Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

June 07, 2024, 04:53:44 pm

Author Topic: UniMelb vs RMIT  (Read 20135 times)  Share 

kamb0z

• Victorian
  • Forum Regular
  • Harro.
  • Respect: +3
  • School: Dandy High
Re: UniMelb vs RMIT
« Reply #30 on: August 16, 2011, 04:53:48 pm »
Wait, didn't the melbourne model start like 07,08? As in the full restructure. What course did your sister do and how long was it?

The Melbourne Model was first implemented for the 2008 students. My sister did a Bachelor of Commerce for 3 years.
2010: Business Management [47]

2011: Legal studies [47]  | Economics [46] | Accounting [48] | English [44] | Methods [44]

Atar: 99.40

b^3

• Honorary Moderator
  • ATAR Notes Legend
  • Overloading, just don't do it.
  • Respect: +631
  • School: Western Suburbs Area
  • School Grad Year: 2011
« Reply #31 on: August 16, 2011, 04:57:52 pm »
Oh that works then, engineering is like 4 years (including the honours) so yeh that would be the end of this year.
2012-2016: Aerospace Engineering/Science (Double Major in Applied Mathematics - Monash Uni)
TI-NSPIRE GUIDES: METH, SPESH

Co-Authored AtarNotes' Maths Study Guides

I'm starting to get too old for this... May be on here or irc from time to time.

cranberry

• Victorian
  • Forum Obsessive
  • Respect: +5
« Reply #32 on: August 16, 2011, 05:14:20 pm »
im going melbourne for civil engineering hopefully...considering whether to go through commerce or environements...
Master of Civil Engineering and Bachelor of Science at the University of Melbourne

VCE:
2010: Revolutions [36]
2011: English 45, Legal Studies 38, Physics 37, Chemistry 34, Methods 36

Kopite

• Victorian
  • Forum Obsessive
  • Respect: +1
« Reply #33 on: August 16, 2011, 05:27:46 pm »
I think the new Melbourne Model students graduate this year. I know they haven't yet graduated (that's why Melbourne has to have that disclaimer that they've only been provisionally accredited, not fully accredited on their website).

It was either this year or next year I heard from one of the lecturers at Melbourne, I can't quite remember what was said.

First Melbourne Model students graduated last year, my sister was one of them. (2008).

I think you're mixed up. A basic undergrad will have graduated last year. But the first batch of students doing the Masters of Engineering will graduate next year.

kamb0z

• Victorian
  • Forum Regular
  • Harro.
  • School: Dandy High
« Reply #34 on: August 16, 2011, 05:31:35 pm »
I think the new Melbourne Model students graduate this year. I know they haven't yet graduated (that's why Melbourne has to have that disclaimer that they've only been provisionally accredited, not fully accredited on their website).

It was either this year or next year I heard from one of the lecturers at Melbourne, I can't quite remember what was said.

First Melbourne Model students graduated last year, my sister was one of them. (2008).

I think you're mixed up. A basic undergrad will have graduated last year. But the first batch of students doing the Masters of Engineering will graduate next year.

Hmm, I thought the others were just referring to the Melb Model undergrads in general.
2010: Business Management [47]

2011: Legal studies [47]  | Economics [46] | Accounting [48] | English [44] | Methods [44]

Atar: 99.40

Kopite

• Victorian
  • Forum Obsessive
« Reply #35 on: August 16, 2011, 05:40:49 pm »

Hmm, I thought the others were just referring to the Melb Model undergrads in general.

oh, i thought they were talking about the first batch of masters students, cos laseredd was talking about how the first batch of engineering students need to have graduated first in order to attain accreditation. in any case, question answered.

Bozo

• Victorian
  • Forum Obsessive
« Reply #36 on: August 28, 2011, 07:59:22 pm »
What i find a little daunting is the fact that to be eligible for Masters at UoM i need a 65% average in the last two years of my science degree. I don't know what the difficulty at university is, or how hard it is to obtain that. In saying so what if i wasn't eligible for masters, then the whole point of Melbourne uni would be pointless.

cranberry

• Victorian
  • Forum Obsessive
« Reply #37 on: August 29, 2011, 05:23:17 pm »
Bozo, could you tell me if science is the best pathway into masters of engineering @ UoM from your experience?
Someone i know who's in environments @ UoM going to masters eng, is telling me to go through RMIT or Monash...

I had my eyes set on UoM until now :S...

any thoughts?
ty
Master of Civil Engineering and Bachelor of Science at the University of Melbourne

VCE:

Bozo

• Victorian
  • Forum Obsessive
« Reply #38 on: August 30, 2011, 09:26:40 pm »
I'm not in uni lol, i'm looking for the same advice you are.

Kopite

• Victorian
  • Forum Obsessive
« Reply #39 on: August 30, 2011, 09:33:58 pm »
Bozo, could you tell me if science is the best pathway into masters of engineering @ UoM from your experience?
Someone i know who's in environments @ UoM going to masters eng, is telling me to go through RMIT or Monash...

I had my eyes set on UoM until now :S...

any thoughts?
ty

The opinion of someone doing environments might be a bit iffy, cos their degree is aimed at entry into architecture courses aswell - so they may not be doing that many engineering related subjects (i don't know what year they're in).

I'm doing the M.E having come from a b.comm, but in the end, the only difference is that people who do a b.sci and then a m.e have to do a few extra electives to satisfy the 200 point requirement in the masters. you do all the same core subjects.

Bozo

• Victorian
  • Forum Obsessive
« Reply #40 on: August 30, 2011, 09:56:57 pm »
Was it difficult getting into the Masters, i.e having a 65% average score.

cranberry

• Victorian
  • Forum Obsessive
« Reply #41 on: August 31, 2011, 02:24:16 pm »
I know that @ UoM the bachelor + the masters eng is 5 years, but at monash and rmit, there r no masters afterwards? does that mean the bachelors take 5 years, but masters is added ontop (@ monash and rmit)?

VCE:

Kopite

• Victorian
  • Forum Obsessive
« Reply #42 on: August 31, 2011, 03:47:09 pm »
Was it difficult getting into the Masters, i.e having a 65% average score.

I came from a Commerce degree, which is pretty tame compared to a Science degree in terms of difficulty. That said, a large chunk of my subjects were in engineering/maths, so it's still not that easy.

It really depends on the student. I felt I still needed to work to guarantee my spot as I'm not a talented student like most of the people on here.

Kopite

• Victorian
  • Forum Obsessive
« Reply #43 on: August 31, 2011, 03:51:05 pm »
I know that @ UoM the bachelor + the masters eng is 5 years, but at monash and rmit, there r no masters afterwards? does that mean the bachelors take 5 years, but masters is added ontop (@ monash and rmit)?

There is an important distinction between the Masters course at Melbourne, and a Masters course at another institution. Disregard the title Masters because it is effectively a Bachelors equivalent plus a few extra subjects thrown in. When I tell people I meet that I'm doing a Masters of Eng, they always say - 'so you'll get paid more?' I laugh, cos at Melbourne, it's not really a postgraduate course in the same sense as other institutions.

A Masters degree from Monash (+a b.eng) will give you a higher qualification than a B.Sci and M.E at Melbourne.

cranberry

• Victorian
  • Forum Obsessive
« Reply #44 on: September 03, 2011, 06:28:08 pm »
okay. So what about a double degree @ monash (eg eng/commerce, eng/arts) compared to a bachelor sci/masters eng @ melbourne?

What ur saying is they're equivalent, but monash degrees are a higher qualification? right  ???

PS  you also said your doing commerce going to masters eng @ UoM, do you regret not doing a commerce/eng double at monash - ie would you have preferred doing that course pathway?

thanks heaps for the info

VCE: