Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

June 07, 2024, 02:24:18 pm

Author Topic: UniMelb vs RMIT  (Read 20133 times)  Share 

Gloamglozer

• The Walking VTAC Guide
  • Honorary Moderator
  • ATAR Notes Legend
  • Here to listen and help
  • Respect: +324
Re: UniMelb vs RMIT
« Reply #15 on: August 16, 2011, 12:13:05 am »
This is one tough decision. I was leaning towards RMIT but that article just blew everything out of proportion.

fml

One article in the media can sway your decision?

Bachelor of Science (Mathematics & Statistics) - Discrete Mathematics & Operations Research

Bozo

• Victorian
  • Forum Obsessive
  • Respect: +3
« Reply #16 on: August 16, 2011, 12:50:12 am »
Well, won't employers take such an article into account? UoM being ranked 1st compared to RMIT 9th for mechanical engineering?

Lasercookie

• Honorary Moderator
  • ATAR Notes Legend
  • Respect: +326
« Reply #17 on: August 16, 2011, 07:55:39 am »
+3
This is one tough decision. I was leaning towards RMIT but that article just blew everything out of proportion.

fml
...and that brings me back to my prestige point.

Completing changing your decision, just because of some list ranked Melbourne at number one, despite the fact that you were leaning towards RMIT, probably isn't the number one choice for you.

I'm going to state again: investigate thoroughly.
Go talk to the lecturers, look at the subjects offered and compare them. Pick the course that offers the subjects you want to take e.g. If you do engineering through BSc at Melbourne, you'll have to take science subjects and breadth subjects - that might be something you might not like (or it might be the other way around - you might want to be doing a lot of science subjects along with your degree). As you've said, the travel factor is an issue for you.

Seriously, who really gives a damn what some rankings company thinks (and how do they actually determine the rankings?). Don't get me wrong, I don't hate Melbourne, in fact I'm hoping to end up there myself. It simply annoys me to people making decisions based on superfluous reasons. 

Both courses are accredited by Engineers Australia - I'm sure you'd be completely fine being able to get a job after graduating from either University. Well Melbourne isn't fully accredited yet - but I'm pretty sure they will be before you graduate (something to do with needing the first batch of students to graduate). Employers would care much more about you as a person and the effort you put in rather than where you were educated. RMIT and Melbourne are both respectable institutions.

tl;dr: who gives a damn about rankings, they change and vary every year.

Andiiio

« Reply #18 on: August 16, 2011, 10:59:38 am »
LOL, realistically, the reason so many people off this forum prefer Monash engineering or RMIT engineering is becaue they get high atars and they don't want to 'waste' it on a course that requires 85 to get in.

LOL, B^3, what are you basing your statements on, an open day at Monash University in which you got a free pencil case and saw a cool building? You're in year 12, you know very close to zero about the quality of an engineering degree at Monash at Melbourne.

In terms of who has the better quality degree, it's Melbourne all the way, don't give me this crap that rankings change every year, you find me one ranking, in the last 10 years, that says engineering is better at RMIT than Melbourne.

Prestige doesn't matter? In terms of engineering, it's a global profession in which you will have the option to travel essentially as much as you want. You go to any Asian university and ask them what RMIT is and then ask them about the University of Melbourne, case closed.

Kopite

• Victorian
  • Forum Obsessive
  • Respect: +1
« Reply #19 on: August 16, 2011, 02:37:55 pm »
I am actually quite interested as to why people believe Melbourne Uni is focused mostly on theoretical studies when compared to RMIT/Monash? And not as hands on?

During my B.Comm with a engineering breadth, I did a total of 20 experiments with prac write ups. I've still got a few more years of a M.E course to go.

Sorry, but having a synchrotron next to a uni doesn't make it more hands on ;)

Andiiio

« Reply #20 on: August 16, 2011, 03:53:33 pm »
It's because RMIT has some TAFE degrees and therefore people associate the whole university with being more 'hands on.'

b^3

• Honorary Moderator
  • ATAR Notes Legend
  • Overloading, just don't do it.
  • Respect: +631
  • School: Western Suburbs Area
  • School Grad Year: 2011
« Reply #21 on: August 16, 2011, 03:55:06 pm »
LOL, B^3, what are you basing your statements on, an open day at Monash University in which you got a free pencil case and saw a cool building? You're in year 12, you know very close to zero about the quality of an engineering degree at Monash at Melbourne.
My opinion is based on looking at the universities over the last three years and talking to people that I know that have/and are going through the courses. It is not formed from the 'superficial' show that the universites put on at open days. I may be in year 12, yes I am not currently going through the course, but I have spoken to others who are, and well my opinion reflects off what they have had to say. Your opinion may be different and thats fine, this is an education forum, but if you really think that I'm choosing a University on what they give out at open days, then you've got to be kidding yourself. All I have done is given my opinion, if you really want to know which is better, then get an actual employer to talk to.
« Last Edit: August 16, 2011, 04:03:06 pm by b^3 »
2012-2016: Aerospace Engineering/Science (Double Major in Applied Mathematics - Monash Uni)
TI-NSPIRE GUIDES: METH, SPESH

Co-Authored AtarNotes' Maths Study Guides

I'm starting to get too old for this... May be on here or irc from time to time.

Lasercookie

• Honorary Moderator
  • ATAR Notes Legend
« Reply #22 on: August 16, 2011, 04:07:40 pm »
In terms of who has the better quality degree, it's Melbourne all the way, don't give me this crap that rankings change every year, you find me one ranking, in the last 10 years, that says engineering is better at RMIT than Melbourne.

Prestige doesn't matter? In terms of engineering, it's a global profession in which you will have the option to travel essentially as much as you want. You go to any Asian university and ask them what RMIT is and then ask them about the University of Melbourne, case closed.
Okay. Yes I do not disagree that Melbourne does A LOT better rankings-wise than most universities (http://www.australian-universities.com/rankings/ - interesting that Monash is ranked the best in engineering there). But I'm saying that that single number is not representative of the quality of the course.

The point I'm still making still stands though - the OP shouldn't make their choice based on a number set by some organisation, they should go out and find how people are enjoying the course, quality of the lecturers and other information that is actually about the course that will affect him/her.  After all, they will be spending their next five years at this institution, you wouldn't want to get in and realise the course isn't for you.

Let me repeat that, the OP will be committing to this university for five years. Sure you could transfer out - but why not make a completely informed choice now and not have to waste that time.
« Last Edit: August 16, 2011, 04:09:40 pm by laseredd »

Andiiio

« Reply #23 on: August 16, 2011, 04:08:40 pm »
+2
My father hires engineers. This isn't his primary function in the company he works for but he does do it once or twice a month. He told me that  honestly, he or any interviewer has never cared one bit for what university, what your marks were at university. The only time it has ever actually mattered was when they had a student graduating with some prestigious honours from Harvard and they were genuinely impressed. If you were to take two VCE students, one from Scotch, one from 'crappy high' and interview both, and one had flying marks throughout high school and the other had average marks, but when you interviewed them, the latter could tell you everything there was to know about your profession, presented himself well and clearly loved this job, you would not care that the other has come from a 'prestigious' school. It's the same when you're applying for a job, even diluted greater. However, having said that, from his knowledge, he is more impressed with Melbourne's graduates, but that's a personal preference and changes from job to job.

Andiiio

« Reply #24 on: August 16, 2011, 04:11:53 pm »
+1

Okay. Yes I do not disagree that Melbourne does A LOT better rankings-wise than most universities (http://www.australian-universities.com/rankings/ - interesting that Monash is ranked the best in engineering there). But I'm saying that that single number is not representative of the quality of the course.

The point I'm still making still stands though - the OP shouldn't make their choice based on a number set by some organisation, they should go out and find how people are enjoying the course, quality of the lecturers and other information that is actually about the course that will affect him/her.  After all, they will be spending their next five years at this institution, you wouldn't want to get in and realise the course isn't for you.

Let me repeat that, the OP will be committing to this university for five years. Sure you could transfer out - but why not make a completely informed choice now and not have to waste that time.

I agree with most of your sentiments just from the people who I've talked to, they've all really enjoyed their degrees, be it Melbourne, RMIT or Monash. For what it's worth, lecturers regularly change between RMIT, Melbourne and Monash, so the quality is the same.

b^3

• Honorary Moderator
  • ATAR Notes Legend
« Reply #25 on: August 16, 2011, 04:17:20 pm »
If you were to take two VCE students, one from Scotch, one from 'crappy high' and interview both, and one had flying marks throughout high school and the other had average marks, but when you interviewed them, the latter could tell you everything there was to know about your profession, presented himself well and clearly loved this job, you would not care that the other has come from a 'prestigious' school.
I Completely agree with what you have said here, there is no point in having a fancy degree if you cannot do squat in the real world.
However, having said that, from his knowledge, he is more impressed with Melbourne's graduates, but that's a personal preference and changes from job to job.
May I just ask, is this from the last couple of years, or before the change of system?

And yes that is just personal preference, he is just one employer and I'm sure there are others employers out there that share the same opinion, and others that think Monash/RMIT is better and then also others who don't give a crap and hire you if you can get the job done efficiently.

Really we should be basing our preferences on how we feel about the university and what we are going to get out of it, some may get more out of say VU then Melbourne as it suits then better (I doubt it though, I'm just trying to make a point). AS you can tell, I don't like Melborne and their set-up, but that is just my opinion.
« Last Edit: August 16, 2011, 04:18:52 pm by b^3 »
2012-2016: Aerospace Engineering/Science (Double Major in Applied Mathematics - Monash Uni)

I'm starting to get too old for this... May be on here or irc from time to time.

Lasercookie

• Honorary Moderator
  • ATAR Notes Legend
« Reply #26 on: August 16, 2011, 04:23:23 pm »
I think the new Melbourne Model students graduate this year. I know they haven't yet graduated (that's why Melbourne has to have that disclaimer that they've only been provisionally accredited, not fully accredited on their website).

It was either this year or next year I heard from one of the lecturers at Melbourne, I can't quite remember what was said.

kamb0z

• Victorian
  • Forum Regular
  • Harro.
  • Respect: +3
  • School: Dandy High
« Reply #27 on: August 16, 2011, 04:39:32 pm »
I think the new Melbourne Model students graduate this year. I know they haven't yet graduated (that's why Melbourne has to have that disclaimer that they've only been provisionally accredited, not fully accredited on their website).

It was either this year or next year I heard from one of the lecturers at Melbourne, I can't quite remember what was said.

First Melbourne Model students graduated last year, my sister was one of them. (2008).
« Last Edit: August 16, 2011, 04:41:18 pm by kamb0z »
2010: Business Management [47]

2011: Legal studies [47]  | Economics [46] | Accounting [48] | English [44] | Methods [44]

Atar: 99.40

Lasercookie

• Honorary Moderator
  • ATAR Notes Legend
« Reply #28 on: August 16, 2011, 04:45:39 pm »

First Melbourne Model students graduated last year, my sister was one of them. (2008).
Fair enough - odd that Melbourne's forgotten to take that off their website then. lol

b^3

• Honorary Moderator
  • ATAR Notes Legend
« Reply #29 on: August 16, 2011, 04:47:59 pm »
Wait, didn't the melbourne model start like 07,08? As in the full restructure. What course did your sister do and how long was it?