Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

May 29, 2024, 05:07:53 pm

Author Topic: Encountering Conflict SPEECH - the crucible :D  (Read 1946 times)  Share 

Zafaraaaa

• Victorian
  • Forum Obsessive
  • Respect: +7
  • School Grad Year: 2011
Encountering Conflict SPEECH - the crucible :D
« on: November 02, 2011, 01:43:12 pm »
The way in which conflict is resolved determines how we heal and move forward

Indian Prime Minister Indira Gandhi once proclaimed that “you can’t shake hands with a clenched fist”. Teachers and students, I stand before you today to impart upon you this essential piece of advice. The ways in which many of us resolve conflict or dispute are through means which are not sustaining or are simply ineffective.  Speaking of “clenched fists”, I’m sure many of you would be reminded of the many schoolyard brawls and “punch-ons” that have unravelled in the past week. As the principal, I am extremely disappointed at such behaviour and have thus, taken it upon myself to right the wrongs in whichever way is possible. But for their misconduct, the year 12 boys will not be issued detention. This time around, none of you will be suspended. Why? Because time and time again, I’ve come to realise that such means of resolution only cloud the conflict and does not extinguish the root cause. We need to delve further into these brawls and understand why they happen in the first place. We must determine what influences such horrendous behaviour from supposedly “mature” year 12 boys. Only then can we move towards a more sustaining resolution, so that such violence does not flare up once again in the future. Only then, can we heal and move forward, once and for all.

The greatest of my concerns is that these year 12 boys are meant to be role-models for the younger students. I know that many of you younger students would attempt to imitate their misconduct. I also acknowledge that conflict is an inherent part of everyone and that we cannot completely eradicate it from this school. But we can find ways of better dealing with it, and of better resolving it. Year 12’s, your English teachers sitting here in the front row have informed me that you are studying ‘Encountering Conflict’ for your VCE English context. Coincidentally, I too would like to know how these year 12 boys had encountered conflict, so that I may be able to deter such violent brawls from recurring in the future. Your teachers have also informed me that you are studying Arthur Miller’s play, The Crucible. I should let you all know that as a University student, I myself had studied this play, and it seems to me that none of you here have taken on board the lessons of 1692 Salem. Let me remind you, that in times of hysteria, we should not discard our rationality. It is not moral for you to fight with another student just because you ASSUME they are persecuting or mocking you. It is not moral to ostracise another student on the basis of accusations or falsehood. I will not tolerate such horrendous conduct in this Christian school. You year 12’s know the destructive nature of accusations and assumptions! Do not allow your classmates to suffer like the tragic John Proctor or the stalwart Rebecca Nurse! Just like these innocents were “hanged high over the town”, you persecute your classmates who have not wronged you in any way. How will we resolve this tension in our school? We will not keep persecuting others, piling lie upon lies like they did in Salem! We will not superficially cover up this conflict or suppress it for a short-term solution. Students, this is where I apologise, for I feel as though through my corrupted authority, I hindered the proper resolution of this conflict. You see, I thought it was easier to sign another suspension form, rather than actually listening to what the boys had to say and I refused to listen to their side of the story. Thus, I believe it is now time for us to explore and fix the underlying tensions which continue to ignite the flame of conflict which has so greatly tarnished the name of this school.

But we need not only look to Salem to see the disastrous repercussions of improper resolution to conflicts. Many of you here might have studied “On the Waterfront” for your VCE text, and know of a director named Elia Kazan. I don’t mean to bore you all with a history lesson, but in 1940’s -1950’s America was plagued by a fear of communism, called McCarthyism, just as you students are plagued by a fear of those who are different or possess different views and values to yourself. When Kazan and Miller were put before the House Un-American activities committee to “name names” of communist sympathisers, Kazan named a few of his friends to save his own career, while Miller stood resolute and refused to place self-preservation above his morals. Regardless, because this conflict was so quickly covered up and simply set aside, there was no proper means for resolution and the resentment people felt towards Kazan was enduring. So much so, that even 50 years later, when Kazan achieved a “Lifetime Achievement Award”, many fellow actors and actresses refused to stand up and applaud. So you see, conflict can be extremely detrimental to the human spirit if it is not properly resolved. Let us not merely cloud the conflict like they did in Salem. Let us not forcibly end conflict like they did in McCarthyist America. Let us not allow the embers of conflict to remain burning below the surface, and let us extinguish them, so that these tensions will not flare up again in the future.

I’d like to finally remind you, that when conflict arises, do not employ temporary solutions to what could become a permanent crisis. Because as we have seen with the year 12 boys, temporary solutions may be underlying a more permanent and intense conflict. When you see the flames of conflict, extinguish them completely, even if that means addressing the root cause by talking to a friend, teacher, or even myself. I strongly and earnestly hope that each one of you will strike the balance between order and freedom. And as American social worker Mary Parker Follet once acknowledged: “There are three ways of dealing with difference: domination, compromise and integration. By domination, only one side gets what it wants. By compromise, neither side gets what it wants. And with integration, we may find a way by which both sides may get what they wish. So year 12’s, let us not shut our conscience, and let us march forth towards integration, so that we may better resolve this conflict to heal and progress forward, once and for all.

Thank you.

and THANKS for reading!  ;D ;D ;D
« Last Edit: November 02, 2011, 01:48:09 pm by Zafaraaaa »
"Be kind, for everyone you meet is fighting a hard battle" -Plato

paulsterio

• ATAR Notes Legend
  • I <3 2SHAN
  • Respect: +430
Re: Encountering Conflict SPEECH - the crucible :D
« Reply #1 on: November 02, 2011, 01:49:09 pm »
It's a speech right? - It sounds too much like an essay - you need to include more "speech-y" elements - such as repetition, emphasis, alliteration. A speech is different to an essay in that it needs to emphasise its key points. Like if you read it aloud right now, it doesn't sound like a speech, it would sound as if you are reading, you need more assonance.

Try listening to one of Barrack Obama's speeches, you'll see how he effectively uses pauses, repetition and emphasis in order to express his point of view. Whilst giving evidence, he constantly refers back to his main point in order to ensure that the listener does not lose track of what he's saying

Btw, try rhetorical questions :) - they're nice

Greatness

• Victorian
  • ATAR Notes Legend
  • Respect: +103
« Reply #2 on: November 02, 2011, 02:14:45 pm »
+1
It's a speech right? - It sounds too much like an essay - you need to include more "speech-y" elements - such as repetition, emphasis, alliteration. A speech is different to an essay in that it needs to emphasise its key points. Like if you read it aloud right now, it doesn't sound like a speech, it would sound as if you are reading, you need more assonance.

Try listening to one of Barrack Obama's speeches, you'll see how he effectively uses pauses, repetition and emphasis in order to express his point of view. Whilst giving evidence, he constantly refers back to his main point in order to ensure that the listener does not lose track of what he's saying

Btw, try rhetorical questions :) - they're nice
Yep agreed, you should just turn into an expository essay :P
Also i found it kind of lame when you said i studied this is university etc ahah but it works i suppose.
p.s. i liked your interview more :)

paulsterio

• ATAR Notes Legend
  • I <3 2SHAN
  • Respect: +430
« Reply #3 on: November 02, 2011, 05:05:41 pm »
Also i found it kind of lame when you said i studied this is university etc ahah but it works i suppose.

Yeah, it works, but it sounds unprofessional - like would a great speaker such as Barrack Obama say that?:)

Zafaraaaa

• Victorian
  • Forum Obsessive
  • Respect: +7
« Reply #4 on: November 02, 2011, 10:05:47 pm »
Thanks for the feedback everyone! But is this relevant to the prompt?? or deviating from it??
"Be kind, for everyone you meet is fighting a hard battle" -Plato