncode ect... has nothing to do with the argument what so ever its got nothing to do with the topic being argued. Its just a [url=http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Appeal_to_the_majority] appeal to the majority [url] to try sure up your argument perhaps.

Anyway, we've both presented our points and views. I dont really see why we need to go any further because it would be beating a dead horse and this is really going nowhere... its like an unstoppable object meeting an immovable force. I've really got nothing else to throw in?

ATAR Notes Chat
Philosophy thread
-----
2011-15: Bachelor of Science/Arts (Religious studies) @ Monash Clayton - Majors: Pharmacology, Physiology, Developmental Biology
2016: Bachelor of Science (Honours) - Psychiatry research

xXNovaxX

« Reply #16 on: December 27, 2009, 11:19:26 pm »
And I respect that.

I never went out to make this thread on this topic, my first post didn't even MENTION drinking etc etc.

However...
I know,
the Police Commissioner knows,
the Prime Minister knows (today he initiated a new campaign to say when u have had enough to drink),
family groups know, and most people know binge drinking is out of control, and that's that, you even acknowledged it to a degree, so we are debating over nothing in this regard.

I response to the football claims coaches shouting to what only the PLAYERS can hear " to fire up". However like I said, I do NOT see this as a major issue (hence I didn't rite in red), because in fact 1 minutes silence is held DURING the football match, ensuring a sign of respect. So once again, we have nothing to debate on this topic.

We have all not gotten it out of our system, and we all know where we each stand. COOL :)

That's off topic, and I only brought them up when pomba did to ensure my points are not "blurred"

EDIT: Quiet weird....for two people who are at logger heads, we BOTH posted the same conclusion of "we both know where we stand". LOL

« Last Edit: December 27, 2009, 11:22:32 pm by xXNovaxX »

slothpomba

• Honorary Moderator
  • ATAR Notes Legend
  • Chief Executive Sloth
« Reply #17 on: December 27, 2009, 11:23:36 pm »
[this is going way off topic and has nothing to do with the arguments and shouldn't be analysed as such]

In the suburbs i live a lot of people get gangs together and things like that, i know many of these gangs around and to be honest most (not all) but most of the things i mentioned have been gang related, revenge or things like that. Some of them had it comming, so its not that i dont care about it, ive just kind of gotten use to it. It's never affected me personally.

I think we should just stop here..we should of probably stopped significantly earlier..its not going to get any better here its just going to degrade into i dont have a word for it really but one big shouting and chest beating match.

ATAR Notes Chat
Philosophy thread
-----
2011-15: Bachelor of Science/Arts (Religious studies) @ Monash Clayton - Majors: Pharmacology, Physiology, Developmental Biology

*ryan777*

• Victorian
  • Forum Leader
  • Respect: +2
« Reply #18 on: December 27, 2009, 11:25:57 pm »
lol, if this thread went much further i think everyone here might add to the crime rate out of blind rage soon enough
2010: Bachelor of Economics @ Monash University - Clayton
Sem1: Priciples of Accounting/Finance, Principles of Microeconomics, Business Statistics, Japanese 5
Sem2: Intro to Financial Accounting, Corporate Finance, Principles of Macroeconomics, Japanese 6

ReVeL

• Victorian
  • Forum Leader
  • Respect: +3
« Reply #19 on: December 27, 2009, 11:27:15 pm »
I agree, everyone has stated where they're coming from, and it should probably be left at that. Nova I think you should perhaps slow down when you're typing and consider what you're actually saying because a lot of the time your comments are certainly "blurred".

And, for the record, you did mention drinking in your first post.
I was DISGUSTED when I read this point. I am not SURE whether people drink VB at Turkey during the Remembrance day, but in a GENERAL consensus, it is shameful how you drape OUR flag across your shoulder whilst BAGGING people, whilst PISSING YOURSELF WITH BEER, or whislt ATTACKING someone whilst in a "gang" does Cronulla riots ring a bell?  (btw this applies to BOTH sides)
||  2008 VCE Graduate  ||  BCom @ UoM [Accounting & Finance Majors] - Completing 3rd year  ||

TrueTears

• TT
  • Honorary Moderator
  • Great Wonder of ATAR Notes
  • Respect: +667
« Reply #20 on: December 27, 2009, 11:29:33 pm »
[this is going way off topic and has nothing to do with the arguments and shouldn't be analysed as such]

In the suburbs i live a lot of people get gangs together and things like that, i know many of these gangs around and to be honest most (not all) but most of the things i mentioned have been gang related, revenge or things like that. Some of them had it comming, so its not that i dont care about it, ive just kind of gotten use to it. It's never affected me personally.

I think we should just stop here..we should of probably stopped significantly earlier..its not going to get any better here its just going to degrade into i dont have a word for it really but one big shouting and chest beating match.
ysnk's leader is in jail, lololol once he is out, the streets are gonna be dangerous.
PhD @ MIT (Economics).

Interested in asset pricing, econometrics, and social choice theory.

slothpomba

• Honorary Moderator
  • ATAR Notes Legend
  • Chief Executive Sloth
« Reply #21 on: December 27, 2009, 11:29:45 pm »
Anyway, no hard feelings guys i love to talk and i like a lively debate.

Im sure we can agree and share a mutal interest in many other things :D

ATAR Notes Chat
Philosophy thread
-----

*ryan777*

• Victorian
  • Forum Leader
« Reply #22 on: December 27, 2009, 11:31:09 pm »
agreed
Sem1: Priciples of Accounting/Finance, Principles of Microeconomics, Business Statistics, Japanese 5
Sem2: Intro to Financial Accounting, Corporate Finance, Principles of Macroeconomics, Japanese 6

xXNovaxX

« Reply #23 on: December 27, 2009, 11:32:06 pm »
I agree, everyone has stated where they're coming from, and it should probably be left at that. Nova I think you should perhaps slow down when you're typing and consider what you're actually saying because a lot of the time your comments are certainly "blurred".

And, for the record, you did mention drinking in your first post.
I was DISGUSTED when I read this point. I am not SURE whether people drink VB at Turkey during the Remembrance day, but in a GENERAL consensus, it is shameful how you drape OUR flag across your shoulder whilst BAGGING people, whilst PISSING YOURSELF WITH BEER, or whislt ATTACKING someone whilst in a "gang" does Cronulla riots ring a bell?  (btw this applies to BOTH sides)
LOL, fail. I forgot to read BELOW the first horizontal line. And yes, many tell me to slow done >< may need to listen to that

*sigh EDIT: DOWN, not DONE
« Last Edit: December 27, 2009, 11:39:40 pm by xXNovaxX »

*ryan777*

• Victorian
  • Forum Leader
« Reply #24 on: December 27, 2009, 11:35:49 pm »
double fail nova  "many tell me to slow done" slow down just a bit more lol

TrueLight

• Victorian
  • ATAR Notes Superstar
  • Respect: +9
« Reply #25 on: December 29, 2009, 01:34:09 am »
i just wanted to put this quote in even though its probably not 100% relevant over here but i love it and this article does refer to racism...

"Racism is simply an ugly form of collectivism, the mindset that views humans strictly as members of groups rather than individuals...By encouraging Americans to adopt a group mentality, the advocates of so-called 'diversity' actually perpetuate racism. Their obsession with racial group identity is inherently racist...We should understand that racism will endure until we stop thinking in terms of groups and begin thinking in terms of individual liberty"

Ron Paul April 18th 2007
http://www.campaignforliberty.com

Completed Bachelor of Science. Majored in Immunology and Microbiology.

“Who controls the past, controls the future. Who controls the present, controls the past.”
George Orwell, 1984.

"Terrorism is the best political weapon for nothing drives people harder than a fear of sudden death."
Adolf Hitler

“The bigger the lie, the more inclined people will be to believe it”
Adolf Hitler

"Beware the leader who bangs the drums of war in order to whip the citizenry into a patriotic fervor, for patriotism is indeed a double-edged sword. It both emboldens the blood, just

*ryan777*

• Victorian
  • Forum Leader
« Reply #26 on: December 29, 2009, 10:36:40 pm »
i just wanted to put this quote in even though its probably not 100% relevant over here but i love it and this article does refer to racism...

"Racism is simply an ugly form of collectivism, the mindset that views humans strictly as members of groups rather than individuals...By encouraging Americans to adopt a group mentality, the advocates of so-called 'diversity' actually perpetuate racism. Their obsession with racial group identity is inherently racist...We should understand that racism will endure until we stop thinking in terms of groups and begin thinking in terms of individual liberty"

Ron Paul April 18th 2007

interesting, its basically how i see racism cept i never knew how to express it :P

TrueLight

• Victorian
  • ATAR Notes Superstar
  • Respect: +9
« Reply #27 on: December 29, 2009, 10:45:31 pm »
lol i know huh its ... i think of Ron Paul as one of the greatest philosophers of our time  :smitten:  ... whenever your stuck for words he seems to say them right there and then
http://www.campaignforliberty.com

Completed Bachelor of Science. Majored in Immunology and Microbiology.

“Who controls the past, controls the future. Who controls the present, controls the past.”
George Orwell, 1984.

"Terrorism is the best political weapon for nothing drives people harder than a fear of sudden death."
Adolf Hitler

“The bigger the lie, the more inclined people will be to believe it”
Adolf Hitler

"Beware the leader who bangs the drums of war in order to whip the citizenry into a patriotic fervor, for patriotism is indeed a double-edged sword. It both emboldens the blood, just

jay1993

« Reply #28 on: December 29, 2009, 10:52:44 pm »
There is about 192 countries in the world (Dont pull me out on this small semantic number) most of them are very bad places to live we live in one of the better countries (i would say we are within the top 10 places to live).

It's objective however - people have been saying since the dawn of cilivilization their society is declining. One mans decline is another renaissance.

Melbourne used to be "The most liveable city". What happened to that?

stonecold

• Victorian
  • Great Wonder of ATAR Notes
  • Respect: +255
  • School Grad Year: 2010
« Reply #29 on: December 29, 2009, 11:00:49 pm »
There is about 192 countries in the world (Dont pull me out on this small semantic number) most of them are very bad places to live we live in one of the better countries (i would say we are within the top 10 places to live).

It's objective however - people have been saying since the dawn of cilivilization their society is declining. One mans decline is another renaissance.

Melbourne used to be "The most liveable city". What happened to that?

Bit hard to "live" when you've been glassed in the eye.
2011-13: BBiomed (Microbiology & Immunology Major) @ UniMelb

VCE 2009'10: English 46 | English Language 49 | Chemistry 50 | Biology 50 | Further Mathematics 48 | Mathematical Methods CAS 39
ATAR: 99.85

"Failure is not when one falls down but rather when one fails to get up" - unknown