Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

May 29, 2024, 07:39:19 pm

Author Topic: So....what do you guys think of VCAL?  (Read 9993 times)  Share 

ZachCharge

• Victorian
  • Forum Leader
  • Eh...
  • Respect: +3
So....what do you guys think of VCAL?
« on: March 03, 2009, 10:39:38 pm »
Hail,

I've just been wondering...what do you guys all think of VCAL. I mean, I know on our Year 11 presentation night last year they emphasized the point that VCAL is NOT a bludgy alternative for those wanting to do a trade but...when you see kids spending there days at school putting up posters and running sausage sizzles I can't help notice that...ahem...it is a bludge lol.

Anyway, yeah what are you views on VCAL? (I'm surprised there hasn't been a thread for this here lol, I mean it is the limited alternative to VCE...)
Hmm...next year already. Well better set my goals and all...(raw)
Methods CAS [35] Further [42] English [33-5ish?] Lit [35] Revolutions [Ehhh]

Eriny

• The lamp of enlightenment
  • Honorary Moderator
  • ATAR Notes Superstar
  • Respect: +100
Re: So....what do you guys think of VCAL?
« Reply #1 on: March 04, 2009, 08:57:47 am »
I think VCAL is a much better alternative to dropping out of high school. If, for whatever reason, the school deems that a student isn't suited to the VCE, at least they're still able to complete high school. From what I saw, VCAL didn't seem all that bludgy really, they were doing things like mechanics and other trade skills that I'd be useless at. They didn't run sausage sizzles when I was in school, although that kind of thing can have some educational benefit (learning to run a business or whatever).

ZachCharge

• Victorian
  • Forum Leader
  • Eh...
« Reply #2 on: March 04, 2009, 04:32:51 pm »
No sausage sizzles?!? Your school's VCAL kids have it hard lol. Good point though, better than dropping out.

kurrymuncher

« Reply #3 on: March 04, 2009, 04:47:56 pm »
ummmm dont call it academic suicide, VCAL is a good pathway for many people.

IntoTheNewWorld

• Victorian
  • Part of the furniture
  • Hello World
  • Respect: +20
« Reply #4 on: March 04, 2009, 05:08:22 pm »
Some people just aren't suited for VCE. Why go and phail VCE when they could learn more useful things in VCAL? As said, better than dropping out.

Gloamglozer

• The Walking VTAC Guide
  • Honorary Moderator
  • ATAR Notes Legend
  • Here to listen and help
  • Respect: +324
« Reply #5 on: March 04, 2009, 05:11:55 pm »
VCAL is, in my opinion, a very good initiative from the government.  All it is, is an alternative to VCE.  Students who choose to complete VCAL also get the opportunity to complete year 12 and obtain their certificate.

At my school, the students doing VCAL are at school for 3 days and learn English, Maths and other subjects that they choose.  For the other 2 days, they are out working as an apprentice in their chosen trade.

Unfortunately, needless to say, VCAL has its negative stereotypes - which I think is pretty sad considering some of those VCAL students could one day earn more money than someone who completed VCE.

Bachelor of Science (Mathematics & Statistics) - Discrete Mathematics & Operations Research

hard

« Reply #6 on: March 04, 2009, 06:21:07 pm »
VCAL is, in my opinion, a very good initiative from the government.  All it is, is an alternative to VCE.  Students who choose to complete VCAL also get the opportunity to complete year 12 and obtain their certificate.

At my school, the students doing VCAL are at school for 3 days and learn English, Maths and other subjects that they choose.  For the other 2 days, they are out working as an apprentice in their chosen trade.

Unfortunately, needless to say, VCAL has its negative stereotypes - which I think is pretty sad considering some of those VCAL students could one day earn more money than someone who completed VCE.
could? a lot of them will... easily. But it comes at a cost to your health i guess.

wombifat

« Reply #7 on: March 04, 2009, 08:23:33 pm »
Well it probably isn't helped by people like my friend who do VCAL and ask everytime they see you if you have homework just to rub it in that they don't have to do any

Gloamglozer

• The Walking VTAC Guide
  • Honorary Moderator
  • ATAR Notes Legend
  • Here to listen and help
  • Respect: +324
« Reply #8 on: March 05, 2009, 06:43:31 pm »
could? a lot of them will... easily. But it comes at a cost to your health i guess.

Yeah, you're probably right considering Australia is in a shortage of skilled workers.

However, with the health part, it also depends on what sort of occupation you have and how well you look after your body.

Bachelor of Science (Mathematics & Statistics) - Discrete Mathematics & Operations Research

enwiabe

• Putin
  • ATAR Notes Legend
  • Respect: +529
« Reply #9 on: March 05, 2009, 07:03:49 pm »
I'm surprised there hasn't been a thread for this here lol, I mean it is the limited alternative to VCE...

You're absolutely right! I shall insert a VCAL board right away.

ZachCharge

• Victorian
  • Forum Leader
  • Eh...
« Reply #10 on: March 05, 2009, 09:00:43 pm »
Yay I sort of am the cause of a new board :) Now...to tell some more VCAL kids to come to the site.

hard

« Reply #11 on: March 05, 2009, 09:12:29 pm »
Yay I sort of am the cause of a new board :) Now...to tell some more VCAL kids to come to the site.
yer and what's a vcal student gonna do on this site, "help me out with this q: what's two apples plus three?"

jackinthepatch

• Victorian
  • Forum Obsessive
« Reply #12 on: March 05, 2009, 09:13:48 pm »
Haha!
VCE 2008:
Physical Education [50]
VCE 2009:
Business Management [49]
Biology [48]
Further Mathematics [44]
Chemistry [39]
English Language [36]

ENTER: 99.25

ZachCharge

• Victorian
  • Forum Leader
  • Eh...
« Reply #13 on: March 05, 2009, 10:03:48 pm »
Hey...maybe if my school has an apple selling day some kids would be asking that. Joking, well my Chemistry teacher kind of teased VCAL today...We had to find averages for the weight of a group of rubber things because...he wanted to show us how he wants us to set averages out in our book (... ... ...I...have no words)...and said the math is easy as VCAL Numeracy...

nickrosenberg1

• Victorian
  • Fresh Poster
  • Respect: 0
« Reply #14 on: March 05, 2009, 10:07:50 pm »
VCAL numeracy isn't easy. Technically speaking, for some of us it can be hard as your vce maths. And this thread is filled with stereotypes. You assume VCAL will go off and work in the trade industry, and sell cakes and sausages and stuff. its the subjects they pick.

I do VCAL but I don't do any outdoor subjects, all my subjects involve academic and written desk work (literacy and numeracy skills)

to me you know, its hard. I enjoy it though, its a challenge I relish. I love school, so don't judge vcal kids please. It really gets to me when I see posts such as this.